BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 K1200RS and lost the speedometer the other day. The cluster works fine, but the indicator shows 10-20MPH even while going over 70. Bumps do "bump" it up to 40 but it is right back to 10-20MPH. Also, the miles tick up just as they would at 10-20MPH.

I have called the dealer but was told the typical, "bring it in" but wanted to see if any of you know more about the system. I have checked most of the wiring, but there is two wire bundles coming off the rear wheel assembly. I have no ABS warning lights, so that is checking out fine.

I hope I have given you enough details.

Thanks
Kyle :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
chilei said:
I have a 2000 K1200RS and lost the speedometer the other day. The cluster works fine, but the indicator shows 10-20MPH even while going over 70. Bumps do "bump" it up to 40 but it is right back to 10-20MPH. Also, the miles tick up just as they would at 10-20MPH.

I have called the dealer but was told the typical, "bring it in" but wanted to see if any of you know more about the system. I have checked most of the wiring, but there is two wire bundles coming off the rear wheel assembly. I have no ABS warning lights, so that is checking out fine.

I hope I have given you enough details.

Thanks
Kyle :confused:
Is it an electronig type (no speedo cable)? If so, unplug the connectors between the back and the speedo and ensure they are not corroded.

If it is a type that uses the traditional speedometer cable, then your cable is shot.

Bob.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Its happened to me after wet riding and after pressure washing. I once read there's a connector for the rear wheel sensor, but I haven't looked for it yet. Since I had the clocks in and out a few times recently, cleaned everything electrical and sprayed WD40, my intermittent speedo has gone away so I'm assuming that could be where the problem was.

If it happens again, I'll have the rear sensor out and take the time to pin this problem down better, as many others have had it. I suspect the sensor is simple and inductive, so its output may be very high impedance. Therefore any moisture near a connector could easily track its output to ground. For the electronically challenged, if the sensor is not an active Hall device then it should be buffered (amplified) close to where it fits.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had a similar problem recently, checked the connectors, cleaned the sender and it has been ok since.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I checked the connectors but I may need to use some spray. There has been no water to speak of, but anything is possible. I will follow your suggestions.

Thanks again!
Kyle

·
Registered
290 Posts
chilei said:
Thanks for all the replies. I checked the connectors but I may need to use some spray. There has been no water to speak of, but anything is possible. I will follow your suggestions.

Thanks again!
Kyle
One other thing to check (that was alluded to by another poster) is the actual sensor itself. It is a magnetic pickup consisting of a small magnet with a coil. IT senses the changes in magnetic field caused by a toothed wheel rotatoing past it. In other words, it is essentially the same thing as an electric guitar pickup!

What can happen is that a bit of metal from the angle drive can stick to the magnet, interfering with the sensing process. This is what happend to my old K100. Just remove the sensor (usually only one or two screws) and clean it's business end thoroughly with a clean cloth.

Otherwise, often all that is needed is to extract and insert each connector a few times to wipe any light oxidation off its contacts. These contacts SHOULD be gold plated since the current generated by the sensor is tiny (a few microamps). But they are usually only tin plated, and sometimes subject to oxidation.

Bob.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My speedomenter fix was simple - replaced the instrument cluster. Bad news is it's $950.29 for the part plus installation. Good news is I was 100% covered by extended warranty. More good news is that mine was acting way different than yours - spend some time on the connectors and try to feel lucky.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where did you find extended warranty?

allenclarkson said:
My speedomenter fix was simple - replaced the instrument cluster. Bad news is it's $950.29 for the part plus installation. Good news is I was 100% covered by extended warranty. More good news is that mine was acting way different than yours - spend some time on the connectors and try to feel lucky.
Thread hijack... which extended warranty and how much. I've been searching with no luck. Please advise. Less than 2 weeks remaining!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to fix this problem, through a couple of the posts here.

The issue was solved after I was checking the speedo pickup as suggested, While looking into the hole where the pickup is mounted (the top of the drive), I noticed that there is a sleeve which is made of metal and "notched", this is what creates the field to generate speed. While looking at this, I noticed a piece of dirt, put my pinky in to get the dirt and the sleeve moved freely much to my surprise. So I looked further and noticed that it also had play in the lengthwise axis. I pressed the sleeve over the area it is supposed to be on and noticed that it could go further with only finger pressure, I used a screwdriver to push each notch towards the wheel (didn't take a lot of pressure). I put the sensor back on and it has been working perfectly. I am still consulting the dealership if this is possibly missing a piece in the drive, but I wanted to inform everyone who gave suggestions as to how it was finally fixed.

The key was... CHEAP FIX and that is the type of fix that I like!

Thanks again!
Kyle

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Chilei, I was reading into doom and gloom with bits falling off in the final drive and pain to open it up, just to sort out a speedo.

Follow this link then /rear axle/ differential gearset:

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/MainDiagrams.asp?mospid=47830

The part you talk about is (2) Impulse sending wheel $12. It's not obvious what stops it rotating on the drive shaft but that's important and you shouldn't be able to rotate it with your screwdriver/pinky with the rear wheel on the ground!

Lateral freeplay may be designed in with shims, however the further away from the sensor the wheel moves, the less is its output and any leakage/dampness in the wiring may still stop it working if it slides back to its furthest position.

The question for the dealer is 'should there be lateral tolerance of the impulse sensor on the final drive shaft? what is it and have you got too much'.

When I've looked for this problem in the past, I've removed the sensor, checked wiring and by magic things start working again for 6 month or more sometimes.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vox,
Thank you very much for the link to the fiche, I added this to my favorites immediately. I did stop by the dealer and was told that looking at the manual, it is designed like this and it is likely just a movement that is not common and occured over the past years. In feeling the resistance, I believe it, though I will be watching it carefully for the next couple months. It only takes a minute to remove the sensor and check it for movement.

Thanks again!
Kyle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you all for your helpful replies! At first I cleaned off the sensor then tore the fairing off looking for all possible connectors....after messing around with that for an hour I took the rear wheel sensor off again and realized the magnetic thing that triggers the sensor was not moving in sync with the wheel when I spun it....it was loose...I simply pushed it back over with a screwdriver and the problem was solved. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
creamydog15 said:
Thank you all for your helpful replies! At first I cleaned off the sensor then tore the fairing off looking for all possible connectors....after messing around with that for an hour I took the rear wheel sensor off again and realized the magnetic thing that triggers the sensor was not moving in sync with the wheel when I spun it....it was loose...I simply pushed it back over with a screwdriver and the problem was solved. Thanks!
Now you have to make a post asking how to keep it there!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts