BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

my "new" 2005 K12 that I bought as a project bike is now, in addition to the ABS light and clutch noise (that I knew about before purchase, but you can't argue with only 2500 eur price for an otherwise-unblemished example xD), throwing an overheating warning light as soon as I turn the ignition on (even when the engine hasn't been running for days) and that warning light stays on as the bike as it starts and runs.

Any idea what that could be about?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What does the temperature bar graph indicate?
Thanks for responding! IIRC (not with the bike right now) the graph is empty. Haven't really had time to do more with the bike than turning it on a few times since we had workers working on the house and thus no time. The last time I noticed the light I turned the bike off ASAP. Since then I haven't done more than just turned ignition on (without turning the engine itself on) to check it was still there so the engine is completely cold. Could it be thermostat or some other sensor?

·
Registered
88 Posts
You need to get an OBD reader or a GS-911 and see if there are any codes. Don’t clear them. Then look at the output of the temp sensor in the software. if it seems to read the correct temp and communication to the sensor is good, you could pull it and put it in some hot water of a known temperature and see if the sensor matches your thermometer in the water. If that pans out, clear the code and see what the bike does. Start it and run it up to temp with the reader/gs-911 monitoring. Hopefully that will sort it out or at least give you an idea of where the problem lies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to get an OBD reader or a GS-911 and see if there are any codes. Don’t clear them. Then look at the output of the temp sensor in the software. if it seems to read the correct temp and communication to the sensor is good, you could pull it and put it in some hot water of a known temperature and see if the sensor matches your thermometer in the water. If that pans out, clear the code and see what the bike does. Start it and run it up to temp with the reader/gs-911 monitoring. Hopefully that will sort it out or at least give you an idea of where the problem lies.
Great idea, thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I second the Motion with CStump.

It would Beehoove you to perform all the software tests, and check outs before tearing into sensors, wires and the machines harness. This will also allow you to determine your 2500Euro Bikes overall condition.

A service manual is also advised.

Happy Hunting
Yeah, I just ordered an OBD2 adapter. It's funny to have a bike with a diagnostic ability for Torque, I'm used to that with cars, but not bikes. :D

Then again, in my 12 years of owning my Gsxr nothing has ever broken down, except the battery draining after I forgot to turn off my Chinese grip-heaters, lol, so never needed to diagnose that bike.

Hopefully OBD will also help to identify my ABS error. Realized too late what a mistake I made buying a BMW with an ABS warning light, all solutions are expensive. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you order the adapter? The connector on the bike is round, not a trapezoid like a standard OBD port.
Yes, I did. Took a week to arrive. The strange part is there are NO fault codes at all! None. I tried Torque, OBD Doctor and 2 more apps for Android whose names escape me. The adapter and the OBD work, I get information from sensors for RPM, temperature, etc., but no fault codes after repeated scans. Yet the ABS light is still blinking, and the temp fault light is still there and the fan turns on as soon as the bar graph reaches half height. I'm stumped. I wanna avoid having to take the bike to BMW stealership, but it's definitely looking like I'll have to do something like that for them at least to put it on their computer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That sucks. I was hoping for a bad sensor. The only other thing I can think to do before going the dealership route, is to drain the coolant and refill using a vacuum fill kit. An air bubble trapped were there is a sensor can cause that to happen. The ABS light won’t go out until you ride the bike and get it above 15 mph, so I would not worry about that unless you have ridden it and it does not turn off.

·
Registered
269 Posts
@k12gxr, did you try Motoscan app? That's specific to the BMW bikes, and will show you any codes with the free version. Its an Android app.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@k12gxr, did you try Motoscan app? That's specific to the BMW bikes, and will show you any codes with the free version. Its an Android app.
No, I haven't, I'll try, thanks!

That sucks. I was hoping for a bad sensor. The only other thing I can think to do before going the dealership route, is to drain the coolant and refill using a vacuum fill kit. An air bubble trapped were there is a sensor can cause that to happen. The ABS light won’t go out until you ride the bike and get it above 15 mph, so I would not worry about that unless you have ridden it and it does not turn off.
I disconnected the battery for 20-30 min to clear ECU, connected it and the overheating icon was again there, on a cold engine. Would an air bubble do that?

·
Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
147 Posts
Just guessing. I would think an air bubble would not indicate enough heat to turn the fan on. I think you have narrowed this to a bad sensor or a wiring problem. Have you done any work lately that might have pinched or pulled a wire? If you can connect a known working sensor then heat that with a heat gun to see if you get normal appearing indications, you will be able to see if the problem is the sensor. Good luck. Anybody got a spare sensor he can borrow?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tried Motoscan App, I have a cheapo OBDII dongle that still worked with all of my previous cars and with my father's Subaru, but when I try to select Control Unit it gives me a red error message at the bottom and if I go back into BT settings on my phone the bluetooth is suddenly disabled for some reason. It worked 2 times and gave me a green messages (forgot the text) but didn't go into any further menus. :(

Just guessing. I would think an air bubble would not indicate enough heat to turn the fan on. I think you have narrowed this to a bad sensor or a wiring problem. Have you done any work lately that might have pinched or pulled a wire?
No work at all. Bought the bike a few weeks ago, hadn't had time to do anything because of work on the house. When it was delivered the overheating light was not on, only the ABS fault blinking quickly, it appeared only later.

Anybody got a spare sensor he can borrow?
Kind of you to offer this route, but as I'm in Central Europe I think it would be a bit difficult. :)

·
Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
147 Posts
Lots of K-cycles all over Europe. Lots of members of this forum there. I believe if you enter your location in your profile, your flag should appear under your name. It seems you are having a bit of bad luck. Hang in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts