BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a rather scarey incident last weekend. Driving along a straight road at about 60mph I suffered a total collapse of my rear suspension. Luckily I managed to get the bike stopped safely and into a lay-by.
It was total luck that this happened on a straight road, as I'd already been out for 3 hours!

The problem turned out to be the suspension deflector lever had completely snapped in half! It looks like one of the bushes was seized, and the suspension wanted it to move, resulting in the lever snapping.

I have a replacement bought off Ebay for about £35 and will fit it this weekend (see pic)

I've got the Repair and Service Data BMW Motorrad Edition CD but cannot find the torque settings for both nut/bolts.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Cheers
Mark
Wood Automotive tire Floor Kitchen utensil Tool

·
Registered
41 Posts
WOW, makes me want to remove mine to make sure the bushings are in good shape and there's no stress cracks in the aluminum.
Without a torque spec I would assume best practices for something like that would be to clean the threads carefully put a drop or two of blue loctite tight until snug and then another 8th to quarter turn. Over tightening could only stress the bolt or again cause the bushing to bind cracking that dog bone all over again

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,200 Posts
There was a recall on these a few years back. The new ones a little bit stronger. Also with the recall was a service note to clean and lube the needle bearings in it and the two other locations in the area for a total of 4 bearings. This is to be done every two years. As you found, it can be nasty. This service is not listed on the normal service schedules. (along with many other items that need regular attention)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say 4 bearings, you're talking about 2 on my deflector lever and 2 on the triangular plate right?
I'll see if I can loosen off those bolts to see if I can get at the bearings.
The service data say Optimoly TA but that seems hard to find. Any thoughts on the lube to use?

·
Registered
41 Posts
For rubber bushings on motorcycles or any place where it's exposed to the elements I use a high quality synthetic brake caliper lube.
Brake caliper lube is temperature resistant will not wash out and is safe with all rubber bushings. It never seems to dry out crack flake or ooze risking greasing your tire.
Product Liquid Font Gas Electric blue
Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Bottle cap Tire

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I use marine water resistant grease. Same stuff I put in the lip seals of front wheel bearings. Owen, if you look around there you will find the system is secured by four bolts, I'd have to go look to be specific by you will find them, none hidden.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have a look at this

The whole thread is interesting, relating to the plates/dog bone. The torque is 38mn, but you won't get a torque wrench to the nut of the front of the dogbone. Just do the others, get a feel for the correct torque and use the same for the front one. Also apply treadlocker. Grease the other bearings while you're in there. As Schwabenmax suggests in their installation instructions, slide out the bushings by 3/4 grease the bearings, and slide the other way. Alternatively, take the whole lot off and disassemble. That might be a good idea as the dogbone snapped due to siezed bearings, so examination of the others might be a good idea.

And why are you tipping the bike on it's side? As it's a GT, you can do it on the centerstand. Just support the rear wheel (I used a wedge of wood). Also put the stand on a 1" plank or similar to get more working room under the bike.

Reactions: EricK1300GTSE

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
J wrote "For rubber bushings on motorcycles or any place where it's exposed to the elements I use a high quality synthetic brake caliper lube. " good for a rubber bushing subject to sliding or rubbing but the defector linkage bearings have no rubber bushings. You have bolts that need Loctite (blue) on the threads and needle bearings that need grease. The seals for the bearings could use a bit of grease (or your syn lube but keeping the syn lube out of the bearings will be just about impossible. Thus, water resistant grease all around. Getting to the lower right forward bolt in this assembly is difficult. An extension for your torque wrench is needed or just fake it, the least desirable option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
J wrote "For rubber bushings on motorcycles or any place where it's exposed to the elements I use a high quality synthetic brake caliper lube. " good for a rubber bushing subject to sliding or rubbing but the defector linkage bearings have no rubber bushings. You have bolts that need Loctite (blue) on the threads and needle bearings that need grease. The seals for the bearings could use a bit of grease (or your syn lube but keeping the syn lube out of the bearings will be just about impossible. Thus, water resistant grease all around. Getting to the lower right forward bolt in this assembly is difficult. An extension for your torque wrench is needed or just fake it, the least desirable option.
Thanks for the correction!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts