BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to trailer my K RS and I am 99% set on buying a Kendon single bike trailer.

Anybody with first hand knowledge on this trailer, please tell me if it's possible to load and unload a 650 lb KRS by one person w/o someone else's help.

I like the Kendon because it stands up to store and takes up little space in the garage.

I am also looking at the Razor trailer, which is made to load and unload by one person by dropping the trailer bed to ground level. But it doesn't stand up for storage, it takes up as much space as a car in the garage.

What I really need is a KendonRazor Trailer. I haven't seen one of those yet.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,624 Posts
While I haven't used the Kendon trailer, a good buddy of mine who has a K1200RS uses one often.. and yes.. it is a one man operation for him. He also likes the stand-up feature. It is VERY well made.

For what it's worth.. speaking as a trailer guy myself..Having owned both open and enclosed, if you can afford it... get an enclosed trailer. There are so many more benefits... weather protection, safety for your bike, storage for all your crap/gear, and a place for the impromptu naked roadside nooner parties or camping, etc..

I paid $2100 for mine with ultra-low foofoo cushy suspention, ride up ramp, vents, lighting, etc.. Woth every penny. My 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Trailer in style

This is a very modest trailer for $ 275,000. Plus $100,000 for a tractor.

I tour the USA with this rig. It's a class room I use to teach about hydraulics and computers that control the system.

I bought a new K1200RS in 2002 so I would have some way of getting around and have some fun. Now I have an 04 K1200 RS.

Bazra
aka; The Flash
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I own a single bike Kendon; I load and unload my GT by myself but feel it is much safer with help. My biggest problem was getting it to back over the flip flop wheel chock while un loading. I removed the f-f wheel chock and made unloading the bike much easier and have not noticed any problems with out it. Very well made trailer and have got a lot of comments on how nice it looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
badbm4 said:
I own a single bike Kendon; I load and unload my GT by myself but feel it is much safer with help. My biggest problem was getting it to back over the flip flop wheel chock while un loading. I removed the f-f wheel chock and made unloading the bike much easier and have not noticed any problems with out it. Very well made trailer and have got a lot of comments on how nice it looks.
With the f-f taken off, how does the bike stay upright? So you can make the first two ties.

When you load the bike, do you ride it, do you walk beside it, do you use the engine to power it up? How do you do it?

Ditto for taking off the trailer

Thanks,

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I push the bike on and off; I have used the bikes power while walking it on the trailer but prefer to push. I place soft ties around both forks just above the fender then hook straps to the forward trailer position( straps are adjusted to approx.lenght) I push bike into position grab the left strap and put through the left soft tie on the fork, then put a little tension on the strap to keep bike from falling to the right, go to the right side place strap on the soft tie and adjust straps accordingly to place bike in up right position. I believe the bike will fall over if just placed in the f-f chock with no straps. Having the hinch height correct so the trailer is level will help when loading also, it's not easy by yourself but can be done with some planing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
badbm4 said:
I push the bike on and off; I have used the bikes power while walking it on the trailer but prefer to push. I place soft ties around both forks just above the fender then hook straps to the forward trailer position( straps are adjusted to approx.lenght) I push bike into position grab the left strap and put through the left soft tie on the fork, then put a little tension on the strap to keep bike from falling to the right, go to the right side place strap on the soft tie and adjust straps accordingly to place bike in up right position. I believe the bike will fall over if just placed in the f-f chock with no straps. Having the hinch height correct so the trailer is level will help when loading also, it's not easy by yourself but can be done with some planing
OK, thanks for the info. I believe you when you say it's not easy single handedly.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
rfespinosa said:
OK, thanks for the info. I believe you when you say it's not easy single handedly.

Ron
I owned the Kendon for two seasons. It's inexpensive. Stores easily and I can tell you that the trailer tows extremely well, when going forward. It's light and is located close to the towing vehicle. But because of this, backing up is a more difficult task. When there is no bike on the trailer forget it all together. The trailer jacknifes too easily backing up.
The worst feature of this trailer is the loading. You may convince yourself it isn't dangerous, but it's very dangerous. One man may be able to do it sometimes, but even with two it's a struggle. My advice is, don't buy the Kendon. Get something that can be loaded safely by one person.
After experimenting with a variety of trailers I bought a Charriot trailer made in FL. It's much larger than the average trailer but the quality is best in the field. You can install a chock on the front and load with zero problems. Simply ride the bike on the trailer, directly onto the chock. Get off. Tie it down and drive into the sunset.
The other option is the Baxely trailer with their chock pre-installed. Actually the trailer and chock are desinged around each other. For a smaller trailer the Baxely would be my choice.
I reularly trailer my bikes between MA and VT, towed behing an SUV. I also haul a large boat trailer towed by a 1 ton truck.
Have you considered whether you want a single or double trailer? Good luck. Hope this helps.
Vlad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,774 Posts
I'm with Pirate on this one, as I've got an enclosed trailer too.

Put a wheel chock in the front of the trailer and ride the bike into it. Put down the sidestand and connect a tiedown on the left side with a little slack. Attach the right side tiedown and straighten the bike upright. Put a couple of extra tiedowns on the rear and your set to go. Check the tiedowns at the first gas stop.

You'll never have to worry about safety for your bike if you don't have anything on the exterior that would give a hint as to what's inside. There will also be plenty of room for your riding gear and motorcycle luggage. In a pinch you could throw a matt and sleeping bag back there and take a snooze, providing your trailer had a door that would lock from the inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Again, thanks all for the first hand information, I MUST have a trailer I can use by myself. So based on your experiences the Kendon is the wrong choice. And I came within an inch of ordering one so I am glad I checked here first.

As far as the advice on the enclosed trailer, thanks but the open trailer is still at the top of the list. It's just that for my purposes I don't really need it. So I don't want the added expense and the added space for storage.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
enclosed trailer

Keep in mind that most enclosed trailers are a very tight fit. On entry you have to do a lot of squeezing. The ones that are supposed to comfortably fit touring bikes rarely do. Remember there has to be enough room for you and the bike inside the trailer while tying it up. Not so easy unless you get a double and only transport one bike at a time.

On the subject of sleeping in the trailer. Well I suppose you can put the bike out on the street and get in the trailer. Really? It doesn't sound too realistic to me.

I still say if size and price are no object get a Charriot. If size is a problem get the Baxley. The extra grand you spend up front will for either of these will be appreciated each time you use the trailer.

Vlad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vlad,

The Charriot Cycle Sled 9 is actually narrower than the Baxley SB001. My approach to this has changed now that the space savings of the Kendon is out. I am wondering if the Charriot Cycle Sled 9 can be used to park my bike, if yes, that would solve the space problem the Kendon would have solved. I would then have only the footprint of the trailer, the bike would be parked on it all the time.

Do you have a Charriot? What model?

On the topic of a closed trailer.
Security - could be an advantage, yes, but I am willing to travel on the bike only and then I have to leave it out in the open anyway.
Storage - I am a light traveler, I don't need much.
Sleeping quarters - I prefer Marriott.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
single or double?

Ron
If you are considering a single trailer, then the Charriot will have a slimmer profile. I have the open, two position Charriot. The only minor annoyance I've encountered with my model is that the wheels of the trailer extend a bit more than the full size SUV I pull with. Just a little interesting when making it through narrow toll stations. You won't have this problem since the single is actually very slim.

If you decide on the Charriot there are only a few "upgrades" I would suggest. A spare wheel. Some reflective tape around the trailer. I also added a security ring in the center to chain the motorcycle to the trailer. I never use it. These are worthwhile "upgrades" for any trailer you buy.

There are several choices in chocks. I think the Sport chock from Baxely is the best quality. If you are somewhat mechanical you can install the chock yourself, but you might find out from Charriot what they offer. It may be cheaper through them. Don't buy their tie downs. Make sure they wire the brake system to match your vehicle. I keep my bikes in the garage off the trailer. If you have the headroom to drive the trailer with the bike loaded this would be a good solution to space problems. Some garages don't have the height.

Let me know if I can help.
Vlad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Good advice in this thread.

My recommendation is also the Chariot Cycle Sled 9. I have investigated this trailer manufacturer and evaluated their products for the past five years, and find that is, perhaps, the best open bike trailer on the market. Chariot also makes a most excellent enclosed trailer (but they aren't cheap). The only reason I haven't purchased a Chariot is the fact that my "Featherlite" functions too well to justify a new trailer. If you decide to purchase the Chariot Cycle Sled 9, I recommend you also add the optional windscreen/stone guard and the spare tire holder.

http://www.chariot-trailer.com

OkeefenokeeJoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I have a two place Kendon and really like it, excellent build quality and ride. I didn't realize it was hard to load until I read this thread. With the two place you can walk the bike right up with no problem. I didn't want an enclosed trailer because they are heavy and I have no place to store it. I think you would be happy with the Kendon but the two place sounds like it might be a better choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
OkeefenokeeJoe said:
Good advice in this thread.

My recommendation is also the Chariot Cycle Sled 9. I have investigated this trailer manufacturer and evaluated their products for the past five years, and find that is, perhaps, the best open bike trailer on the market. Chariot also makes a most excellent enclosed trailer (but they aren't cheap). The only reason I haven't purchased a Chariot is the fact that my "Featherlite" functions too well to justify a new trailer. If you decide to purchase the Chariot Cycle Sled 9, I recommend you also add the optional windscreen/stone guard and the spare tire holder.

http://www.chariot-trailer.com

OkeefenokeeJoe
You are absolutely right. I forgot the stone guard-spare tire compartment. Enough room in there to keep odds and ends. It's where I store my tire chocks, etc.

Vlad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GT_Jim said:
I have a two place Kendon and really like it, excellent build quality and ride. I didn't realize it was hard to load until I read this thread. With the two place you can walk the bike right up with no problem. I didn't want an enclosed trailer because they are heavy and I have no place to store it. I think you would be happy with the Kendon but the two place sounds like it might be a better choice.
GT Jim

Tell me more about loading a motorcycle into your double Kendon. Do you sit on it and ride it up? Or do you stand beside it and push it up? Obviously you have a method you think is easy. Also, what is it about the double bike trailer that would make it easier to load than a single bike trailer?


Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
double or single

I'm going to let the other fellow make his comments about loading the Kendon since I'm curious to read how it's done, especially if he rides the bike up on the rail. Keep in mind that when loading the Kendon you are standing lower than the bike. If you have enough confidence to push the bike onto the rail above you, it may sound like a good idea. I had the double Kendon, and I can tell you I had a bitch of a time loading two normal size bikes. There just isn't any room to work between the mc's. I suppose it may be easier if you're loading a couple of small dirt bikes.
My advice to you is to go to your Kendon dealer and ask for a demo and then try loading it yourself. If all goes well, and you feel confident... Voila!
Now let's see how it's supposed to be done.
Vlad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
When I'm by myself I load it in the right rail and I stand on the left side of the bike. I use the motor to run it up the ramp and I step up onto the deck and walk with it right into the wheel chock. Regardless of the type of trailer, I have always walked them up with the motor, never ridden a bike on. Like I said earlier, maybe I just don't know better but now I am paranoid I will drop it next time.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top