BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, this is my first post here on the site.

Ive been working on a 1994 k75 for a while and have finally got round to replacing the battery and taking it outside to start

i dont have the rear exhaust on at this point

I put some new fuel in the tank, it pressurised and wow started almost straight away!

However the revs built up extrememly quickly (immediatly) and so i was having to shut it off - the bike hasnt been started in over 12 months

my friend and i have been reading the manual trying to eliminate ideas however we have had no luck and are stuck

we believe it to be electrical as the throttle bodies and choke appear to be moving freely

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Andy

·
Registered
350 Posts
Check the easy stuff first

Throttle and cable? 'Choke?'

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
andyk2013 said:
hi everyone, this is my first post here on the site.

Ive been working on a 1994 k75 for a while and have finally got round to replacing the battery and taking it outside to start

i dont have the rear exhaust on at this poin

However the revs built up extrememly quickly (immediatly) and so i was having to shut it off - the bike hasnt been started in over 12 months

we believe it to be electrical as the throttle bodies and choke appear to be moving freely

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Andy
Since no one else is helping...

First, put the exhaust back on. I doubt that is it, but it is an easy thing to do. On my 85 K100, I tried to start the motor with the muffler off and had no success. Put it on and the engine fired right up.

Second, disconnect the "choke" (fast idle adjust) and throttle cables at the bar controls. See if that eliminates the surging.

Next, I would check the throttle position sensor. The throttle cable runs into this. It is located at the rear end of the throttle bodies. This sensor has two switches. One indicates throttle off. The other indicates throttle wide open. Perhaps the wide open switch is stuck on. The closing of this switch leads to maximum fuel.

Try these and let me know what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts