BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I read through Fried Chicken’s post and I think the conclusion was that a K1300 trans should be a straight drop in to a K1200 provided the K1200 clutch is retained. Just looking for a bit of confirmation on that and a couple of things:

1. The thrust pin from a K1300 will NOT work with a K1200 clutch (Reason I ask - the used trans I picked up came with one)
2. The shift position potentiometer is different on the K13 than the k12. The used trans came with one attached. Does it plug into the exisitng harness or do I need to do some wiring surgery?

Thanks!

·
Registered
632 Posts
The thrust adapter from the 06 k12 also seems to fit the k13. Pt no. 21527702448 .
Its length is 72.05mm. I think this length came about after March 06 replacing the previous length of 22.5 mm.
21527714017 is another pt no with a 72.1mm o/a length from Jan 2008
I fitted a k13 thrust adapter to my ‘08k12 clutch.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Are you sure Chris. I thought the only difference was the oil pump sprocket 11267675452 which has 6 pins to drive the oil pump as opposed to the k13 sprocket 11417716119 which has 2 opposed elongated lugs. I believe this k13 sprocket can be fitted to the k12 shaft to suit the k13 clutch basket.
Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
362 Posts
Well it was a strange one for me, I didn’t work on the bike my mate did, a mate as in he was insistent on doing it for nothing and I was insistent he was wasn’t we know each other very well, when he stripped the clutch and gearbox I went and bought an 11000 mile 1300 motor, and when he stripped it was happy that the 1300 box was a straight fit, but the clutch wasn’t.

As I said in the other post, I run the bike with an aftermarket QS and to say it’s a quantum league better is a gross understatement and most certainly not felt that I need the 1300 clutch fitting which I still have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it was a strange one for me, I didn’t work on the bike my mate did, a mate as in he was insistent on doing it for nothing and I was insistent he was wasn’t we know each other very well, when he stripped the clutch and gearbox I went and bought an 11000 mile 1300 motor, and when he stripped it was happy that the 1300 box was a straight fit, but the clutch wasn’t.
Thanks - for now I”m going to go with a K1200 clutch unless the clutch in this thing is completely hosed then I’ll consider K13 or a later K12 clutch setup (I’m honestly not sure when this one was built - I’ll need to grab some info off the VIN plate later this morning).

The thrust adapter from the 06 k12 also seems to fit the k13. Pt no. 21527702448 .
Its length is 72.05mm. I think this length came about after March 06 replacing the previous length of 22.5 mm.
21527714017 is another pt no with a 72.1mm o/a length from Jan 2008
I fitted a k13 thrust adapter to my ‘08k12 clutch.
Got it - so March 06 is the cutover date for the thrust adapters. I’ll ask the shop to check the two and use teh K13 one if its the same length as I think the K13 one has an additional oil groove in it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
As I live just around the corner from my mate who worked on the bike and his workshop is part of our daily dog walk,called in this afternoon to ask the question and Capt Howdy is right about the 1300 parts that need fitting in the 1200 if you want to fit the 1300 clutch……but his words….there’s no need the 1200 clutch is good enough it’s the box that’s crap and currently I can confirm his observations and the way it works now with a QS is another league compared to how my tractor K-Sport box was.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Nick, the K1300S trans will be a straight swap save for 2 parts:

1. The thrust pin will likely need swapping out (and should be swapped out for increased oil flow to the clutch - something BMW figured out after releasing their 2005 prototype bike).

2. The gearshift indicator. For some reason the retarded aftermarket industry decided to sell those separately. Electrically they will work (including the electrical connector to the wiring harness), but physically the K12S gear indicator will not fit inside the K1300S transmission so you need to make sure to source that if you want gear indication while the clutch is pulled in. BMW is clever though, if you don't have a gear indicator installed, it will calculate the gear based on the RPM and Speedometer info.

1. The thrust pin from a K1300 will NOT work with a K1200 clutch (Reason I ask - the used trans I picked up came with one)
The clutch is irrelevant here, any pin should work with any clutch. The pin slips into the input shaft of the transmission, and that's where the compatibility issues arise. I'd get the upgraded part (in my thread) regardless b/c it has two grooves to allow more oil flow.

As I live just around the corner from my mate who worked on the bike and his workshop is part of our daily dog walk,called in this afternoon to ask the question and Capt Howdy is right about the 1300 parts that need fitting in the 1200 if you want to fit the 1300 clutch……but his words….there’s no need the 1200 clutch is good enough it’s the box that’s crap and currently I can confirm his observations and the way it works now with a QS is another league compared to how my tractor K-Sport box was.
The outer clutch basket yeah, it's fine and you can leave it alone. The inner clutch basket you might want to drill some additional holes.... ggaahhh I shouldn't throw that out there without providing a direct reference, but I'm too lazy to search. If you look at the inner clutch basket you'll see like 2 holes drilled, in later bikes BMW drilled a few more holes to allow more oil flow to the clutch (this is a common theme on K1200S vs K1300S transmission and clutch parts). There's information on the internet about this somewhere, but I can't immediately find it. I wouldn't do the cushion spring upgrade on the outer clutch basket - not worth it. Just make sure you're putting the outer clutch basket in under tension. I used a large flathead and did questionable things to my gears.

Reactions: Sunde

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hey Chris. Where did I say. ”…there’s no need the 1200 clutch is good enough it’s the box that’s crap…”. The best 1200 clutch was the late model one that used the hardened basket. I did say that until John Sykes modified my clutch that I thought bmw made bad gearboxes but it was in fact a bad clutch

·
Registered
362 Posts
Are you sure Chris. I thought the only difference was the oil pump sprocket 11267675452 which has 6 pins to drive the oil pump as opposed to the k13 sprocket
View attachment 32542
That’s my interpretation of your post.

Plus I have a spare 11000 mile clutch forsale if I thought I needed it I’d go to the hassle of the other 1300 parts and fit it myself but I don’t.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Chris. Where did I say. ”…there’s no need the 1200 clutch is good enough it’s the box that’s crap…”. The best 1200 clutch was the late model one that used the hardened basket. I did say that until John Sykes modified my clutch that I thought bmw made bad gearboxes but it was in fact a bad clutch
Which year did the new clutch basket come out? Is that the 08+ one?

·
Registered
362 Posts
When you have a mo do some home work….like K1200s was launched in September 04 it was a disaster and they all got shipped back to Germany and BMW spent the next 2 years playing catch, I actually test rode an 05 1200s towards the end of 05, it was a bloody disgrace BM had no idea what they were doing and I walked away, the K Sport was a step in the right direction but go ride a 1300 and you’ll realise what a steep learning curve BMW have been on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When you have a mo do some home work….like K1200s was launched in September 04 it was a disaster and they all got shipped back to Germany and BMW spent the next 2 years playing catch, I actually test rode an 05 1200s towards the end of 05, it was a bloody disgrace BM had no idea what they were doing and I walked away, the K Sport was a step in the right direction but go ride a 1300 and you’ll realise what a steep learning curve BMW have been on.
Im sorry but just lol
What you are saying is a mix of truths (there were 100% early K12 bikes that were lemons). But jesus dude lol.
I'll not start another of these debates, but damn its fun that you keep spewing this. "BM had no idea what they were doing and I walked away,"
Just FYI. There are plenty of k12 bikes of any year that to this day ride and run flawlessly (probably not early 04-05 gen without some mods at least) but later gens, 100%. You talk as if there isn't a single K12 out there that does not ride like a POS lol. (Not saying there are no shortcommings mind you, but the K13 is a evolution not a revolution, i'v ridden 3 K13's and no, they aren't that much more awesome lol.)

OP Is your original gearbox not working, or are you making these upgrades "in advance" for peace of mind? Sorry if you already stated this but i couldnt find it.
Reason i am asking is that the K12 gearbox (unless damaged) isn't actually that bad as far as i know, you'll find many K12 gen owners who only upgraded the clutch and saw massive improvements.

·
Registered
632 Posts
“…., but go ride a 1300 and you’ll realise what a steep learning curve BMW have been on.”

I have ridden a couple of k13s and have stated that they are more refined than the k12. But I seem to remember switch gear issues, hot start issues, and brakes, electrical, engine and suspension recalls affecting the k1300
So are they that much better that I would sell my k12 to get one. No! Speaking of doing homework — check out the Kawasaki recalls

1 - 20 of 30 Posts