BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, had my k1300gt for around 12monts now, regular commuting in and out of London, love it until tonight.

Started bike up, battery light stayed on so started driving home, got about 10miles before losing lights, then instrument cluster died. Breakdown man came said it was alternator. He charged battery up to get me home and on way heard a click and battery started charging again.

Your thoughts 馃

Registered
Had a alternator replaced on a RT, by BMW,,, cost me 拢650 and that was about 10 years ago.

When I checked the price of alternator only that was 拢480. so got the stealers to do it.

Check those connections..

John,

Registered
Here in the States you can get your Alt. rebuilt for pretty reasonable or you can pick up low miles used on eBay for a fraction of what a dealer costs.

I had an unusual Alt. experience when I first bought my '08 K 12 S. After hearing a pulsating whirring sound, I pulled the Alt off and discovered the Drive Plate which carries the Rubber Transfer Bearings had bent out of plane a good 100 thou. When I showed it to the local dealer they said they had never seen that before. I had the Alt. gone thru at a local auto elec. shop and had them replace the bearings. That was 4 or 5 years ago and I haven't had any trouble with the charging system since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts