BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to post this before investigating further in case anyone else has experienced the same thing...

Got my 2010 K1300GT out of the garage this morning. There was an instant rattling noise as soon as she fired up. It lasted about 2 seconds, and then went back to sounding sweet. I immediately hit the kill switch. I started it again and there was no unusual noise.

I have had the bike for about 2 weeks; ridden about 500 miles. Most of my rides are 6 miles to (and from) work. It was last ridden yesterday at 4pm.

I will see if the noise returns after the bike has been sitting all day in the work car park, but thought I would post in case anyone else has experienced this?

There are no warning lights on the dash. Oil level indicates its fine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've had that same rattle on startup after the bike has been sitting at work on the side stand, on a slight incline. I was told that it is cam chain adjuster not being fully pumped up with oil. The noise goes away after it is started; like you said, it only lasts about a second.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had that same rattle on startup after the bike has been sitting at work on the side stand, on a slight incline. I was told that it is cam chain adjuster not being fully pumped up with oil. The noise goes away after it is started; like you said, it only lasts about a second.
Thanks. So you were told its nothing to worry about?

Curious that it hasn't done it before today. I'll see if it does it after work in another hour.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Most of these bikes make some cam chain rattle noises at times. Considering the negative consequences of the cam chain jumping a tooth and the timing going out of spec (as in piston to valve contact!) I suggest you find out if the cam chain tensioner and jump guard are in place, functioning, and updated as necessary. Spend a few bucks now or a few thousand if it goes badly.

Reactions: Meese

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
It may be normal, or it may be a sign that the cam chain tensioner is going bad. The BMW tensioner fills with oil, and the oil pressure causes the piston to push against the cam chain to absorb the slack in the cam chain.

There were two different types of BMW cam chain tensioner. The original one was flat on top. The new (still current) one has a short protruding cylinder.

I gave up on the BMW cam chain tensioners. Mine originally came with the flat top kind. The dealer replaced that with the new version. It failed over time. The dealer put in another "new" one, but it failed, too.

I replaced it with the ACE cam chain tensioner. It is operated manually. You screw it down to the correct position and tighten a lock nut. Easy peasy. The only issue is that you should adjust it periodically, perhaps every other oil change, or as often as you feel comfortable. Since I installed the ACE cam chain tensioner, the bike has been quiet on startup and while running. It just works. In my opinion, you should give that a try.

APE - BMW1000RR Manual Cam Chain Tensioner
https://www.ascycles.com/BMW-k1300gt-parts-accessories/catpageindex/2/ProductID/45610

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bought mine in Oct of last year. Had similar, occasional startup rattle as well. I don't like it either. -shrug-

Parked it in mid-Dec for winter and fired it up for the first time last Sat. Had it on the center stand.

Quiet as a church mouse. Of course I'll still listen for it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Mine was actually in the shop last week to fix a valve cover leak (again) that they tried to fix earlier under warranty. They checked the valve cover to make sure it wasn't warped and they found that the cam chain rail guide was pushing up against the valve cover. BMW goodwilled the replacement of the rail guide and said they have seen this before. The tech thought it may have something to do with the jump guard that they install on the GT's pushing up a little on the bottom of the rail guide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts