BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a k1300s it will not idle u can getting it running and hold throttle at 2000 rev it sit ok let throttle go it just dies anyone got any ideas what could cause this

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,417 Posts
This is huge. Have you a current service with new plugs (bmw spec plugs or equal) and valve check? Are all cylinders firing, (each header hot). Current software? Good fuel. Fuel pump sock filter clean? Good fuel, only premium and no water. Runs well above idle?
Run some injector cleaner through it and see if that helps. Something strong, don't know the brands in the UK but I'm sure there is something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bike 10 years old but only got 1700 miles on it from new has had new plugs it does kind of sound like that when I taped the throttle open at 2000 revs and left it running it would fluctuat from 1000 to 2000 had a fuel cleaner in the fuel to try help clean the system but will not run unless u give it a little throttle
Is it acting like:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Photo above had been running for bit at 3000 rpm then started to get the flame no other problems with the bike its in mint condition the bikes been off the road for 3 years

·
Premium Member
2015 K1300S Motosport Edition
154 Posts
The muffler is hotter than the Cat. I believe I see soot on the end of the mffler. To an old-timer like me, it is running way too rich (so rich it won't run below throttles open to make 3000 RPM), or you have an after burner. I would not be surprised if your O2 sensor is now toast, but not necessarily the root problem. Look to see if one exhaust pipe is hotter than the other three to see if this is a single cylinder or an all cylinder problem.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The bike has been off the road for 3 years?!

You have fresh gas right? Like beech said, run some fuel injector shit through it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bikes totally stock when I first got bike going it was like it was ruining rich that y put cleaner in the fuel and left it running try clean the system I think it needs a good run but has no M o t and can't M o t it cause it not idle have disconnected battery today to try reset the throttle body
Yes had fresh petrol

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is huge. Have you a current service with new plugs (bmw spec plugs or equal) and valve check? Are all cylinders firing, (each header hot). Current software? Good fuel. Fuel pump sock filter clean? Good fuel, only premium and no water. Runs well above idle?
Run some injector cleaner through it and see if that helps. Something strong, don't know the brands in the UK but I'm sure there is something.
Yes drain the tank and use a cleaner. follow the instructions don't overdose its a waste of chemistry.
The bike being stored for a longish time? check the intakes for a critters nest.
OP can you beg or borrow a gs911 or equivalent to run a diagnostic?

Could the misfire be dumping enough fuel to have overwhelmed the cat? Easy to pull muffler and check.
Bike looks like a diesel in DPF cleaning mode. Is the thing running hot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is my first bmw motorcycle but when I had it running 3 to 4 bars on the temp gauge u could here fan kick in ok just borrowed a gs911 so going to get that loaded to computer today and check tom

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,417 Posts
Serious over fuel going on, stuck injector? Wow. Cat converter probably toast now along with the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Turn the ignition on then after the computer go through it start up phase, do not start the bike but with the ignition still on roll the throttle from idle to full throttle hold it for three seconds at full throttle, roll it back slowly to normal then do it again with the same directions two more times. Remember do it slowly then turn the ignition off then turn it back on let it cycle through again and then hit the start button. This will reindex your idle circuit. Sometimes computers even get brain farts it's not just humans.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like the phone app. Not the PC.
I have the older yellow unit and for it the PC app let's you see and do more.

I'm going to run my bike up to temp. Scare and raise some church going folks to full indugation mode and post what my bike reads.

Be back soon

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok yeah my tps is 0 at idle and only changes when I open the throttle.
Engine load 19%at idle.
If I could id post a pic but no matter your sensors are telking you in precise increments what you
already know.

Thats is shocking to see a bike with such low mileage act like this or in any way bad.

Did the previous owner say it ran fine when parked?
If so the rules for addressing a variably clogged and gummed up fuel system apply as they do to a normally aspirated engine without a computer and sensors.

the world will awake soon and more folks can chime in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Previous owner had same problem diesal got put in the tank and started working on it then lost intrest and sat for 3 years I bought it put it back together got it ruining hoping that the system just need cleaned i think it just needs a good run but need it to tickover for m o t the more i run it the better it gets but neighbours are cracking up when I checked previous mot it only done a max 200 miles a year 1 year 50 miles

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow diesel could have been worse. Could have been gas in a diesel.
I assume your fuel supply side is partly gummed up including the fuel filter.
Also from the cool flame thrower that your exhaust has residue of unburnt diesel.
And your poor cat got sooty and saturated.

If it seems to be clearing my best farmboy red neck thing to do would be to drop a litre of lacquer thinner into a full tank of fresh gas and drive repeatedly running up and down through the gears.

mind you any enleanment that may be arising would risk catastrophic damage to the engine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts