BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when I bought the bike off an individual I talked to his dealer who said that he could fix my 100 mph speed limit but it would be 5 hundred dollars. So I figured I would have it done here in Oklahoma but my dealer won’t touch it. So my question is what do I have to do to get rid of it. I’m thinking a new computer maybe one for the 1600gt
any help would be appreciated
thanks again
Cody

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
477 Posts
Do some on line looking around, there are numerous tuners with chips for your bike. Of course some are smoke and others the real deal.

Reactions: cihm

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are they locked to 100mph, why?
It’s insane to have such a bike and be limited to 100mph but the dealer here in Tulsa says it’s do to stability issues do to the trunk. I personally cannot say it has a stability problem because I can’t get it above 105 on the OD it really suck.
I found a site they want a grand for a tuner and adapter
I’ll pay someone a couple hundred bucks to borrow there setup and get it back to you as soon as I can go 120+

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes with the top case and lowered rear The K 1600 B and grand America get kind of funny at speed. The GT does not have a top case from the factory all of the bikes have a speed limiter on them some more than others I have a Bren Tune on mine that removed the limiter and gave it more bottom end off the light. The K 1600 forum that I belong to as well talks about this stuff numerous times. I have seen 136 MPH with my Grand American/ B That’s not something I do regularly. If riding solo I usually remove the top case and go to small soft bag. I think my tune was about $600 a bunch of us went in together from the K 1600 forum and got them together and got a discount. It was a lot of work to make my top case removable if you’re starting out with a K1600B And you want to add a top case there are several options for that. Another thing I did was install the B seat and passenger grab rails,The B seat is longer than the Grand American seat by about 2” it looks nicer and gives more room for the wife and I although the pillion area is a little narrower. The wife likes the B seat much better than the Grand American seat she does not like the hump in the Grand American seat. I made a plate to go over the H frame when the top case is off. With this plate I can put anything I want on top of that. All in all I like the GA/B much better than the GT or GTL. Lower center of gravity and I like the floorboards it’s a comfortable bike definitely a great Touring bike. When the top case is removed from the grand American the message center will tell you there’s a light out so with the top plate that I made I put a third brake light in that plugs into the harness so I don’t get that code light out on the message center.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
This cant be done by yourself? K13 series has revlimiter that can be set by using motoscan or bmw software. Never looked for a speedlimiter, but it might be there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok when I bought the bike off an individual I talked to his dealer who said that he could fix my 100 mph speed limit but it would be 5 hundred dollars. So I figured I would have it done here in Oklahoma but my dealer won’t touch it. So my question is what do I have to do to get rid of it. I’m thinking a new computer maybe one for the 1600gt
any help would be appreciated
thanks again
Cody

·
Registered
12 Posts
@cihm:
I hope you find lots of roads where you can enjoy your K1600B at speeds under 100 mph. Sure, there may be examples where the BMW engineers err on the conservative side, but they don’t establish the limit for nothing. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I contacted Bren tuner and talked to the guy who does the tuning and he said 675 he can fix my speed limit problem on my 2018 1600B grand America so if anyone would like to split the cost and I would have it done to my bike and send it on. If anyone is interested contact me here

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m not sure if you’re thinking about splitting the cost so you could use that tune on two bikes but you can’t just so you know. If you get a bunch of people that want the tune he will discount them for each of you but not that drastically.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
477 Posts
These companies are a great help, cheating them that plenty of work was put into is not such a good thing. I'm glad it can not be shared in any way. It is intellectual property and has value.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts