BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Looking into buying such. A 2010 model more preceisely. My insurance company says there exist 2 models and the pricing is different.Anybody that know about 2 different models, numbers, and differences?

br Lars

·
Addict-oholic
1,423 Posts
larsras said:
Hi

Looking into buying such. A 2010 model more preceisely. My insurance company says there exist 2 models and the pricing is different.Anybody that know about 2 different models, numbers, and differences?

br Lars
there was the 2006-08GT, the firs version and then the 2009-2011GT the 2nd and last version.Your insurance company neds a lesson.
The pre 2006GT was a dressed up RS, different engine and style.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The insurance agent should be able to quote the correct rates by using the VIN, so if you can get the VIN of the bike you are interested in that should work.
My wife was pleasantly surprised at the rates on my 07 K1200GT, I think the rates are based on a touring bike similar to a Goldwing, not the 150mph missile that it is.

·
Registered
430 Posts
GillyWI said:
The insurance agent should be able to quote the correct rates by using the VIN, so if you can get the VIN of the bike you are interested in that should work.
My wife was pleasantly surprised at the rates on my 07 K1200GT, I think the rates are based on a touring bike similar to a Goldwing, not the 150mph missile that it is.
i;de hit the like button on this post..

·
Registered
176 Posts
Like GillyWI says, they should be able to go by the vin--but don't be surprised if they are still clueless. 2003-2005GT = Brick K motor, 2006-2008GT= Wedge K Gen1, 2009-2010GT= Gen2.

When I bought my '10GT I had to switch insurance carriers. National General refused to insure the bike, saying it was on their list of verboten machines to insure. I patiently explained that it's a touring bike-- saddlebags, big windhield, heated seat and grips, cruise control, yada yada-- made no difference to them. All they knew was that it was on "their list".

Good luck

GTRider

·
IBR# 366
3,155 Posts
Note his location as Denmark, guys. They do things a bit differently over the Big Pond. :)

The UK and Euro K12GT & K13GT bikes came as a Base model, with fewer options installed, and an SE model, with all the bells and whistles included (heated seats & grips, cruise, ESA, etc.).

There was also a K1300GT Exclusive Edition offered in 2010 finished in Granite Grey Metallic that included every option including a color-and-key matched 49L trunk.

So I'm guessing his insurance company is differentiating between the Base and SE models, which originally sold for different prices.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I guess it is the SE model they are taking in at an higher price.

The one i'm looking at is not the SE, but it has all the extras, so it vill be interesting to just tell them the VIN number, and then get lower price for the insurance :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Good catch, Ken, hopefully the VIN will do the trick for him.

·
Registered
752 Posts
GillyWI said:
I think the rates are based on a touring bike similar to a Goldwing, not the 150mph missile that it is.
The GT gets a 'touring bike' insurance rating because the base configuration from the factory equips it with a windshield and luggage while the nearly identical S is rated as a big-displacement sport bike.These two categories are on opposite sides of the accident rate spectrum so there is a huge insurance cost disparity between them. GT owners just luck out here I guess.

·
Registered
357 Posts
smiller said:
GT owners just luck out here I guess.

I just heard on the news that satan was looking for his coat and gloves! :teeth

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
OTOH maybe the insurance companies know that they spend 1/2 the riding season in the shop!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts