BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why not have a spiritual successor to the K75S? Cut the 1600 in half so it's an 800 triple and give it a half-fairing...........
Gilly

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Interesting idea . . .

If only BMW made a mid-weight sport-tourer. Something about 800cc, with a decent fairing, factory bags, and coming in somewhere near 400 lbs or so. Why, I bet y'all would just run right out and buy one today. :D

And if they put a reliable final drive system on it, all the better . . . ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
K800

GillyWI said:
Why not have a spiritual successor to the K75S? Cut the 1600 in half so it's an 800 triple and give it a half-fairing...........
Gilly

or a GT light? 100hp, 550lbs wet, full bags and protection like the 12/13 Gt with the same front end= SOLD!

The perfect bike? Sign me up, I'll take the first one off the line, faults and all :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
LesterV said:
or a GT light? 100hp, 550lbs wet, full bags and protection like the 12/13 Gt with the same front end= SOLD!

The perfect bike? Sign me up, I'll take the first one off the line, faults and all :D
Crap, you want to go backwards in time. The cost won't be less, you'll just get less. :D

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But sometimes LESS is MORE :confused2
more or less.........
especially when it comes to bikinis.............

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am old enough to remember when 750cc's was considered a big bike, 1600 just seems way too big, my last bike was 1500 and I went down to my 13GT, 1600 is a road cruiser, not a sport bike anymore. I got the 13GT because its great on the open road and great on the twisties, the 1600 with its longer wheelbase and heavier weight just can't be as good in the twisties. Also with the heavier weight, it just wont make it a good daily driver in stop/go traffic (happy to say I have daily driven my GT since March, except for 4 days when battery was dead and I was waiting for my new one)

Prior to buying the 13GT I looked at the new Honda that is only 700cc, I think its a NT700, I really liked it, just felt it might be too weak for long distance 2up riding, but I REALLY came close to getting it. Something in the 800-900 range from BMW with a fairing, nice top case and the great GT suspension would be PERFECT.

Oh and I agree with the bikini comment, the smaller the better

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd also be curious if the 1600 will need the hydraulic center stand (or whatever powers it), it's kinda nice to have a centerstand that you just pull up yourself. I mean for an LT, they probably were tempted to just delete it, when it takes that much engineering and weight to have it, but from the outside looking in I think it's good they include it. Did the cruiser BMW made have one? The R1200C?
But getting back to a GT, once you cross the line into "power center stand", what else will they do, install a reverse gear and cupholders? I suppose the GTL will have cupholders....
oh well, I am still intersted in a demo ride once it's here.

Gilly

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
mikeyr said:
the 1600 with its longer wheelbase and heavier weight just can't be as good in the twisties.
Funny, I know guys that say just that about the K13GT . . . :D

I'm reserving judgement until we get some more concrete specs (like weight and wheel base), and really, until I can see and touch and ride one myself. Then I'll make the call. :)

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
GillyWI said:
once you cross the line into "power center stand", what else will they do, install a reverse gear and cupholders?
My guess is that there will be a proper K1600LT for 2012, with the power center stand, remote bag/trunk unlocking, and reverse gear. Or is that a K1800LT coming in 2013? I forget which . . . :D

I think that the GT and GTL will actually ride much better than most folks think. One thing that BMW is really good at is hiding weight and optimizing handling.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I wish they would of bored and stroked the K75 to 900cc and added 4V heads. That might of made me trade up from my S.

On the other hand I wonder why they didn't make this 6 cylinder monstrosity a 5-banger. The Germans have a history of 5 cylinder cars (Audi, VW, Mercedes) , it would be unique in the motorcycle world and could theoretically be narrower.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
chaos said:
On the other hand I wonder why they didn't make this 6 cylinder monstrosity a 5-banger.
From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
A disadvantage of a straight-five over a straight-six engine is that a straight-five engine is not inherently balanced. A straight-five design has free moments (vibrations) of the first and second order, while a straight-six has zero free moments. This means that no additional balance shafts are needed in a straight-six. By comparison an inline-four engine has no free moments of the first or second order, but it does have a large free force of the second order which contributes to the vibration found in unbalanced straight-four designs.
The (other) Germans may have a history of 5-cylinder engines, but BMW has been perfecting straight-6 engines for almost 80 years now. They're damn good at it, too.

Here's some further info from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, which can be achieved without using a balance shaft. The engine is in primary balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs. That is, piston #1 balances #6, #2 balances #5, and #3 balances #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because an inline six cylinder crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that differences in piston speed at any given point in rotation are effectively canceled.

Inline six engines have no primary or secondary imbalances, and with carefully designed crankshaft vibration dampers to absorb torsional vibration, will run more smoothly at the same crankshaft speed (rpm). This characteristic has made the inline six popular in some European sports-luxury cars, where smooth high-speed performance and good fuel economy are desirable.
Hmm, smooth high-speed performance and good fuel economy seem to be excellent qualities for a continent-crossing sports-tourer. :)

Remember, the new Slant/6 motor is only 2.6" wider than the Slant/4. Besides having smaller pistons, it removes both counter balancers that are necessary to make the Slant/4 motor rideable, meaning it can also use a smaller flywheel and retain its inherent smoothness. So overall there is much less rotating mass, giving an engine that spins up faster (although to a lower top rpm). There is also a ton more useable torque, especially in the lower and midrange rpms, where most street riders spend most of their time.

Trust me, there's a lot to love about a 6-banger that's been optimized for motorcycle use.

But if you really want a lightweight, fun successor to your K75, I suggest you look here:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Meese said:
But if you really want a lightweight, fun successor to your K75, I suggest you look here:

If I wanted a belt-driven twin I'd buy a Harley!

·
Registered
163 Posts
bretts1200gt said:
I think we got us a triumph lover here!!! :spank1: :rotf:
If my 13GT lasts that long, the Triumph 1050 Sprint GT is looking like my next bike. Its a shame to say that so soon, normally I don't look at another bike for about 5 or 6 years after buying one and here I am 7 months into and already looking. I will miss my 13GT, best bike I have ever ridden. I have 2 1/2 years left on my warranty and the 1050 Sprint GT does not come out until later this year, that is how long BMW has to put out a half bike at 800cc's :)

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts