BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Oh I love reviews.....now I know what's wrong with my 1200...it's "lackluster" ! :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
My K1200GT (2008 btw) is "old".

Point of fact. His mileage numbers on the K13GT were in line with what I see on my bike. So those of you claiming mid to high 40's mpg (US), how do you do that? My BC records a steady 42 and I'll see 40 point something on the calculator at the pump. Latest software, good tyre pressures, new O2 sensor. Do all y'all have a tailwind option on your bike or something? just curious :dunno:

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I go with my wife for a ride, her with her HD and my GT, we ride speed limits maybe little more and cruise along and we get about 50 MPG some times more and some time less but not much. If I am by my self then I get 38 to 42 MPG. Depends on your wrist action. Ride your ride and enjoy life :)

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Robert_W said:
Oh I love reviews.....now I know what's wrong with my 1200...it's "lackluster" ! :D
Yes. So "lackluster" that the dealers had a hard time keeping them in stock when they first appeared.

Maybe the economy will keep a few more in the showroom for us to look at.

I got a kick that the reviewer didn't mention the "lackluster" [email protected] reservoirs nor the horribly "lackluster" orange-red paint color (it really can't look that bad in person - or can it!).

Mack

·
Registered
100 Posts
36.75 mpg

36.75 mpg has always been the figure for my 2007gt. I think this is a little more than the official specs.
But then again I did not choose the bike to win the official hypermiling contest. :rotf:

·
IBR# 366
3,198 Posts
iflybricks said:
Do all y'all have a tailwind option on your bike or something? just curious :dunno:
Two words: right wrist. :D

Not just speed limit +10 or +15, but jack-rabbit starts to get there. If you want mileage, set the cruise to no more than 5 over, relax, and enjoy the ride.

I can get 50 mpg but I rarely do. I can also get 25 mpg if I'm in track day mode (full throttle bursts and lots of late braking). But my overall average remains right at 40 mpg with my normal riding patterns. And I'm OK with that. :)

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
39-40 with the Big Aeroflow all the way up

44 with small stock all the way down.

Speed 70 -80 on highway (80% of miles), 0 - 20 around town (20% of miles)

Beats the hell out of 15 mpg for the old mustang GT, plus higher SE grin factor

·
Registered
47 Posts
Meese said:
Two words: right wrist. :D
Second that!

Everyday driving 42 ish not much lower. Trip mode just taking it easy is 50 no problem. This is much better than the LT which I only got 38 everyday and maybe low 40's on trips.

That right hand will also cost you in rear tires (tyres) if you are not careful :)

Cheers,

·
IBR# 366
3,198 Posts
YYZED said:
That right hand will also cost you in rear tires (tyres) if you are not careful :)
Second that! :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
"Lacklustre".

I think he meant to say "Bike of the year, TWICE in a row".

What's up this guy's ass? What a fuc**ing idiot.

Won't even bother reading it.

I never thought I'd think Shiva was a better writer than someone else...

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would really like to know how much saddle time Ash had before he wrote his review. I would bet they gave him the bike for a few days at best before he wrote the review.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Huh?

Brahma said:
"Lacklustre".

I think he meant to say "Bike of the year, TWICE in a row".

What's up this guy's ass? What a fuc**ing idiot.

Won't even bother reading it.

I never thought I'd think Shiva was a better writer than someone else...
I have to wonder what some of you guys are reading -- or not reading, as the case may be. It's REALLY hard to understand how someone can form such a strong opinion based upon something that he hasn't read. I just don't get it.

I'm not an apologist for Kevin Ash nor do I always agree with what he writes, but his article in the Telegraph actually was quite positive. The reference to the K12GT as "lacklustre" appeared only in the tagline, which I suspect was written by a headline writer and not by Ash himself.

For a more detailed review, and one in which the dreaded "L" word does not appear, see http://www.ashonbikes.com/bmwk1300gt . You might want to read it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I read the review, and where opinion is given, I have no problem, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but I think his description of the side cases is factually incorrect.

·
IBR# 366
3,198 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
I would really like to know how much saddle time Ash had before he wrote his review.
I dunno, why don't you just ask him? He posted in this thread as bikescribe. He seemed pretty amenable to answering our questions and clearing things up over there.

You gotta realize that journalists have a job to do and a paycheck to collect just like everyone else. Their job is to sell magazines, but more importantly, advertising pages in those magazines. And who do you think spends the most cash on those full color ad pages? You all know their logos by sight . . .

If they trash every bike they ride, they'll soon not be getting any more calls for new bike launches. But if every bike is awesome and amazing, then they lose all credibility. So most of them tend to focus heavily on the positive aspects of a new model, while reminding you of all the negatives on the old model so that you want to upgrade. That's just how the business works.

But in my read, Kevin was mighty impressed with the new K13's. And his take on the GT is even more impressive coming from a guy who gets paid to ride 400-lb 200-mph sport bikes every day.

Questioning a reviewers opinions is normal, and in fact good for a consumer. But refusing to even read an entire article based on a simple tag line is downright ignorant. And comparing anyone directly to Shiva is just plain mean. :D

So cut the guy some slack, and if you have a question, just ask him.

·
Registered
646 Posts
"Lacklustre" said it all to me. That's all. If that's the best he can come up with, he's obviously not the reviewer he thinks he is, and I won't bother reading it.

·
IBR# 366
3,198 Posts
Brahma said:
"Lacklustre" said it all to me. That's all. If that's the best he can come up with, he's obviously not the reviewer he thinks he is, and I won't bother reading it.
Yeah, spoken just like a Proud Owner. ;)

I'm not saying lacklustre is the word I would have used, then again, I doubt that he wrote the title or tag line. Those are done by editors, who simply want to grab your attention and sell magazines.

If you're completely happy with your '06, then you're probably better off remaining that way.

But from all accounts, the K13 truly is what the K12 was supposed to be, but never quite was.

·
Registered
501 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
I read the review, and where opinion is given, I have no problem, everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but I think his description of the side cases is factually incorrect.
How so? They are two-piece shells after all.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts