BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
[QUOTE Are there any screens that are LOWER than the stocker, hopefully putting the wind into my chest vs. the helmet?
There is a Puig windshield listed in the classified section. Reasonably priced.
[/QUOTE]
I have fixed that dilemma by making my K 1200 S basically the same as a naked bike I cut the screen down so the wind hits me in the chest I no longer am taking on the bike air. Getting ready to go on a long ride with it a little concerned because I have touring bikes for long highway riding it’s about 200 miles one way before I hit any canyons then there’s lots of back roads I can take but I’ve been wanting to do it since I put the luggage on

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Skopiec,

Yes, The true Conundrum of every Motorcycle enthusiast around the entire planet: Helmet Buffeting!

Oddly enough, this bike "Fits" tall guys with Short legs and long Torso's. I'm one of them at 6-1 and a 32" inseam..... needless to regurgitate all the aforementioned suggestions on testing this and replacing that......... MRA Screens seem to Fit perfectly on every RT, GT and yes, our K12/13 S bikes with ZERO head buffeting.

But, and it's a big "BUT" the screen needs to have the little spoiler or the curved Lip at the end. I have never been to the Wind Tunnel BMW uses to test the Airflow or Aerodynamics of many of its bikes.
I do remember at the Munich Factory as well as the 1000RR rep saying: its typically quite expensive.

The MRA Shield is also expensive but I believe the collaboration between MRA and BMW (as well as the Fit and Fair) have alleviated every buffeting problem I've ever had. But they come pretty damn close.

But, one must choose wisely........There is The Spoiler and a Tourer..... The Spoiler or the Screen with an attached pivoting screen actually make the Buffeting worse for me.

The Touring Model has always kept a comfortable and manageable flow on my upper Torso, well below my chin. I ride Modular BMW or Shuberth Helmets on BMW's

Light Product Font Screenshot Software

Needless to say, a Baklava or a collared Jacket is now mandatory to ride.

See Attached Pic Below. Happy Hunting.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Puig New Generation on my K1200R. It seems to work up to 130 mph, but don't ask me how I know. There is going to be some buffeting, but no unusual noises. "Smoke" works very well with the grey/silver K1200R.

To find this in their catalogs, look under the K1300R. It fits the K1200R just the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried three different aftermarket screens, and found the only way to stop a constant drumming of turbulent air into the front and bottom of my helmet was to go with a fairly tall Madstad screen. Shorter (and riding with no screen) didn’t help, and a different quiet helmet didn’t help; I just had to get laminar airflow several inches higher. I can now ride with my visor open without it slamming down above 40mph, and the noise isn’t exactly RT quiet, but I don’t need to wrap my left arm around my neck to block the noise on long rides!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I tried three different aftermarket screens, and found the only way to stop a constant drumming of turbulent air into the front and bottom of my helmet was to go with a fairly tall Madstad screen. Shorter (and riding with no screen) didn’t help, and a different quiet helmet didn’t help; I just had to get laminar airflow several inches higher. I can now ride with my visor open without it slamming down above 40mph, and the noise isn’t exactly RT quiet, but I don’t need to wrap my left arm around my neck to block the noise on long rides!
I have a Couple Shoei helmets but I cut my screen down so the wind hits me in the chest I can ride with my lid up but after 70 + mph it gets noise but it doesn’t shut the lid down

21 - 26 of 26 Posts