BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Thanks for the info with the heated Grips...damaged wiring, fixed and up and running. Noticed today while riding that sometimes the digital gear reading is incorrect showing 3rd gear when you are in first gear , then its settles its self, when riding in top gear it does not show 5th while you are riding along. Is there a fix for this?? Have to say though what an enjoyable ride ... :phonecall

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Trying to remember, been a while. Does that one have a multipin connector like the later Ks? If so I'd look at that first, may be some corrosion in there. Older bike, you should pull all the connectors that you can see and clean/lube them. Doesn't take much corrosion or moisture to cause annoying gremlins. :teeth You are Irish....any road salt that way? :yeow: I'd show you some green connectors on my much later bike. :teeth

Sorry....must be the Whisky, trying to compare Jameson to Powers yesterday. :eek:hyeah: :yesnod: :thumb:

BMW does have a service bulletin that recommends cleaning and lubing all the connectors once a year. Old bulletin, applies to all bikes and still valid. :)

:xcheer:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Or -

Just replace the gear indicator switch. It's been a while since I did this on my '85, but the symptoms were if it rained....the readings went to gibbrish.

The procedure in in the Clymer manual - but I recall that you need to remove the swingarm and I also recall that there were a couple of different designs over the years. Make sure you get the right model for your year bike. :phonecall

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H96669 said:
Trying to remember, been a while. Does that one have a multipin connector like the later Ks? If so I'd look at that first, may be some corrosion in there. Older bike, you should pull all the connectors that you can see and clean/lube them. Doesn't take much corrosion or moisture to cause annoying gremlins. :teeth You are Irish....any road salt that way? :yeow: I'd show you some green connectors on my much later bike. :teeth

Sorry....must be the Whisky, trying to compare Jameson to Powers yesterday. :eek:hyeah: :yesnod: :thumb:

BMW does have a service bulletin that recommends cleaning and lubing all the connectors once a year. Old bulletin, applies to all bikes and still valid. :)

:xcheer:
Cheers great help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts