BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - just found this on the web - did a search on here and nothing came back so can only assume there's no mention of it on this board as yet. Reading the associated posts it looks like an October release date (or maybe I got all this wrong and someone else knows better).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Not believing that first pic as it looks like a brick engine and I am sure by everything I have read that it will be a transverse design.
I am sort of interested in it, but will have to see it and drive it. Not if it's like that first picture though, man the top case is hideous!

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
so BMW decided to test it on KGT - not to risk a reputation of new KLT immediately. Looks wise.
Will they start sales in Europe first or in the States?

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Here is a direct link to the full BMW Motorrad Six-Cylinder Technology Day press release in .pdf format. :bmw:

The Daidalgas pic is a photoshop mockup from last year, and always was pure speculation.

The pic by the gas pumps is supposedly BMW's K1600 test mule. So it would be accurate in terms of underlying technology, but most likely disguised cosmetically.

What we do know for certain is that BMW will release a Slant/6 K1600GT with a more sporty seating position, and a K1600GTL with a more touring seating position and other amenities like a built-in radio and full trunk.

New features include an adaptive headlight that not only tilts to match bike loading, but also swivels into corners based on lean angle and speed. And a 5.7" full color instrument display with Multi-Controller which controls everything from suspension settings, to heated grips/seat, to factory GPS, to built-in radio including iPod, MP3, USB, Bluetooth and satellite radio connections.

Other familiar features on both models include the usual array of traction control, tire pressure monitoring, partial-Integral ABS, etc., coupled with ESA II and the DuoLever and ParaLever suspension as on the current K-bikes. Plus the ability to switch between "Rain", "Road", and "Dynamic" driving modes.

This one's gonna be killer, guys.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
easyman05 said:
so BMW decided to test it on KGT - not to risk a reputation of new KLT immediately.
No, I think the GTL model is the new LT. It's basically the same as the new GT model, just better accessorized for long-distance comfort and two-up travel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
fugly

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
CGHEMWICK said:
Based on what, exactly? Concept sketches only? A single blurry, disguised spy photo?

We haven't even seen the thing yet.

Remember, the GT was originally derided for being slab-sided, but has now grown on an awful lot of folks.

And the original RS/GT/LT design was derided for being bulbous, but is now considered a classic.

So I'm afraid I have to disagree with your one-word dismissal, at least until we get to see one in the flesh . . .

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Meese said:
....This one's gonna be killer, guys.
Yeah....especially for the poor saps that get to be the first (....or second...or third..... ) year guinea pigs! :yeow: :rotf: :hysterica

Seriously though. Could be cool if they got the bugs worked out of everything. I just don't have high hopes in that dept. If the quality holds up for a while I would be all over it. (Damn....as much as I hate this company did I just say that? .....they're like heroin.) ;)

So any idea on price yet? And how about weight of the bike. Specs of the engine look sweet. About the same HP as the 13 now but the torque is bumped up now with w six cylinders to roughly 128 foot pounds.....or roughly 30 more than now. Should make for a fairly ballsy ride unless this thing comes in at Goldwing weights. Only 225 lbs for the engine though. Maybe 750 lbs total? Less would be better. However if this thing is going to be LT size or bigger, and they're canceling the 13 then it definitely leaves a huge gap for those of us that we're looking for a 1 up sport tourer.

OK....lets start a pool on guessing price. I'm going with $27.5k base.

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
Robert_W said:
OK....lets start a pool on guessing price. I'm going with $27.5k base.
I'll bite.

GT base ~ $20k without ESA, adaptive headlight, ASC, etc

GTL base ~ $26k including ESA, ASC, cruise, heated seats and grips. Adaptive headlight ($1k) and nav optional.

I think you will see the K1300GT in a 2011 model in 1 flavor - loaded. It will probably sell for the same as a base K1600GT. They have to clear out that inventory.

With the euro as weak as it is we could even be pleasantly surprised, though they will try to catch up with the beating they have taken for the last few years.

·
Registered
896 Posts
A lot of folks where surprised at the S1000RR pricing. I think BMW will try to keep this K1600 pricing sane, maybe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
K1600gt

I doubt they will drop the K1300GT straight away,the K1300GT is a smaller bike lighter and really a different market (in my view).Anyhow what the heck am looking forward to a test ride !
cheers Andrew ex K1300GT and now R1200GS (don't ask)

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Meese said:
No, I think the GTL model is the new LT. It's basically the same as the new GT model, just better accessorized for long-distance comfort and two-up travel.
if it is able to compete with Gold Wing - then it is, I agree.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I think the top case on the GTL is fugly, but the pics I have been able to see (on one of the first links) of the GT look fine. Youtube vid on the headlight make the front look pretty cool. I';m interested in one definitely, especially if they make a Dark Graphite one, but hell that 6 cylinder would probably be able to even push a RED one along pretty well with all that torque.
Gilly

·
Registered
67 Posts
I really appreciate how BMW tries to advance bike safety, features, performance and comfort. I know it comes with a few hickups but I am glad they do what they do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't understand how one can say it's ugly or pretty... or looks good or bad. The look is not final yet. :dunno: :D

Power... I'm guessing about 160 HP... flat (and fat) torque that literally come up as early as around 2000 RPM...

Remember the base price of the K1300S? $15,500... only $250 increase from K1200S, but the ABS and onboard computer are standard. We all know they cost $900 and $250 respectively on the K1200S.

I wouldn't worry too much about being guinea pig... since a lot of them have been learnt on the K1200/K1300, not to mention the S1000RR. Think about it, when the K1200S came out, there was no BMW bike even close to that.

Those who said the S1000RR would be bug ridden must not realized that BMW literally took 5 years to develop the bike. Not to mention plus the lessons they've learnt on the K1200/K1300.

So far so good... things have been getting better. :D

1 - 20 of 100 Posts