BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,
I took my new toy for a long mountain run this weekend and the further I rode the better I was enjoying it.

The only difficulty I'm having with the K75 is parking it, especially when I have to duck walk it backwards uphill into a bike park. I'm 6'3 but my feet just can't get enough purchase on the ground in those situations when I'm straddling the saddle. I just checked the specs and the seat is about 2" taller than my old Bonnie.

Has anyone had any experience with lowering?

I'm thinking if I could get it an inch or two nearer to the ground .... But I don't want to compromise the smooth ride or handling on bumpy country roads.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wouldn't

I wouldn't. I'm five ten. My Ocelot is a factory lowered K75C with a Corbin. I like her that way. Real handy when throwing a leg over or paddle footing round a parking lot. Fine ergos as far as the handlebars landing in the right place. But her pegs are on the verge of cramped. At six two, I think your legs would feel folded up like a paper clip if you dropped the seat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would like to try this trick of sliding the fork tubes up in the triple tree. Doesn't look like they can move up very ;much, but every little bit would help me.While I look thru my Clymer's for advice on this operation, if anyone knows of a link describing the operation, or has any advice at all on the procedure, I'd be glad to hear it. My bike has an RT fairing, if that makes a difference...
thanks,
Steve
1990 K75RT

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Don t forget: what you gain in being able to foot it around your going to lose fun in cornering. I would go with a custom seat if anything. the engineers designed it the way it is. Messing around with the geometry of the bike by other than a professional could be a disaster waiting to happen...tank slapper... not fun...A bike that gets into three digits is nothing you should play with...now a chopper project or on a tractor you wouldn't really have those worries :teeth

·
Registered
70 Posts
stevemac829 said:
I would like to try this trick of sliding the fork tubes up in the triple tree. Doesn't look like they can move up very ;much, but every little bit would help me.While I look thru my Clymer's for advice on this operation, if anyone knows of a link describing the operation, or has any advice at all on the procedure, I'd be glad to hear it. My bike has an RT fairing, if that makes a difference...
thanks,
Steve
1990 K75RT
Hi Steve. Like I said I did it on mine and it did not effect handling at all, of course I am not a BMW engineer. And, you are right, you will not gain much by doing the procedure.

The procedure is not in Clymers, I found the suggestion on one of these BMW forums but can't find it right now. It was a fairly simple operation but akward with the RT fairing in the way. Just a matter of getting the allen wrenches down there and losing up the clamps. I think the "dashboard" was in the way, and had to be taken off.
I will keep searching for the link as you asked for.

By the way, I got the letter you sent with the RT info. Thanks so much.

edit: here is one link that mentions the procedure but no details:
http://skylands.ibmwr.org/tom/tech/k-lowering.html
(It also warns of cornering clearance changes)
I think I saw more details on BMWMOA but I can't search there without becoming a paying member, and I'm too cheap for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I lowered mine with excellent results:
Install spacers under the damper rod springs in the forks - 1-1.5"
Hagon and YSS has a shorter shock - 1-1.5" to match front drop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts