BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone taken one for a ride yet? Off to Melbourne tomorrow will try and fit a ride in !
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
K1600gtl

OK ,took the K1600GT for a test ride,awesome motor but bloody heavy. VERY heavy can see lots getting dropped in car parks and at lights.
Still think BMW stuffed up dropping the K1300GT, it fits into a different grouping, and by dropping it and forcing buyers to go for a 1600GT have made a mistake.I was in the market for a 1600GT now will have a closer look at the R1200RT.
Just my opinion
cheers Andrew

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
I sat on one yesterday and intend to demo ride both versions soon. I can't imagine buying one, but there's no doubt it's an awesome machine. I didn't realize there was so much difference between the two versions.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Seems like getting away from the point of the exercise. I can not wring my RS out to its full potential and I am not without experience,, having done 6 weeks full time professional training amongst other things. Plus my K gives 50mpg on the old scale, some cars do more than that, what does the 1600 do. Bit like towing a trailer, may as well use the car and wear less clothing.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Papilio said:
Seems like getting away from the point of the exercise. I can not wring my RS out to its full potential and I am not without experience,, having done 6 weeks full time professional training amongst other things. Plus my K gives 50mpg on the old scale, some cars do more than that, what does the 1600 do. Bit like towing a trailer, may as well use the car and wear less clothing.
There's all that. And for me, one more: I own a PAID FOR '07 GT, and it's hard for me to get around that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K1600GTl

Must admit I was a bit shocked at how HEAVY it felt. BMW says the motor weighs 100 or so Kg , wonder how much the K1300GT weighs ? Anyhow I am now going to have a closer look at the R1200RT.
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nil_Time said:
Andrew - have you ridden the R1200/RT yet? Since I have one, I would be interested in your feedback.

Cheers
Tony
Tony, Andrew has selfishly headed off with a couple of friends north to Darwin and then around the west coast.
From what I can gather he is still on the GS so the RT must not have floated his boat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back home !

Sigh back home. Had a great time,about 14,000 km and 5 weeks. Met lots on bikes and GS's. Did I mention it was a great time. 3 of us went,the other two were Sally and Ian same as I rode around Namibia with earlier in the year. We are off to the US in a month to do a harley trip Chicago to LA via what is left of route 66. Boy have I had a good year !
No I have not ridden a R1200RT for a long time,last one would have been a R1100RT maybe first model ? I am as keen as mustard to try one though. Have to be in Melbourne next week for a DR appointment so may pack the helmet.
cheers Andrew

1 - 9 of 9 Posts