BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to site. Lots of great stuff here. 91K75RT- just turned 40k miles in the deep woods of ME.

Q - My oil pan cover is leaking. I assume its due to O ring seal, or dirt, or warping of actual cover. I also recently upgraded to dealer synthetic oil. I've drained the oil twice, cleaned all the bolts, screws, and everything that could possible have dirt on or in it. It's still leaking. I noticed a huge improvement in engine performance with new oil, but is that part of the problem(viscosity?) Any suggestions?

Also, I bought Mobil oil filter and Synthetic 15W-50 oil to try out instead of dealer synthetic. Read some positive reports on it. Any thoughts welcome and I know this might stir the pot a bit.

Thanks, and glad to be here
Rob

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
You could try checking surface flatness using a sheet of float glass and some engineers blue. It's not uncommon for cover surfaces to distort with heat cycling.

Most oil leak problems are caused by lack of preparation and keeping the mating surfaces clean and oil free, until contact with O ring or gasket by the cover is made.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
M6x20 bolts? Or did someone install longer ones as in 25mm after stripping some of the threads? The 25mm may bottom out just as they start putting some pressure on the cover.

New O-ring for $2.94? Your post doesn't say if it was replaced.

Worse case scenario and the cover is warped,11131460229 is the part number. Pretty well applies to ALL the Ks so there are a few cheap ones on fleabay.Mind you a new one is $21.13 according to Max's parts fiche. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts