BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a jaunt from Michigan to Alaska next July. Will be riding my '91 K75. Hope to be riding back too.
Any advice on the haul road from Fairbanks north on a street bike? Or up to Inuvik?
I thought I might try to mount some dualsport tires, but which ones?
I've heard of guys on sportbikes doing it but I'm too old for that sort of stuff.
Waddya think?
Thanks in advance.
JohnD

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Met a 74yrs old guy last summer with a cheap V-Star 650. He was just back from there, plenty of mud left on his bike. :teeth No dual sport tires. Cheap saddlebags/tent etc...etc...he was having a good time. :clap:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Haul Road

The weather is the biggest factor on the Haul Road / Dalton Hwy. If it's wet - the road will like riding a greased pig on roller skates - and there is a good chance of meeting up with water trucks - they provide for wet roads with a mix of water and Sodium Chloride ( called Calcite).
BTW , be sure to get fuel just after the Yukon Crossing ( MP 60) , and fuel again at Coldfoot.
Make sure to find a car wash once you get back to Fairbanks - clean that Calcite stuff off the bike - if it stays on the bike - it will be like removing concrete.

KOH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts