BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't able to find any other threads on this topic using search and I'm a little surprised as I think this would be a common problem - but maybe not.

I'm a new 1995 K75 owner and there are some spots along the tank bottom/weld seam where the paint has blistered. I suspect a pinhole leak except the blisters are dry. Who knows, maybe a previous owner repaired from the inside.

My approach is probably going to be apply a sealer to the inside, fill and fair the outside, and have the tank repainted.

Interested in hearing any other approaches...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Caswell's for sealing gas tanks

I am experiencing the exact same issue on a 94 K75 that was left to rot and had planty of water in the fuel.

Caswells will show up on these forums as a popular solution. I tried it and Im still awaiting new fuel pump before reassembling and filling with fuel. I can say there is a nice 1/8' to 3/16' epoxy coating in the bottom 1/3rd of the tank. i will be surprised if this stuff doesn't work. I've heard lots of good reviews far outnumbering the issue with using Caswell's.

Secrets to success are to make sure both the tank and the epoxy are clost to the same temprature and warm - over 70.

You will need to condition the aluminum first by sloshing a lye solution around in there. Directions for this step are specified in the Caswell's instructions. I only needed 1/2 of the solution and still had some left over.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET IT POOL TOO THICK UNDER WHERE THE FUEL PUMP WILL GO or you wont be able to fit the fuel pump all the way down there.

Good luck

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought a used tank that corroded through the bottom seam. Usually where the water settles especially if the bike sits alot. Anyway, sanding it off and sealing with permatex gas tank sealer worked, and has lasted 4 or 5 years so far. Not too worried about how it looked since it's mostly covered by the fairing. JB weld works too, but I like the permatex better

1 - 3 of 3 Posts