BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

K1300GT ESA Shock Replacement

15K views 41 replies 20 participants last post by  EricK1300GTSE 
#1 ·
I'm starting a new thread because most all the posts I've read here are a couple of years old and I'm trying to get the straight story.

I had a conversation with one Wilbers rep who said "yes, send us your OEM shocks and we'll build the new Wilbers, putting the old adjustment motors on them and send them back for reinstall."

I contacted another rep here in the States who said that "Due to the problems with the ESA motors and the limited adjustability of ESA in general" that Wilbers does not offer an ESA replacement for my bike.

It does look like Wilbers may offer ESA replacement for at least the R1200GS but not my K1300GT. This may have been missed by the first rep I talked with but the whole subject has left me confused. Everyone that I've talked with has been extremely happy with their Wilbers shocks on their K1200/1300. The way the first rep sounded, changing shocks was a no brainer, now I need to rethink the whole project.

I've owned Ohlins on my '05 LT and they made an amazing improvement, so I can appreciate the difference in improved shocks.

Can I get after market shocks in ESA form to replace the factory ones?

Does Wilbers offer ESA for some bikes but not others?

Is ESA worth giving up for the ride of the Wilbers or another brand for that matter?

Any thoughts on Ohlins, or another brand for that matter on the K1300GT?

Thanks,
Del Brisson

See less See more
#2 ·
EPM Performance is the company that will transfer the ESA motors to Hyperpro shocks for the K1300GT. This is the route I'm taking when it comes time to change shocks. If you can live without the ESA, a good set of Wilbers will do the job. Here is the contact info:

Klaus Huenecke
EPM Performance Imports
Email: info@epmperf.com
Phone: 732-786-9777
www.epmperf.com

#4 ·
Thanks for posting this new thread. I am having the same issue with my K1300GT. The front shock is leaking and needs to be replaced. I can feel a noticeable difference with the bike. After talking with one of the local dealers (Concord, CA), they pointed me towards Ted Porter. I called them and found out that they only have one front shock available to me and that is the WILBERS 630 SERIES FRONT SHOCK / Damping & Manual Pre-Load Adjustments. Purchasing and installing that shock means I have to let go of the ESA for the front of the bike. It's $599 and I have to get it installed elsewhere. The replacement BMW shock was quoted at $1700 + installation.

I was told it is manually adjusted and that there are more setting on the Wilbers than on the BMW shock. I'm not one to do a lot of the twisties and would probably find a setting or two I like, but I doubt I would be changing the setting too often.

From what I've found, it doesn't seem like there is a non-BMW front shock that I can buy that allows me to still use the ESA and it doesn't seem like I can get the current shock rebuilt. I ride a lot and would love to replace it with the BMW shock, but that is a lot of money. I'll probably go with the Wilbers shock.

#5 · (Edited)
Go here https://www.beemershop.com/category/suspension-products-294.html for Ted's K1300GT suspension bits.

A road bike such as a K13GT won't frequently use the electronic suspension option, I know I don't, it's mostly set-and-forget, partly because I'm at the upper range of adjustability (280 lbs.) so it's two-helmets and stiff all the time. When the wife gets on, where is there to adjust to? Noplace. So ESA is of no practical use to me.

The Wilbers option offers "manual adjustment" but a prospective purchaser should be clear just how that adjustment is achieved in real life, since the shock is deeply hidden under the plastic. I think Ted would pre-set the shock if provided the rider's weight (range) and kind of riding anticipated.

I visited Ted's shop 2.5 years ago while passing throught, met the man himself and he took 45 minutes from his busy day to talk to a complete stranger. I was impressed by his knowledge and cordiality. He also reassured my wife that my tires were good for some distance yet, which mitigated her anxiety.

#8 ·
I'm in the same boat myself as far as ESA goes, since I weight (grumble hrumph cough) pounds I'm at the top of adjustability anyway for the ESA. The reality is a manually adjustable shock would probably work better for me since I'd presumably have a wider range of adjustment to work with.

The ESA shocks work fine for now, and since I ride like an old man I'm not taxing them much. When the time comes I'll go with whatever manually adjustable shock is available.

#9 ·
Hi BMW K1300GT experts! I am new to this forum and new owner for a 2009 K1300GT with about 50000km on it. I'm from Toronto, Canada.

I have a question regarding the screws for what I think is the ESA adjustment.
While topping up the oil and inspecting the bike I noticed a round spindle hanging from a cable and resting on the rear left swingarm, looks like it is loose and has two missing screws, it goes up and screws into the rear shock reservoir, I believe this is the control actuator? / adjustment for the ESA settings. Must have come loose cuz of vibration or over use of the ESA.

I looked at the parts diagrams on various online shops, but this is part of the rear shock and there is no detail info on the specs or size of these 2 screws.
Is this an easy fix? do I just place it back on and screw it on? Please help! I am an experienced rider but trying to familiarize myself with the ins and out of this otherwise fantastic bike.

#11 ·
Anyone done the shock replacement themselves? For the rear, the manual, after the removal of the rear wheel, lists disengaging and releasing all kinds of stuff. Is that really necessary? Every youtube video I've watched of removing the rear shock on a BMW - of course none being a K1300GT - shows only the removal of the rear wheel.

#12 ·
Yes, everything rear of fueltank except swingarm need's to be removed and or loosened. This is my k13S when i took out the esa shock. Wiring loom hangs loose, oiltank is loose and just hanging in the lines and some steelwire, plate on left side where the aux outlet is is removed, still hard to reach the connectors for the esashock but is possible, no weight can be on the swingarm.

Attachments

#17 ·
Do you happen to have any pics of your dismembered bike whilst you were doing this, I'm about to undertake this same procedure and remove my ESA for a rebuild at a UK based firm called Firefox racing in Keighley, West Yorkshire for 250 quid thats pounds sterling to you.

#14 ·
I understand that this is a somewhat older post, but I was wondering if anyone has ANY experience with having the Wilbur shocks (front and rear) installed on a K1300GT, elimimating the ESA. I purchased a 2009 K1300GT with very low miles, but during the inspection/12K service that the local BMW dealer did on the bike once I took possession, they discovered that the rear shock was leaking. My local Wilbur reps (Beemer Shop in Scotts Valley CA) told me that Wilbur makes replacement shocks for the bike, but that I would have to give up the ESA capabilities in going with them. The guy was immensely friendly and knowledgeable, so I was surprised when he told me that rebuilding the stock shock is impossible because of the lack of replacement parts (I found a guy in New Jersey who can rebuild the K1300GT ESA shocks). Ok cool, if I replace the rear shock, I would also have to replace the front shock to make sure both ends are "balanced". I understand that concept but what I thought would be a simple shock rebuild, has now turned in to having both from and rear shocks replaced. Now while I wouldn't mind replacing both shoicks, what I would like to know, is are the Wilbur shocks that much better than the stock shocks? Do they feel and/or perform that much better? Or should I just have my leaking rear shock rebuilt by EPM in New Jersey? Again, the delta in cost between the two options is significant, but I'm willing to purchase the Wilburs if the increase in performance warrants the additional cost. So again, does anyone have any experience with the Wilburs on their K1300GT?

#15 ·
You can rebuild them both, no need for replacements. As long as the electric motors are working all you need is replace seals, oil and gas. All standard parts.
If the motors are bad then ship them to esarepair.com

That company is run by the designers that worked at WP and built the damn things from the start, they can source ALL parts for these shocks.
Last i checked the will overhaul both your shocks for about 550usd plus shipping.

I never trust anyone that says things cant be repaired and then want to sell something to me instead.

I repaires my esa shocks at a local company, all i needed was seals, oil and gas, rest looked lle new they said, cost med 300usd.

#16 ·
I don’t have a 1300GT but have fitted Wilbers front and rear to my k12R,replacing the ESA. The difference was amazing. The suspension was much more supple and offered a wider range of adjustments. In saying that the ESA had done 60k miles but was still working and had no leaks. The only adjustment I make to the rear suspension is to stiffen it up a little for a pillion. Actually easier than the ESA ,cos I don’t have to turn the ignition on, wIt for the start sequence an then for the ESA TO activate. The only disadvantage is not being able to adjust on the fly but is that really a disadvantage?
These are the Wilber’s I fitted
Rear.
642 with remote adjuster

Front

#18 ·
Here is how to do the job. Personally I think it is easier to remove the complete rear sub frame rather than tip it up to the tank. I have wilbers shocks on m K13S it used to have the ESA. When I needed to change it was just the beginning of shops rebuilding the ESA units. Ted Porter is a great guy, but I'm not really a fan of his partner in the shock room. Hard to get him to listen to what you want. "he knows best" attitude does not work for me. when removing the oil tank from its connection to the rear sub frame be careful, maybe spray some penitrating oil on the fasteners first they are nut certs that can spin in the square tube. Do not cross thread them going back in.

Attachments

#19 ·
Well my 09 K13GT rear shock puked oil everywhere yesterday so now it's my turn.

I bought the bike with 19K and now it has 46K and I've never once noticed any difference in the ESA settings

What little research I've done shows Ohlins no longer makes a replacement so it's a Wilber or a rebuild, is that correct?

#21 ·
So update, managed to get the front out last night, pretty easy with an engine stand and a ratchet strap. Now to send them off for a rebuild. Found a shop in Queensland, easier and cheaper on freight than sending them to the UK.
Automotive tire Suspension Gas Auto part Machine

Musical instrument Idiophone Bell Font Art

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

Footwear Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tire

Checked the front leading link ball joint and all ok the link bearings also seem ok. No play or knock in them.

#22 ·
Seems like these ESA shocks are reaching the end of their service life on many of the K1300GT's. My rear shock went out in a hurry once it saw it was leaking. Just trying to figure out if i want to get the stock one rebuilt by EPM performance in New Jersey or just go the Wilbers route. I plan on keeping the bike long term so i may go for the Wilbers. I don't ride 2 up so the on the fly adjustability doesn't mean that much to me.

#24 ·
Another happy Wilbers user here.

I got mine from BeemerShop in CA, who did an excellent job. I ordered over the phone to get exactly what I needed and installed them myself, then the next time I was down that way I had them do a test ride to dial them in. No complaints.

I've also heard good things about EPM in NJ from various forum members who have used them.

#26 ·
I plan on ordering the Wilbers 640 rear shock today from Ted Porters Beemershop for my K1300GT. Seems like the best choice for the long run. No more worry about an ESA motor going out in the future. I have two other bikes with fully adjustable suspension front and rear and a Harley Road Glide with adjustable rear suspension(Legends Revo A). The ESA works ok but with fully adjustable suspension you can set it just right to your load and riding style. I think i could appreciate the Wilbers, The front shock is still fine after 37,000 miles but i will replace it with the Wilbers 630 later this year when i can fit it into my bike parts budget. It is only a matter of time before it goes out but for right now no need of fixing something that ain't broke. Those doggone things are expensive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.