BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a bit of oil sitting on the back rim today and initially thought it was coming from the final drive drain. I made sure the plug was snug and cleaned the area. Shortly after, noticed a couple of new drops of oil. It appears to be coming from the wheel side of the final drive (between the brake disc and final drive unit - so I can't see in there w/o taking it apart). Any advice on what I should be looking for before I tear into this? This is my 1st bike, owned less than a year and not totally familiar with all the maintenance stuff yet.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
41 Posts
This may be totally irrelevant, but...

I have a 2003 K12LT. After towing it back from Washington state, I found a large oil stain on the wheel and trailer floor.

I thought it was final drive failure, but the K12LT folks said that it was simply a result of oil venting from the FD (through a vent on the top of the FD) because of major altitude changes--something they'd experienced while shipping their bikes by air or otherwise dragging (not riding) the bike over significant altitude gradients.

While I have a K75 (91) and a K11LT (93) I can't say that I've looked for such a vent on your model, but it's a marginal possibility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the detail, Chaos. Here's a shot of what I've got. The oil is coming from the wheel side of the final drive housing and dripping on the rear brake disc. Any thoughts on where I should start digging?

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just thought vented lube from the FD was worth a shot: it looks like the vent at the top of the FD on the earlier K-bikes is similar to the one on my K12.

The determining factor, however, would be the bike moving over significant altitude gradients while not under power; the indicator would be a sheen of oil from that vent.

It's a slow Saturday night; after forty years at UT El Paso, I have no interest in going to a football game which is supposed to be a push-over but, as too often has happened in the past, may be a disaster.

Larry Johnson
1991 K75RT
1993 K11LT
2003 K12LT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts