BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy with an older beemer assisted me in bleeding my brakes - I guess neither of us have bled ABS Servo equipped bikes, because we did a normal bleed, I got the failure light, and realized we needed to bleed the servo first. Is it ok to start over with the servo? How do I get to it (under the tank?) and what is the process for bleeding it. Thanks for any help here.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
587 Posts
I'm a little confused. Servo bmw brakes stopped at 2006. K13 bikes started in 2008. You know the ABS failure light only goes out after riding a few feet. The bleed process is reasonably complicated if you do it by the book. The nasty part is the bleed nipple is on top of the inlet pipe. So if not thorough you bypass the caliper piston area. You need to incorporate holding the pads back for the first flush. This minimises the volumn in the caliper. The upper right of the title bar has three dots, click and do an advanced search on how to bleed a K13.
Here is an hour or so reading:

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this morning the light is out, but haven't tested actual ABS braking to see if all normal. This was my first bleeding of an ABS equipped bike (or car). So when I saw the light on for the 30 min ride home, I thought maybe there was another step or 2 to do - other than opening the 3 nipples, lever/pedal in/down, tighten, lever/pedal out/up until fluid is all clear. Being a 2011 K1300S, I couldn't find anything on this forum or Google that was specific to this version.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
587 Posts
You can also get the ABS failure light if the battery is low when you start the bike, the voltage drop below acceptable levels trips the ABS failure alarm.

·
Registered
2013 K1300S Anniversary Edition
6 Posts
To bleed the ABS on the K1300 you'll need either the GS-911 computer program or the MotoScan app for an Android device. That plus the tether to connect it to the OBD2 port. The funnel shown and process listed in the pdf above doesn't apply to our bikes. I've just done a flush on my brakes but didn't purge the ABS. I'm going to go back and do that this weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda gathered the GS-911 computer requirement from something I saw online, but not a step-by-step bleeding process for the front brakes using it. For $300 is it worth getting the last couple drops out of the ABS? Won't it mix and dilute after awhile anyway?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Motoscan is a lot less expensive if you have an android phone or tablet. App and connection would be about $100. I don't think any fluid moves through the ABS unless it is activated by hard stop or a scan tool. Normally the valves in it stay closed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts