BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2013 Ducati Multistrada and looking to move into something new. There are a couple of good deals on low mileage 2015 K16GT or a 2019 S1000XR. I know these are two completely different machines but wondering what people think of them. I'm 63 years old, still love the sport part of sport-touring but need the comfort aspect, so upright riding position and comfortable seating are important. While I love certain aspects of my Ducati, I worry that the XR may be too much like what I'm already riding. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2016 S1000 XR 2015 K1300 S
169 Posts
I test rode a Multistrada before I bought my XR; I didn't feel any similarity between the two. I'm 62 with an aftermarket knee, the XR and I are best buds. Don't let the sit up and beg riding position fool you though: it is a SPORT bike. So much so that I don't like riding it on the freeway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did test drive an XR a few years ago before I bought my Multistrada. They are both great bikes but the inline 4 makes power in a much more "in your face" way! At the time I owned a K12S which was not a slow bike either but I remember laughing out loud when I hit the throttle on the XR. While I dream about hitting the open road on my bike, the reality is that I do about 6-7k miles/year on back roads with a few highway miles thrown in. This makes me think that the K16GT might not be the best bike for the type of riding I do, however, maybe it would make me slow down a bit ;)

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
435 Posts
I don't know about the slowing down part on a K16GT (160hp is awful tempting). There will be a big weight difference with the BMW. I suggest you take it for a spin and then try to put it on the center stand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a lot of test rides going on right now in the Northeast US which is a problem but it is a good time price-wise to buy a bike. There's a 2019 XR SE with Arrow exhaust (but no panniers) w/ 3k miles for $14k or a 2016 K16GT w/ 8k miles for the same price. While I love the thought of the comfort and wind protection of the K16, it might be overkill for the type and amount of riding I do but I worry the XR won't be as comfortable and I know it has the tendency to have a buzz in the handlebars and footpegs at certain RPM

·
Registered
2016 S1000 XR 2015 K1300 S
169 Posts

I believe, as in it was on the bike when I bought it, that is an MRA Touring screen. With it all the way up temps in the low 30's are not too bad.

The Shad bags were on the bike too. I don't hate them but they are mounted too high making throwing a leg over the seat harder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m 64 years old. I test rode both the K16GT and the XR. For my preference of twisty backroad touring and avoiding the interstate, the XR wins. If you don’t maintain discipline w your right wrist, the XR could be trouble. I think there have been some factory changes in the 19 model year that lessen vibration over the earlier bikes. Also, there are some aftermarket solutions such as handlebar weights.
Personally, I’d also be shopping for an aftermarket seat if I bought an XR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same dilemma, XR or K1600GT but stretched to a 2017 K to get the reverse gear for moving about on the gravel drive, would really like both.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the time I made up my mind, the '19 XR was sold. I ended up buying a '16 K16GT w/ 7900 miles. I tried to keep the Multistrada but the wife overruled me :(
I've only been able to ride it about a mile to the gas station (without a plate) before the weather tunred here in the northeast. The XR was somewhat similar to the Multi so I decided to try something new. I'm anxious to log some miles and see if this fits the bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts