BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried the new version of the Pirelli Angel GT? Time to order another set of tires. My last four sets have been Angel GT version 1.

Also interested in the latest Metzeler. If anyone here has experience would love to hear about them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The Pirelli Angel GT version 1 & 2 are great tires, I've had 4 sets of 1 on my Kawasaki and 1 on my BMK K1200S

I was not a fan of the Metzelers I had on the Kawasaki. The center wares down faster than expected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just put Dunlop Roadsmart II's on the back.

They seem ok. Bike more willingly leans now, but I think that would happen w/any new tire

·
Registered
16 Posts
They're as good as the originals, Craig, i.e. they track nicely on corners, no nasty surprises, and work well in the wet too. They also seem to lasting well so far, on UK tarmac, as did the originals (7K miles per set).

I've also tried Dunlop, Metzeler, and Michelin across 40k miles on a K, and the Pirellis are still the best overall, with Michelin being a very close second.
My II's aren't yet worn down far enough to know if they 'whiteline', which was my only negative against Mich PR4.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tires

I agree with Fried Chicken.
I had the Dunlops installed at the Lebanon Tenn. rally last summer and I am very pleased with them. I have always run Michelin on all my bikes and cars.
At the rally they didn't have the Michelins in my size and I needed tires. The Dunlop guys said the Road Smart II were specifically design to compete with the Michelin Pilot roads in grip, tread wear, and wet capabilities. They have that tread type that the openings get bigger the more they wear so as to increase the wet grip. They are a multi-compound tire, harder in the middle, softer on the sides.
They're price point is cheaper than the Michelins but are designed to be like them, and they are USA company now.
I am satisfied with them and will buy them again.
du907

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I fitted a set a couple of months ago just prior to lockdown, so have only done one ride since, but the grip feels slightly better (it was always superb before anyway). Looking forward to more kms in the spring, so will report more at that time.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Reading this thread with interest, I bought my 2015 K1300S just last January with 2200 miles with the original Metzeler Sportec tires. I’ve put 1000 miles on the bike and am adding a set of new tires. I’m planning on going with Michelin Road 5 GT’s but considering Pirelli’s and Dunlop’s.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was thinking of trying those as well.

The Michelin Pilot Power dual compound tires I have now have worn kinda funny. Almost as if the harder center compound is too hard; there is a very noticeable ridge where the two compounds meet.

Barely 3000 km and running at 38 psi front with 42 psi in the rear. Cooler weather, average outside temp up here in Alberta as a rule for reference.

I think I'm done with dual compound rubber.......

·
Registered
'94 K75, '03 K1200RS
3 Posts
I recently fitted a set of Pirelli Angel GT "A" Spec's to my '03 K1200RS and being a bit dissatisfied with the wear on my last set of Michelin 5's and after about 2.5K I'm very pleased.... probably even like them a bit more than the Michelins. Use your own judgement here, but I recommend using the "A" Spec version of the Angel GT which is rated for slightly heavier bikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently fitted a set of Pirelli Angel GT "A" Spec's to my '03 K1200RS and being a bit dissatisfied with the wear on my last set of Michelin 5's and after about 2.5K I'm very pleased.... probably even like them a bit more than the Michelins. Use your own judgement here, but I recommend using the "A" Spec version of the Angel GT which is rated for slightly heavier bikes.
Ditto. 03 GT. Had Dunlop roadsmarts before, they had a slightly better road feel but wore faster, especially the front on the heavy bike and my somewhat aggressive style. As the k13s is 100-120 lbs lighter, it might not be that crucial to stick with the heavier spec tires.

·
Registered
'94 K75, '03 K1200RS
3 Posts
Ditto. 03 GT. Had Dunlop roadsmarts before, they had a slightly better road feel but wore faster, especially the front on the heavy bike and my somewhat aggressive style. As the k13s is 100-120 lbs lighter, it might not be that crucial to stick with the heavier spec tires.

a bit more.... when I fitted the Pirelli Angel GT "A" Specs I had been planning to go with a set of Michelin 5's but was told that I should wait for the Pilot 5 GT as that was recommended for "heavier bikes". I don't consider the K1200RS a "heavier" bike as I would a K1200LT or GT. "K" bikes in general are a bit hard on tires (especially fronts) and it's hard to ride a "K" in a sedate manner (at least it is for me), so I tried to get in touch with Michelin in order to find out what they considered to be the weight break-point between running standard 5's or GT 5's. No one at Michelin could/would answer my question as to the weight break-point but they did all tell me that seeing as how the Pilot 5 GT's weren't available yet I should just go ahead with the 5's. That tipped the scales in favor of the Pirellis which had been highly recommended by a member of my local BMM club.

During my days of Brit bike riding (Matchless/AJS/Norton/Triumph/BSA) in the mid '60's/early '70's it was Pirelli or nothing (except Dunlop K70's on dirt trackers) but I went with Metzler and then Continental when I started riding BMW's in '76. Can't say as I'll never run Michelins again as they are good tires, and worth the price, but I believe I'm back in the Pirelli fold for the long haul now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts