BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I had an idle problem with my 2012 K1300R which got worse over time. It started occasionally to stall when idling when it was hot and got worse over several months where it would not idle at all after if got hot and you could not shut the throttle off without it stalling. After a second visit to BMW they sorted it out for me, and this is what they said..The fault you had was caused by a combination of things. The breather pipes between the engine and bottom of air box were blocked with residue, this can be caused by atmospheric conditions (plus heat from engine) causing moisture to congeal and block the lines. This then causes a pressure build up which pushes oil to rise to the top of the engine and into the air box. Then as the idle actuator sits at the bottom of the air box this can then become contaminated with oil and not function correctly. Over time this can progressively get worse to the point that we got to with yours.
The repair to fix this was basically cleaning these parts out (air lines, idle actuator and air box). Hope this helps out and hopefully saves you some time and money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When I took off the air box on my 2007 K1200 R Sport I saw a lot of debris. With 7 vacuum lines and two or three electrical connections there is a lot of stuff there and it was pretty dirty on the outside and the inside. Good idea to get in there and clean it all up. The clamps on the air box are a little tricky without the right tool but a small screwdriver and a pair of needle nose with a lot of patience gets it done.

·
Registered
2012 BMW K1300S (also 1993 BMW R1100RS and 1974 BMW R60/6)
5 Posts
#K1300Stalling #K1300Idle

Software version K024-18-07-500 MIGHT be the silver bullet.

My 2012 K1300S exhibited sporadic stalling behavior (pull up to stop sign, engine quits instead of idling) ever since new. Despite multiple returns to the original dealership, they never did solve it. Over the years the problem would come and go; during my first ride of the season in 2015 she stalled a dozen times, literally at every single stop sign -- then not once for the entire remainder of the year.

This year while on tour in Colorado it got REALLY bad, to the point of sometimes being virtually unrideable. Gory details can be found at:
After returning to Michigan I took her to BMW Motorcycles of Detroit for fuel pump replacement (recall 21V-060). I asked the mechanic Don Lusk to try to solve the stalling problem. He found no mechanical problems, but there had been a software version update released in 2018; prior to that the last one applied was 2013.

Since then I've ridden 250 miles with no stalls. It will take a LOT more miles to get any degree of "confidence" but so far the indications are favorable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts