BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the S on the road. I purchased it in Jul but have had registration issues that took a while to get resolved. I really like it, my other bike is a '96 R1100 RT.
There is an '85 K75C that has come up for sale locally. It is an '85 with 9K miles on it. Ad says needs battery, tires, and possibly a fuel pump. I do not know how long it has been sitting. He is asking $1500 for it.
I have read that the earlier models had an issue with oil getting past the rings, what other issues are there?
Jim

·
Registered
305 Posts
Most of it's issues will probably be related to it sitting unused. Hydraulics, rubber bits, & fuel system are all suspect. Instruments are one problem area, odo reading may be suspect. Check for corrosion on the bottom center seam of the gas tank. Otherwise these are about the most bullet proof bike out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mentioned some of these items to the seller on the phone and he got a little indignant.

If it is still listed in a couple of days I may contact him again.

Jim

·
Registered
153 Posts

I bought a 1990 K75C this summer. Had been sitting five years according to the PO, ten according to the registration. Parked with a full tank off. I paid 1500 (probably too much) because it looks so cherry. Here are the issues:

Ethanol ate up the shoulder around the fuel pump, as well as every hose in the tank. A new kit including filter, hoses, pump and shoulder went for about 350

Old stale ethanol gas stinks to high effing heaven

As long as the other stuff needed cleaned, I figured the injectors did too. I sent them to Mr Injector for 16 clams apiece. So say by the time you ship there's another 50

A new battery set me back I dunno maybe eighty

New tires another buck and a half

Oil, tranny oil, and such not

All in all, I was out maybe 2200 or so. Fired up at first touch and runs like a champ.Easy to work on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
K75 in Atlanta

Jim, I talked to the guy that owns the K75 in Atlanta and I wanted to buy it, but he was not very friendly and is probably the reason he still has the bike. That in itself is not a reason to not buy the bike, just a reason to look at it closely. I think the bike is overpriced and when I offered a lower figure he emailed me back and asked me not to waist his time. Otherwise, Id be working on it now getting it ready to ride...
:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another one listed

Jim, if you are looking for a K bike, there is another one on Atlanta Craigslist, just posted. 85', yellow K with 80,000 on the clock, looks really nice and price is right.....Ron :xcheer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at it

I went by last night and looked at the C.

It had been down on the right side and the trans housing was cracked and one of the bolts was exposed. He had the fuel pump and low fuel float out on the bench. The inside of the tank had been cleaned, but would require more work. The fairings looked good.

The title was from NC and he had not transferred it to him.

Before I went over there I had figured I would offer him 1000.

After the problems I have had getting my S registered and the damage I told him I was not interested. Maybe for 750 I would consider it.

I really don't need another project now, but would pick one up if the price was right,

I saw the one on Craigs list, it looked like a deal.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts