BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a rider's review of the K1600GT done by Kevin Ash, a UK moto-journalist who attended BMW's South African launch.

·
Registered
239 Posts
K1600gtl

What a great review ! Finally some technical stuff,am beginning to think I want my K1300GT back !
cheers Andrew

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thanks Ken....good reading.

Mileage seems a little low....

"but this suggested 42mpg (14.9km/l, 6.7l/100km, 35.1mpg US) in fairly typical touring riding, falling to 35mpg (12.4km/l, 8.1l/100km, 29mpg US) when scraping the footrests and working the engine hard."

It will be interesting to see when the real world numbers start to roll in.

Overall though I'm thinking there are gonna be a lot of folks that will still be wishing there was a 12/13 GT available. (Especially one with an updated engine design!) ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Underwhelmed

Great to read an actual road test, Thanks Meese. I must say I'm underwhelmed with Kevin's description of torque. Having to downshift at least one, maybe 2 gears on a 6? I think I'll be content with my k12 for a while. I put 2,000 miles on a Wing and for a heavy bike it accelerates off the line pretty well, but the new k16 has more torque but doesn't feel as quick. Time and more tests will tell.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wait and See?

I had been an early adopter of several "R" and "K" bikes, including an early 2006 K12GT (the first batch delivered in April 06 in California). I have mix feelings about the excitement of being one of the happy few who get one early on but also helping the company fixing many bugs and sometimes deficiencies (hardware and software).
This time I'm really torn: a true new bike (engine, frame, hw and sw) is scary; I'm afraid to be left sowewhere in central California under 100F with a bike that simply needs a "computer reset". At the same time, it's a pretty good looking bike that would fit well in my garage in May or June...
Can we really trust BMW that this time, they have covered the tens of thousands of miles to fix most bugs? Thoughts?

·
Registered
181 Posts
My last three bikes--GL1800 Goldwing, K1200GT, and K1300GT were all ordered sight unseen, pre-release. All had problems. Most recently, the "switch cluster" problem left me with a very bad taste in my mourth re BMW's attitude toward their customers.
Bottom line: this time, I'm going to wait.
Don Goldberg

·
Registered
896 Posts
Put me in the, I don't want to be a beta tester line. Also there will be NO deals on the first years production, and I won't pay sticker for anything..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Erik said:
Put me in the, I don't want to be a beta tester line. Also there will be NO deals on the first years production, and I won't pay sticker for anything..
Maybe put me in the no money to buy and credit max out :). :yeow: :D :boom:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sounds to me like the K1600GT is going head to head with the GL1800. NO THANKS. I will pass on this one.
Kevin

·
Registered
896 Posts
I'm actually waiting on the possibility of a water cooled RT.. smoother, quieter, swoopier body work, with 140hp or so.. weighing about 575 wet or so... 700+ plus pound bikes aren't exciting for me.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Erik said:
I'm actually waiting on the possibility of a water cooled RT.. smoother, quieter, swoopier body work, with 140hp or so.. weighing about 575 wet or so... 700+ plus pound bikes aren't exciting for me.
Why a water-cooled boxer engine? :confused:

Water adds a lot of weight. You lose 12-15 HP to drive a water pump plus the loss of overall MPG as well (think Prius with their electric inverter water pump that increases mileage.). Then you have to add on a bunch of heavy stuff like radiators and hoses and hardware to hold it all. Somewhere, you'll have maintenance issues like leaks, refills, and seals to contend with.

Depending on the design on some motorcycle engines, a blown seal and you have water in the engine oil too. BMW, imho, isn't the greatest on seals anyplace: final drives, tranny, engine, etc. Add a water seal and it'll be another disaster in the making. Then will come people complaining, "My thermometer gauge shows 235 degrees. Is that bad?" or "Blackstone Labs has informed me I have a high H2O content in my oil analysis. Why?"

I'm not looking for a higher maintenance BMW with another $1,000 of parts that can go bad out on the road. I've been through the tow route, motel, and rental car stuff enough to know they'll mess it up by doing something like that with their boxer even though they are stubborn enough to do it. Lighter weight definitely is good though, but water ain't gonna do it.

For fun, look at the Harley V-Rod forums and putting "bleeding" or "anti-freeze" into their search box. They leak and not always in a good way, but at least they have a larger dealer network to bail them out. Sometimes a thrown stone off the tire will puncture the plastic radiator. Owners aren't to happy about it either. Least H-D had sense enough to leave their CVO air-cooled engines alone.

Oh, I've had my share of water-cooled puking and overheating Honda CBR's too. Water, as a coolant, can be just as inefficient in a water pump that turns at too slow a speed verses one that turns at too high a speed. Least Honda hasn't come out with a water-cooled lawnmower engine...yet, nor Stihl with a water-cooled chain saw.

Mack

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GMack said:
Why a water-cooled boxer engine? :confused:
Upcoming Federal and European emissions requirements. They simply have to do it sooner or later.

GMack said:
Least H-D had sense enough to leave their CVO air-cooled engines alone.
For now, but they're being forced to change to meet the new emissions requirements, too. That's gonna piss of a lot of the old guard . . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kevin does not need a bike with gears?

The review is great but the comparison on torque on rear wheel is a bit misleading.

Effectively the K1600 can put out the same torque on the rear wheel as the K1300 at 1000RPM less. Now gear the K1600 down one gear (or two) and get the motor also rotating at 4000RPM and then see who makes most torque on the wheel? The K1600 will at 4000 RPM in the lower gear at the same speed have MUCH more torque immediately available.

I don't know about you guys but when I take my K1200GT out for fast sweeping ride with girlfriend as a passenger and all the panniers left at home I just love to work it through the gears at 160 to 200kph. Gear it down 2 gears shoot past the traffic sweep into the next turn feel the fact that no other bike can go like a K1200GT with a passenger loaded. What a pleasure here in the Highveld South Africa with the cool wind in your face and the sound of the K1200GT with Cowley exhaust beautifully wailing away. USE THE GEARS or buy a bike then with one gear.

Anyway not good to drive your bike down to low rpm as though that is a selling point? When below 100km/hr I surely will be in 5th on my K1200GT. No need to wear only the 6th gear and worst load on an engine is heavy torque at low rpm where the oil pressure is low and crankjournals are taking wear.

Now here comes the smoothness and the sound of the K1600. I cannot wait. But the console or dash is really looking a bit cheapie to me. A bit Korean I would say.
But I am going to enjoy GEARING it down and feeling the power and hearing the sound and then of course the smoothness of a BMW straight 6.

Just the money ....... got to go rob a bank quickly. :teeth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts