BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new set of Michelin Road 5's mounted last week and in the short ride home, noticed a rub mark on the rear tire that was caused by the Ilmberger hugger. A K13 owner on Facebook said he had the same problem and removed it. It appears the front left side (mount side) is where it's rubbing.

I like the hugger and would like to keep it if I can----has anyone come across this? Like to think I might file it down in the area that's rubbing. Curious if anyone else has had this issue and if you tried to trim the hugger. If not, I'll just remove it and move on....

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
312 Posts
Any way to adjust the mount holes. I have heard carbon fiber is a little dangerous so respirator and some clear sealant might be a good thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the same hugger on my K1200S and have not had the problem. If it started after new tires, could it be tire size slightly different? I have the Dunlop Road Smart tires mounted.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
312 Posts
K12 uses a slightly different tire than a K13

·
Registered
71 Posts
K12 uses a slightly different tire than a K13
Yep, K12S uses a 190/50-17 and the K13S uses a 190/55-17 which makes the tire just that much taller. Depending on the brand of tire, a slight difference in profile geometry can put the tire into the hugger. I was talking with an old school BMW mechanic about maybe getting this hugger (it looks great) and he warned me of this possibility. He believed that the hugger was a hold over from the K12S and just re-purposed on the K13. It worked with the K13S using the stock Metzler M3s but will not clear every tire as you've discovered.

It does appear to just barely rub the new Michelin. It might be worth looking at where it's rubbing to see if you can trim that part down a bit as Beech suggests.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought maybe it was tire size related. I would look at where the tire is rubbing. I would then look and taking a file or tool and changing the mounting holes to gain the clearance. If I remember correctly my huggar had an aluminum bracket on the end were it mounted to the final drive. Seems you could woller out the holes a little bit that would move the huggar in the needed direction.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had the same problem on my k1200r. I run 190 55 pirellis in stead of the standard 50 profile tyre so I ordered the k1300 ilmberger hugger. While it doesn’t rub all of the time it will start ‘bouncing’ on certain rough roads so I have to pull over to stop it and the continue on. It seems to be the outer edges of the tyre that make contact.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had that problem when a higher profile tyre was fitted.
If the tyre gets hot enough then the hugger will grab it when you stop at the lights and you can't start until you start really hard.
Noisy and surprising.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on this. The issue was my going to the Michelin Road 5 GT's with a little taller profile than the Metzler Sportec's that were on the K13 when I bought it (hugger was also on it when purchased). Interesting, the 3 holes in the mount aren't slotted or adjustable so they'd have to be modified somewhat to make it work. After talking with a couple of people on it----they said it probably would never cause a problem with the tire----but I chose to remove the hugger. I'll work on modifying the holes (and bending the metal bracket that's part of the mounting points) and see how it fits when I reinstall at my next tire change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts