BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a mess of bikes when I bought my 2007 K1200S I really fell in love with that in-line motor. I have an 18 K 1600 grand American and an 18 road glide special also a 2009 tiger 1050 I found a 2009 K 1300 GT in beautiful condition with low mileage with the bikes I have do you think it would be a good idea or not such a good idea. I don’t think I would sell my 1200s just because I bought this I’m more worried about it pushing the grand America out. I do realize that a 12 year old bike does not have all the goodies that my new one does for say one thing I’m not sure about and I did not ask the owner yet does the 2009 K1300 GT has shift assist. ? Is this bike going to be let’s say in between my K1200 and my K1600 or more like my K1200s but more comfy. By the way I have a Wunderlich handlebar conversion on my K 1200s
This Red bike in photo is it

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
the K1300 got a lighter front fork set up, so handles and rides better, it got a gearbox that functioned and double the power

shift assist is AWFUL on BMW they have NO idea what they are doing it was a toy u can have on the K1300S - I didn't think it was ever on the GT
not sure why you'd ever want it - but you could fight the software and may be retrofit it - but the GT has all the toys and likely a different ZFE and Engine Map (so enless u can get at BM software code unlikely you'd get it to work - the FSC "software license and enablement" would have to be hacked too)

for the GT its not lised

but the stupid toy is listed as available on the K1300S and R

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This 2009 I am picking up on Tuesday it does not have shift assist I didn’t know if it was an option I don’t care about that I have shift assist on my K1600 grand American Which I don’t use much but it’s kind of cool.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the shift assist on my K13S. It works great and emits awesome barking noises everytime I grab a gear. No idea why you think it's terrible.
What year is your K 1300 S. Is shift assist an option or what year did it start out on

·
Registered
190 Posts
I love the shift assist on my K13S. It works great and emits awesome barking noises every time I grab a gear. No idea why you think it's terrible.

shift assist was an option on high spec S models the GT can't have it

all it does is makes the gear lever incredibly stiff. on all 5 BMWs I've tried with this, it made changing gear an unpleasant, uncomfortable hideous experience and after an hour you had to work harder and end up with a sore foot... the resistance to changing up made shifting hardly any quicker, just an uncomfortable fight

all it brings is the ability to scare pedestrians with a childish fart and will just help towards getting motorcycling banned... and of course an increase in wear and tear on the gearbox

I tried a 2018 Triumph tiger with this pointless feature and the difference was phenomenal
in the user menu's was a choice to have it on or off,
Off it was perfect, just like a grown up bike.
On it worked nearly PERFECTLY, crashing it (or should I say trashing the box) on down changes, it was far closer to getting this right vs BMWs "Pro assist" joke efforts
but so what, never had an issue changing gear on a bike, it's one of the easiest bits there is to riding - this issue is you have to bother to change gear - not the complexity of doing it, and shift assist doesn't add anything here

·
Registered
184 Posts
What year is your K 1300 S. Is shift assist an option or what year did it start out on
2013 and it came standard. I think it's been standard since 2009.

all it does is makes the gear lever incredibly stiff. on all 5 BMWs I've tried with this, it made changing gear an unpleasant, uncomfortable hideous experience and after an hour you had to work harder and end up with a sore foot... the resistance to up changing up made shifting hardly any quicker just an uncomfortable fight

all it brings is the ability to scare pedestrians with a childish fart and will just help towards getting motorcycling banned... and of course an increase in wear and tear on the gearbox

I tried a 2018 Triumph tiger with this pointless feature and the difference was phenomenal
On it worked nearly PERFECTLY, crashing it (or should I say trashing the box) on down changes, it was far closer to getting this right vs BMWs "Pro assist" joke efforts
but so what, never had an issue changing gear on a bike, it's one of the easiest bits there is to riding - this issue is you have to bother to change gear - not the complexity of doing it, and shift assist doesn't add anything here
OK Debbie Downer, enough. We all get it, you don't like quick shifters. The OP was just asking the question, "Does the 2009 K13GT come standard with shift assist?", and you vomit this diatribe. Try to stay on topic or consider starting a new thread.

Here's a few suggestions to title your new thread, "The Entire Motorcycle Industry is Wrong About Quick Shifters, let me tell you why" or "Quick Shifters will get motorcycles banned, repent before it's too late". 😁

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

all it does is makes the gear lever incredibly stiff. on all 5 BMWs I've tried with this, it made changing gear an unpleasant, uncomfortable hideous experience and after an hour you had to work harder and end up with a sore foot... the resistance to up changing up made shifting hardly any quicker just an uncomfortable fight

Interesting I have shift assist on 2018 K 1600 and it is flawless
2013 and it came standard. I think it's been standard since 2009.

OK Debbie Downer, enough. We all get it, you don't like quick shifters. The OP was just asking the question, "Does the 2009 K13GT come standard with shift assist?", and you vomit this diatribe. Try to stay on topic or consider starting a new thread.

Here's a few suggestions to title your new thread, "The Entire Motorcycle Industry is Wrong About Quick Shifters, let me tell you why" or "Quick Shifters will get motorcycles banned, repent before it's too late". 😁
I was told only on the 1300s not the GTs but this doesn’t have it and it’s a loaded 2009 GT weird

·
Registered
190 Posts
for the doubters... I remembered a few points that came to me about downshift assist once they eventually worked out how to do it

My KTM 1290 nutter idiot machine doesn't have shift assist - but got MSR (motor slip regulation), an idea to reduce wheel lock up for ham-fisted idiots that can't ride. Turns out torque limiting slipper clutches can't work fast enough in the real world (when cornering and riding really badly they don't help out fast enough for today's poly pocket electronic nannies to try and save the day). So KTM invented I guess the pre-curser to down shift assist. If you smash it down the box badly enough the nanny's feel you need helping out, it opens the throttle faster than a slipper clutch to remove too much engine braking. Does it work - sort of - if you are trying to bend a selector fork then yes the engine picks up a smidge to lessen the damage.

And the same goes for both examples of downshift assist I've tried. On a BMW it down shifts like a clumsy thug on day one of training school (AKA truly awful). And on the later Triumph Tiger its like a girl changing down on her third day of riding school (bloody awful but could have been worse - see day one).

And do you need any of it on the k13300GT ? yesterday I rode my old K1300GT (now on 21k miles) the gearbox was better than I remembered, light easy and a fast change. An interesting experience - warmed it up put in sport and gave it everything it had... the howl as it rips past 8k sounds impressive - the speed on the dial made me wounder why I bothered - that much effort on my GS and I be going much faster

then I remembered about two years back - a mate on his africa twin disappeared just short shifting through the box and I'd had to stamp down 2 gears and wait for half an hour for the GT to wake up - whilst he's put a 1/4 mile gap on me - and I only just caught him up, yes I had her on the back adding another 60 kg to the100kg BMW fought very hard to add (they must have had to weld in lots of extra lead on the faring panels to do it.... ) but how can it sound so quick when it definitely isn't ?

edit

haha - BMW just put MSR on the 2022 K1600

BMW also added a new six-axis IMU and a new engine drag torque control system (MSR) to help manage rear wheel slip. A form of traction control, MSR compares the rotation speed of the two wheels and, with the help of the IMU, determines how much rear wheel slip can be safely allowed. When down-shifting, for example, the system opens the throttle valves to level out the drag torque and maintain stability. In the Road and Rain ride modes, MSR is tuned to maximize riding stability. When the Dynamic mode is active, the system is a bit more lenient, allow slightly more slip before kicking in.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a mess of bikes when I bought my 2007 K1200S I really fell in love with that in-line motor. I have an 18 K 1600 grand American and an 18 road glide special also a 2009 tiger 1050 I found a 2009 K 1300 GT in beautiful condition with low mileage with the bikes I have do you think it would be a good idea or not such a good idea. I don’t think I would sell my 1200s just because I bought this I’m more worried about it pushing the grand America out. I do realize that a 12 year old bike does not have all the goodies that my new one does for say one thing I’m not sure about and I did not ask the owner yet does the 2009 K1300 GT has shift assist. ? Is this bike going to be let’s say in between my K1200 and my K1600 or more like my K1200s but more comfy. By the way I have a Wunderlich handlebar conversion on my K 1200s
This Red bike in photo is it
Looks like a nice bike. Being a 2009, you'd better check it's had all the recall work done (cam chain jump guard, hot start mod, etc).

My GT has been great. It had had all the recall work done but the cruise control stopped working so I got a left switch-block under the BMW insured warranty it came with and the kill switch stopped the engine working when in very strong direct sunlight (a known problem) and the right switch-block was replaced under warranty too. Apart from that its been faultless for 21k miles (36k showing now).

I have a 1300S Motorsport edition and have ridden K1600s so can say yes it is in between the two - much lighter than the 1600 but with most of the weather protection etc. Quite a lot of buffeting from the screen compared to the 1300S or any of the 1600s and as you'll know the 1600 engine is much lower revving, but I'd take the 1300GT over the 1600.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks like a nice bike. Being a 2009, you'd better check it's had all the recall work done (cam chain jump guard, hot start mod, etc).

My GT has been great. It had had all the recall work done but the cruise control stopped working so I got a left switch-block under the BMW insured warranty it came with and the kill switch stopped the engine working when in very strong direct sunlight (a known problem) and the right switch-block was replaced under warranty too. Apart from that its been faultless for 21k miles (36k showing now).

I have a 1300S Motorsport edition and have ridden K1600s so can say yes it is in between the two - much lighter than the 1600 but with most of the weather protection etc. Quite a lot of buffeting from the screen compared to the 1300S or any of the 1600s and as you'll know the 1600 engine is much lower revving, but I'd take the 1300GT over the 1600.
...And the quickshifter (shift-assist to you) was never an option on the GT. On the 1300S it works great (one of the best up-shifters around) and is great fun but they aren't good for gearboxes so I don't use it...but then have to be quick/smooth with the clutch/throttle to stop the shifter messing up the change. If I could disable it I would (might look into that).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
...And the quickshifter (shift-assist to you) was never an option on the GT. On the 1300S it works great (one of the best up-shifters around) and is great fun but they aren't good for gearboxes so I don't use it...but then have to be quick/smooth with the clutch/throttle to stop the shifter messing up the change. If I could disable it I would (might look into that).
Thanks Duncan I have four pages of service records about $3500 with recalls done as well but I’m not sure about that cam chain jumper I don’t know if there’s even one of those on my 1200 S. How much of the bike has to be tore apart to look for that and install one is it something I can do ? Pretty mechanically inclined for the most part
I have been removing all the fasteners on the bike everything that has to do with the brakes body fasteners, Tail light,Rack and windscreen I spin those in my drill on a piece of Scotch-Brite pad and then I spin them in a microfiber with mothers aluminum metal polish every fastener comes out like chrome I also painted the lower half of the windscreen black from the inside so you don’t see all the mechanism behind I have two wind screens both BMW one is taller that’s what’s on it now so maybe less buffeting with that. I might put a dark tint 7 Jurock windscreen with a lip on it but I want to try this one first
I have a 7 Jurock on my K1600 Grand American I like it very much.
I am going to make a passenger back rest to fit the bike and my wife We will not use this bike for over nighters together I use my 18 Harley Road Glide Special or my Grand American for that but I will do weekend rides and over nighters by myself on the K1300GT K1200S and My Tiger 1050 all have Panniers and I have a Givi Too Case that I put on my Tiger Occasionally and it would go on the GT as well

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have dynamic shift assist installed on my k 1300 GT. It's awesome and I get faster shifts than most of the other guys that are using some form of autoshift or shift kit.

I installed it in my right grip and left toe.

As you're hard on the gas accelerating through your gear apply a slight upward Force with your left toe. When you're ready to shift take your right wrist and quickly blip it away from you and then towards you again. The bike will shift gears during that momentary blip.

That's the adaptive shifting method.

There is an even faster accelerating method. While accelerating at wide open throttle keep a medium Force upwards with your left toe on the shift lever. The moment the rev limiter kicks in the gear will shift up and you are once again on full throttle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks Duncan I have four pages of service records about $3500 with recalls done as well but I’m not sure about that cam chain jumper I don’t know if there’s even one of those on my 1200 S. How much of the bike has to be tore apart to look for that and install one is it something I can do ? Pretty mechanically inclined for the most part
I have been removing all the fasteners on the bike everything that has to do with the brakes body fasteners, Tail light,Rack and windscreen I spin those in my drill on a piece of Scotch-Brite pad and then I spin them in a microfiber with mothers aluminum metal polish every fastener comes out like chrome I also painted the lower half of the windscreen black from the inside so you don’t see all the mechanism behind I have two wind screens both BMW one is taller that’s what’s on it now so maybe less buffeting with that. I might put a dark tint 7 Jurock windscreen with a lip on it but I want to try this one first
I have a 7 Jurock on my K1600 Grand American I like it very much.
I am going to make a passenger back rest to fit the bike and my wife We will not use this bike for over nighters together I use my 18 Harley Road Glide Special or my Grand American for that but I will do weekend rides and over nighters by myself on the K1300GT K1200S and My Tiger 1050 all have Panniers and I have a Givi Too Case that I put on my Tiger Occasionally and it would go on the GT as well
You can see the cam chain jump guard, if fitted, by removing the large round plug over the right hand end of the crankshaft. The jump guard is a black plastic thing, visible around the sprocket/chain.

I'd be a bit careful in polishing those fasteners as some are zinc plated and you could wear through that quite easily I think.

Standard windscreen on the GT creates a lot of buffeting (its too curved and the wind flips - resonates - from left to right as it comes off the top). Apparently the longer screen isn't much better. There's a lot online about which aftermarket screens are best so suggest you read around before buying one.

The Sargent World Sport seat for these can come with a passenger backrest. Pricey seat but available second hand (that how I got mine) and much more comfortable for rider and pillion.

Happy riding.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have dynamic shift assist installed on my k 1300 GT. It's awesome and I get faster shifts than most of the other guys that are using some form of autoshift or shift kit.

I installed it in my right grip and left toe.

As you're hard on the gas accelerating through your gear apply a slight upward Force with your left toe. When you're ready to shift take your right wrist and quickly blip it away from you and then towards you again. The bike will shift gears during that momentary blip.

That's the adaptive shifting method.

There is an even faster accelerating method. While accelerating at wide open throttle keep a medium Force upwards with your left toe on the shift lever. The moment the rev limiter kicks in the gear will shift up and you are once again on full throttle.
The one on the S Motorsport works best when hard on the gas and kicked up quickly; no need for any nuance with the lever/throttle, in fact that messes up the change.

I find I can do good, clean clutches up changes (and sometimes down ones) on my GT (or almost any bike) without the aid of a shifter. But its still not a good thing for the gearbox, with or without one - you may not feel any jolt but the dogs can still be getting damaged. I know of a lot of people with wrecked gearboxes due to quick-shifters that seemed to be working perfectly.

·
IBR# 366
3,215 Posts
I've put 200K miles on K12/13GTs, and 100K miles on K16s.

The K13 is lighter and narrower and fun to ride fast. The K16 is heavier but has so much smooth torque that you don't need to shift as much. A skilled rider can make dämn good time on either bike through even the tightest twisties.

Quite a lot of buffeting from the screen compared to the 1300S or any of the 1600s
I solved the buffeting issues on my K12/13GTs with an AeroFlow AeroScreen and AeroGards. Just a smooth, calm bubble for rider and passenger at any speed.

I also learned to "quick-shift" both bikes with precise throttle and shifter control, no fancy electronics necessary.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've put 200K miles on K12/13GTs, and 100K miles on K16s.

The K13 is lighter and narrower and fun to ride fast. The K16 is heavier but has so much smooth torque that you don't need to shift as much. A skilled rider can make dämn good time on either bike through even the tightest twisties.

I solved the buffeting issues on my K12/13GTs with an AeroFlow AeroScreen and AeroGards. Just a smooth, calm bubble for rider and passenger at any speed.

I also learned to "quick-shift" both bikes with precise throttle and shifter control, no fancy electronics necessary.
Impressive mileage. Yeah, I enjoy chucking the 13Gt around - people on smaller bikes are rather surprised at seeing such a big heavy bike cornering like they can.

Aeroflow!...that was the one I was trying to remember - its what my research led me to a couple of years ago, but not bought one yet and forgot the brand. Glad you find it really works. May still get one (right now I need a better screen for my 1300S Motorsport - that also directs the wind at your head).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the bike is at home having the seat custom upholstered built a passenger backrest which the mounting plate is off set from center so I can flip it over and it will be taller or shorter. put some 3/8s satin black stripes on it it was a little plain with all that red. Have some big GT decals coming to put on the side as well

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts