BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here added a pre-load spacer collar to his shock?

My spring, stock shock '87 K75, does not give the required ride height with two up anymore, and so rather than buy a new one since it still dampens good enough, I though I might add some more pre-load.

I manged to put an approx 13mm wide "collar" made from ABS plumbing between the step-ramp collar, and top washer above the spring, with the shock still mounted.

Haven't had a chance to try it on the road, but just wondering if anybody else has added collars or spacers to their stock shock to add more pre-load/raise ride height/extend service life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
owrstrich said:
greetings stryder...

i wanna make sure i understand... the value of the well being of your passenger is the cost of a 13mm wide collar made from abs rigged to your 27 year old shock...

j o

No, not quite. The value is in of coming up with an easy and inexpenisve if not creative and ingenious alternative to spending a grand on a 27 year old bike.

No safety issue here that that I can think of. Not like adding a little more pre-load is gonna create a hazard. It's meant to add ride height, which it should. I'm just wondering if anybody else ever came up with this approach, i.e. adding a pre-load spacer, and what his experience might have been.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think coil bind will break your plastic spacer. You can't find a used aftermarket shock?

Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts