BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. Im here for the first time and I m really happy that I have found this great forum. Sorry for my english if something going wrong with my grammar ..

I have two Kbikes 1. K1200S and second K1300s.

That K1300 I have bought recently after small accident where is damaged the display (tachometer).
My question is... is possible to change odometer reading? Why? dont judge me, I dont want to sell that bike. In my country is strictly forbidden to manipulate odometer reading and I need to change my crashed display.. I found another one (used) but of course with different reading. So I need to change it. Next month I need to do an technical inspection and there should be OK.

Any suggestion? I heard that BMW is not so easy do that job.

Many thanks for any suggestion. Martin

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can definitely replace the gauge cluster.

However, I don't know if it is a plug and play procedure or if you have to take it to a dealer and have them sync it to the bike.

I believe you do though.

Good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Contact BMW. I think they can change odometer reading through the computer. Years ago a friend had his done on a K1200S.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Contact BMW. I think they can change odometer reading through the computer. Years ago a friend had his done on a K1200S.
Really? That's surprising.

I figured a dealer wouldn't due it due to liability issues.

Tampering with odometer readings is a big no no.

Even if it is with the best intentions and not meant to deceive.

Curious to see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Really? That's surprising.

I figured a dealer wouldn't due it due to liability issues.

Tampering with odometer readings is a big no no.

Even if it is with the best intentions and not meant to deceive.

Curious to see what the outcome is.
I should have been more detailed in my post. He rear ended a flat bed at low speed so the only damage was the fairing, headlight, windshield and gauges so they replaced the damaged parts and set his mileage on the new gauge assembly.

Your probably right, if he does his own repair they may consider it a liability issue if they recalibrate the mileage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The mileage can be corrected by the dealer, or by someone who knows the "Tool32" software. Buying a second hand odometer is not a problem, as long as the "new unit" has a lower mileage. The odometer can only be corrected upwards, not downwards.
A problem with a used odometer is that the VIN and chassy build configuration is stored in it too (like in the BMSK and ZFE). If you only correct the odometer mileage without changing the VIN etc. the dealer will have a problem connecting it to the computer, as his computer will compare all three datasets with the BMW Mothership. An error will come up, saying that this bike cant be found.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts