BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - new owner of a 2016 K1300s.

Love the bike, but the helmet noise is driving me crazy. I have an Arai Regent helmet and with the stock screen, the wind hits me right at the base of the helmet, creating a ton of noise. (I'm about 5'9").

Are there any screens that are LOWER than the stocker, hopefully putting the wind into my chest vs. the helmet? I'm concerned that I might create some buffeting with a taller screen.

Thanks for any insight.
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Fuel tank

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,417 Posts
Your concern for a taller wind screen is well taken. The bike can go fast and if you engage in that activity, stock is safer. Only buy wind screen accessories that are German TUV approved and you will be safe. If you want to experiment buy a cheap (scratched probably) stock unit on EBay and cut it down. Consider your choice of helmets also. One with a snug neck roll helps.
Welcome to the site and you have a great bike. Be sure to look to UK and Europe for parts. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm suspicious that the helmet is contributing to the issue, but it's only a month old, so replacing it is a last resort.

Any feedback on the windjammer collars that you can add to the helmet?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I'm suspicious that the helmet is contributing to the issue, but it's only a month old, so replacing it is a last resort.

windjammer do work ok but they wear/stretch out over time and leave a nasty glue residue around your helmet once taken off.
Also you need to consider that they obstruct your helmet lip, so it is a little tricky for camera and com mounds.

First thing I advise is to check the helmet it self, there are noisy once out there and even tough you have an ARAI which are on the quieter side but might need liner and pad adjustments.

Ride, stretch yourself above the screen and listen to what happens. If it’s much quieter… your helmet is fine and the windscreen deflects the air into the wrong spot.
You can get a windscreen lip/extender/spoiler thing on amazon, cheap, universal and gives you opportunities to deflect air differently before pulling out the hacksaw

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had the same deal with mine I was getting hit with the bike air of the screen right in the helmet I cut it down twice to achieve the right height now the wind of the windscreen hits me in the upper chest
While riding stand up and see how the helmet does in its own air only. You will see it get much quieter

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct, I've done the "stand" test and everything quiets down substantially. Would you have a pic of the modified screen from the front so I can get a sense of the final height?

Appreciate the input!

I had the same deal with mine I was getting hit with the bike air of the screen right in the helmet I cut it down twice to achieve the right height now the wind of the windscreen hits me in the upper chest
While riding stand up and see how the helmet does in its own air only. You will see it get much quieter

·
Registered
338 Posts

have been using windjammers on my helmet since 2011 with great results. From my shoei all the way to my built and it reduces the wind noise greatly. I actually keep an extra one on hand.

Also good luck with your new to you Motorsport. I picked up my 2015 last Saturday and love
it. Now I have to thin out the herd by selling one of my K1200S's

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
36 Posts
Noise is a matter of perceptions and expectations.
Is this fatiguing to you? Is it accompanied by turbulent air wresting your helmet?

I'm 6' on a stock 2009 k1300. My Shoei rf100 is steady even at 200plus.
A lazy way to check how any mod will act would be first to remove the par brise and see what results.

I'm old and deaf so maybe I just can't hear the noise.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Correct, I've done the "stand" test and everything quiets down substantially. Would you have a pic of the modified screen from the front so I can get a sense of the final height?

Appreciate the input!
This is what I have in my phone let me know if it’s enough for you

Attachments

Reactions: skopiec

·
Registered
70 Posts
What type of ear plugs are you using? I moved from the 3M “EARs” to some Earpeace brand attenuating disk insert thingys, to now some foamy Mack’s branded and they are the bomb. Much harder to get in, but easily worth it for longer rides. Hard to talk to anyone at a stop though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm currently using Mack slim fit (purple). Point taken, I should probably experiment with others...

What type of ear plugs are you using? I moved from the 3M “EARs” to some Earpeace brand attenuating disk insert thingys, to now some foamy Mack’s branded and they are the bomb. Much harder to get in, but easily worth it for longer rides. Hard to talk to anyone at a stop though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I can’t stand the feeling of earplugs so what I do on some of my helmets not all of them is I have a piece of memory foam cut into the ear pocket of the helmet I smash those in and then slip the helmet on then they open back up and go against my ears of course when I put my helmet on I have to do a little tucking Around that area with my hand to make sure everything fits nice but then it works pretty well and it’s comfortable

·
Registered
784 Posts
y'all are old school. You don't listen to music or anything like that?

I have these that are legendarily good but for some reason the ding dongs at klipsch decided to discontinue them. They're great for listening to music while still acting like earplugs.

The problem is, even with these in, once I've crossed into the realm of triple digit territory, the bike launches a hurricane katrina right into the helmet and unbearable becomes an understatement. Without these I'd need an ear transplant.

The other issue is that after about 2 hours of riding, the pain starts and doesn't go away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
y'all are old school. You don't listen to music or anything like that?

I have these that are legendarily good but for some reason the ding dongs at klipsch decided to discontinue them. They're great for listening to music while still acting like earplugs.

The problem is, even with these in, once I've crossed into the realm of triple digit territory, the bike launches a hurricane katrina right into the helmet and unbearable becomes an understatement. Without these I'd need an ear transplant.

The other issue is that after about 2 hours of riding, the pain starts and doesn't go away.
Keep listening to music sufficiently loud to eclipse ambient noise and the only sound you'll worry about is ringing.

OP on long trips, ear plugs, though often a pain to wear, massively reduce fatigue.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Keep listening to music sufficiently loud to eclipse ambient noise and the only sound you'll worry about is ringing.

OP on long trips, ear plugs, though often a pain to wear, massively reduce fatigue.
The foam thingies act as earplugs. My listening volume is just at the cusp of unreasonable, but reasonable. Quieter than no earplugs at all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a long torso and a 2014 K1300s MS. I know exactly what you mean about the buffeting and the desire to get your head up into clean air. I can offer a few minor suggestions.

1. Different helmets can be a lot louder or quieter. One thing helping a lot to make any of them quieter is a snug-fitting foam piece directly against the ear.
2. A taller seat?
3. Earplugs. Really, the best solution, except we tend to not want to bother putting them in.
4. Possible alterations to the airflow from unexpected things, like different handlebars or different seat. Sitting back a bit might make things worse, or better.

Ultimately I think you're on the only correct path - shorter windscreen.

A side note. I ride with a tank bag 100% of the time and have for decades. Even more so on the K1300s since there is zero storage space the bike for even a tire patch kit. Normally a tank bag causes me no issues. But on this bike it led to a serious wind issue on the front of my jacket. I was getting periodic turbulence all up my front causing massive ripples going up my chest. Particularly with thinner jackets. I noticed that if I placed my hand in the gap between my stomach and the tank bag that the turbulence completely halted. So I got a small waist bag, put something soft into it to fill it out (first aid kit), and then I hung it around my tank bag so that the waist bag filled the gap between me and the tank bag. Wind issue solved. And if I want a bit of wind there I just slide the waist bag around to the front of the tank bag. Little changes can make a lot of difference when it comes to wind.

I used to have a pair of 1985 K100rs, and they had a special little adjustable lip on the top of the windscreen to help tame and direct the turbulence. Something like that might be available (or should be) for the K.

·
Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
154 Posts
Hi all - new owner of a 2016 K1300s.

Love the bike, but the helmet noise is driving me crazy. I have an Arai Regent helmet and with the stock screen, the wind hits me right at the base of the helmet, creating a ton of noise. (I'm about 5'9").

Are there any screens that are LOWER than the stocker, hopefully putting the wind into my chest vs. the helmet? I'm concerned that I might create some buffeting with a taller screen.
[QUOTE Are there any screens that are LOWER than the stocker, hopefully putting the wind into my chest vs. the helmet? [/QUOTE]

There is a Puig windshield listed in the classified section. Reasonably priced.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a long torso and a 2014 K1300s MS. I know exactly what you mean about the buffeting and the desire to get your head up into clean air. I can offer a few minor suggestions.

1. Different helmets can be a lot louder or quieter. One thing helping a lot to make any of them quieter is a snug-fitting foam piece directly against the ear.
2. A taller seat?
3. Earplugs. Really, the best solution, except we tend to not want to bother putting them in.
4. Possible alterations to the airflow from unexpected things, like different handlebars or different seat. Sitting back a bit might make things worse, or better.

Ultimately I think you're on the only correct path - shorter windscreen.

A side note. I ride with a tank bag 100% of the time and have for decades. Even more so on the K1300s since there is zero storage space the bike for even a tire patch kit. Normally a tank bag causes me no issues. But on this bike it led to a serious wind issue on the front of my jacket. I was getting periodic turbulence all up my front causing massive ripples going up my chest. Particularly with thinner jackets. I noticed that if I placed my hand in the gap between my stomach and the tank bag that the turbulence completely halted. So I got a small waist bag, put something soft into it to fill it out (first aid kit), and then I hung it around my tank bag so that the waist bag filled the gap between me and the tank bag. Wind issue solved. And if I want a bit of wind there I just slide the waist bag around to the front of the tank bag. Little changes can make a lot of difference when it comes to wind.

I used to have a pair of 1985 K100rs, and they had a special little adjustable lip on the top of the windscreen to help tame and direct the turbulence. Something like that might be available (or should be) for the K.
tire patch kit goes under the left body panel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts