BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 k1300s with oem muffler. Want a bigge sound so thinking about a slip-on exhaust, Dominator HP1. The original mid-pipe between lamda/collector-manifold and muffler is 75mm/3in. The HP1 come with a 60mm/2,35in( muffler side) mid-pipe to 75mm (engine exhaust side) transition
question: with the restriction/reduction in pipe diameter 75-60mm cause issues in performance or engine problems?

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,333 Posts
Buy this, pay the postage and you will be very happy. On the dyno it increases the HP by 4 hp......no reduction like many. Fits perfectly. Not made any longer as this is an out of production bike. Take out the sound depression tip and save for testing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2011 k1300s with oem muffler. Want a bigge sound so thinking about a slip-on exhaust, Dominator HP1. The original mid-pipe between lamda/collector-manifold and muffler is 75mm/3in. The HP1 come with a 60mm/2,35in( muffler side) mid-pipe to 75mm (engine exhaust side) transition
question: with the restriction/reduction in pipe diameter 75-60mm cause issues in performance or engine problems?
I would not recommend reducing, if anything after market systems are there to increase flow. If all your looking to do is make a bit more sound, pick up a hp or 3, go get a Akropovic slip on. They sound great, fit perfectly without any restriction and can be tuned (remove sound attenuator). I had one on my last K, will be installing one on another K that I am picking up this week. Many rides I have been on where the inside of the slip on glows bright orange, there is alot of heat that builds up in these systems, not an area you want to skimp.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As per Beech's good suggestion, but buy in the UK & save the postage:

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,333 Posts
That is a superior slip on in my opinion. (both my K bikes have one. ) Save your old stock for your MOT inspection.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I install the Akropovic titanium systems on all my bikes including the last 2 K1300S's. Excellent fit and finish, allows the bike to breath a bit better and sound fantastic although at a premium price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just visited the Dominator site to look at the can the OP mentioned. It does indeed appear to use a small connector section that necks down in the middle then opens back up to meet the can itself. I'm not sure why they'd do this, but it would increase flow velocity in that region while also increasing heat. I'm fairly sure such an arrangement would change the tone of the exhaust note to something more distinctive than other manufacturers and that may have been their goal. But my cynical side suspects they may also be using that connector section to make their muffler's 60mm inlet diameter fit the 75mm diameter of the K1300 collector pipe so they can cover a bunch of different motorcycles with one can design. I would be concerned about the effect that extra heat might have on the carbon end cap, but that's just speculation on my part based on my understanding that carbon cans do fine on the road, but require dedicated cooling fans on the dyno or they'll melt their clearcoat and possibly even their impregnated resins.

·
Registered
106 Posts
OP,

Big sound huh? That's just what the world wants to hear! You coming home with a loud motorcycle and letting all your neighbors know when you leave and arrive!

I'm perplexed by the people that believe they're street bikes should sound as if they are at a track!

You have a 173 HP bike, and approximately 103 ft/lbs of Torque........ Do you think you're really going to notice 2 or 3 added HP? Probably not, but you are going to piss off other motorists, motorcyclists, pedestrians and home owners and renters.

Furthermore, What kind of damage do you think your going to do to the engine? These bikes are easy to break all by themselves.... you really want to help it break sooner?

Lastly, Municipalities all across the planet are just itching for guys (and gals) like you, to come into they're jurisdiction and fine you for going over the towns noise ordinance levels!

In some places, they will confiscate your bike and impound it until you cough up your OEM stock exhaust and have installed before they return the Key! Is it worth the aggravation?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2013 K1300R
34 Posts
I am running a Delkevic Titanium (Baffle left in). Build quality is very good. The muffler is shorter than others but very light. Stays very cool and sounds nice and deep (a few pops when revved). I put heat wrap around the exposed pipe just to make sure.

The BMW stock muffler is one of the best mufflers I have ever seen, as it is built like a tank (and as heavy) (definitely keeping it).
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
546 Posts
I took the baffle out of my Remus Hexacone but was concerned that the big open outlet would attract attention from the over zealous constabulary. I cut the pipe that extends into the muffler, off right behind the end piece and then placed the end piece back in. It looks like the baffle is in situation but…😁

·
Registered
287 Posts

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts