BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although the older K75RT have stabile, quiet, bullet proof engines and the fairing provides good wind protection. However in the summer, you would shift to the side of the bike to get any breeze and the heat from the engine is really unbearable.

Does anyone know if the newer KGT bikes (2006 and newer) have the same short comings or are they resolved? Also, are there any other issues with the newer Ks?

thank you

tony

·
Registered
311 Posts
tlaw1994 said:
Although the older K75RT have stabile, quiet, bullet proof engines and the fairing provides good wind protection. However in the summer, you would shift to the side of the bike to get any breeze and the heat from the engine is really unbearable.

Does anyone know if the newer KGT bikes (2006 and newer) have the same short comings or are they resolved? Also, are there any other issues with the newer Ks?

thank you

tony
Yes and no? I think the amount of airflow on my '03 was great in the summer time, and kind of limited in the Spring/Fall/Winter/Rain. The airflow on my '10 K13GT is much different. With the screen completely down I get air from my chest on up. With it completely up I can get mostly out of the airstream but there is a lot of buffeting. The newer bike tends to leave your shoulders and arms out in the air more.

Issues with the new bikes? Um, some. SOME people are having engine problems. SOME people are having stalling issues. SOME people are having electrical issues.

I've had my bike stall at low speeds about 6 times. Mostly just before the first 6k service interval. They put some fuel additive in the tank and it has been fine so far. I'll see what happens as I get closer to the 12k.

Besides that... Tons of power, great handling, great for all day riding, etc. Mine has all the factory available gadgets with the exception of alarm system. Cruise is FANTASTIC on the highway. I've only added a GPS (Zumo 660) so far. Lighting is much better than my '03. My furthest this season was only to Rochester, NY from NH. Other than that I ride anywhere from 100 - 200 miles per week.

Range is about 230 miles if you are gentle with her. Tank is 6 gallons including the reserve. I'm getting a little over 40 mpg.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Geez, Tony, you live in New England and you don't want a bike with a built-in heater? Tomorrow at dawn it's going to be 40 degrees when I start my commute. My thighs will be huggin' that warm gas tank like nobody's business... :bmw:
Steve
1990 K75RT (RT as in "Really Toasty")

·
Registered
311 Posts
This morning was in fact 43 degrees for my short commute to work. Shields up, and heat turned on... :ricky

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually i live in wisconsin, during the summer months there is nothing you can do to get away from the heat out of the engine. it would be a great winter, fall, spring bike, but when the summer is in full swing, it is not as fun.

·
Registered
172 Posts
tlaw...sorry I got your location wrong. Yes, the KRT in summertime is a cooker. When you've only got one bike (like me), it's kind of a love/hate relationship. Autumn is coming, and the riding will be great. Hey, if only we could rig up a flip out grill to attach to the engine, think all of the brats you could grill up at Lambeau!
Steve
1990 K75RT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts