BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yeah, there is some lost space. I don't think it's such a problem. On the lid there is a inner liner, whatever holds the hooks in is all hidden. On the inner part, all the cables or linkages that make everything work is hidden between the inner and outer cases. You can really notice there is missing space on the rear upper section of the saddlebag, if you open it up and look.
Gilly

·
Registered
749 Posts
Maybe it's me, but you guys really think the side cases are too small?

A bigger issue now is the size of the panniers. They’re fully integrated in the design and come as standard, but they have rather thick walls so the interior dimensions are small – just about big enough for one, but not really adequate if you carry a pillion, even with the optional top box. This is, after all, a touring bike so these things matter (especially when you can’t fit aftermarket alternatives).

Ash makes the size of the side cases the "big issue" I think that's plain wrong. Just for shit's and giggles I just went in the garage with a Nolan N-com 102 and either side case swallows it no problem. Ken, I took your suggestion, and sent Kevin an e-mail asking how much saddle time he has with the K1300GT before writting the review. If he replies I will share it with you guys on this thread.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Compared to the Integral case I had on my brick, I think it's OK. It would LOOK to be larger on the GT, but no payout, due to the thick walls. DEEPER yes, the GT bags are way easier to put a helmet in and can go in most any which way. I'm sure others are familiar with getting a helmet in an integral bag (upside down, then slightly canted in towards the seat, etc).
The problem i seem to have is the bag length. I have this Amercan Tourister bag for work (would sort of call it a briefcase, but it's a softsided sort of thing, for logbook, tools, ticket pouch, maps, stuff like that) and I have a heck of a time getting it in to that bag compared to the Integral case. I have yet to do an overnighter with the GT (LUCKILY we're busy at work especially in the nice weather season. Good for getting the bike paid for, bad for enjoying it for more than a day trip), I think it will work fine though, just this one weird thing where I wish the case were maybe 2-3 inches longer fore/aft, or where having a simpler latch system and no double wall would fix the problem.

Gilly

·
Registered
646 Posts
Meese said:
Yeah, spoken just like a Proud Owner. ;)

I'm not saying lacklustre is the word I would have used, then again, I doubt that he wrote the title or tag line. Those are done by editors, who simply want to grab your attention and sell magazines.

If you're completely happy with your '06, then you're probably better off remaining that way.

But from all accounts, the K13 truly is what the K12 was supposed to be, but never quite was.

Supposed to be what? Bike of the year? Or a pickup truck like the way you load it down? :)

·
IBR# 366
3,198 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
Maybe it's me, but you guys really think the side cases are too small?
Nope, not me.

Have you seen the factory saddlebags on an FJR, ST13, or C14? In each case, the overall "styling" shapes means there's much less useable space in any of those.

Trust me, BMW has had decades to learn how to do luggage right. Now if only they could cut the empty weight down a bit . . .

·
IBR# 366
3,198 Posts
Brahma said:
Supposed to be what? Bike of the year?
I'll give it Bike of the Year, especially compared to its direct competition. And even then, the K12 is not up to BMW's normal standards. Serious (and sometimes downright dangerous) fueling issues, multiple drivetrain weaknesses (and occasionally complete failures), and a rash of manufacturing issues that never should have gotten past the quality control people keep the K12 from being all the bike it really should be.

Note that I'm not using any specific model designations here, as these issues apply equally to all the Slant/4 K-bikes.

By all accounts, the K13 has finally fixed all those things, and gives a nice power bump as well. In a perfect world, anyone who has suffered through all the K12's teething problems should simply be handed a K13 with a "thank you for your support" smile. But the world is far from perfect, and so is the original K12.

Now I say "by all accounts" only because I haven't ridden one yet myself. But my dealer has two demo K13GTs in stock now, and it's supposed to be great riding weather in SoCal this weekend. :ricky

Brahma said:
Or a pickup truck like the way you load it down? :)
Well, when you don't own a car, you make do with what you have. I'm OK with that. :D

BTW, any time you want to go riding with me and my pickup, just let me know. I'll try to keep up. ;)

·
Registered
749 Posts
Meese said:
Nope, not me.

Have you seen the factory saddlebags on an FJR, ST13, or C14? In each case, the overall "styling" shapes means there's much less useable space in any of those.

Trust me, BMW has had decades to learn how to do luggage right. Now if only they could cut the empty weight down a bit . . .
I agree, and since I managed to break three of the orange locking tabs on my RT I even like the new locking system. I'm familiar with the FJR, and went to Newfoundland with a guy who was riding one. I wouldn't want to swap with his side cases. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Meese said:
By all accounts, the K13 has finally fixed all those things, and gives a nice power bump as well.
Now I say "by all accounts" only because I haven't ridden one yet myself.
I am glad you qualified your statement, because I think it will be several months before we really know what the K13 is really all about. Time has a funny way of exposing weaknesses.

As for the K12, well, mine too has a few issues that I need to sort out, mostly fueling issues. Once that is solved, I believe I'll have a bike that will surpass my R12 in every way.

[/hijack]

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Bandera said:
...I think it will be several months before we really know what the K13 is really all about. Time has a funny way of exposing weaknesses.
Ain't that the truth!

I want to be the first to say, "My K1300GT's transmission locked up," "The final drive failed and left me stranded along the road in Wyoming," or "My dash light's on and won't turn off." :deadhorse

Kevin Ash can have the "Hey, I can't open the side case! No matter, it's too small anyway" complaint. :spank1:

There. Now I feel better.

Mack

·
Registered
749 Posts
I received a prompt response from Kevin regarding my inquiry, and regarding saddle time it's about what I expected, as promised here is his response:

Hi Dan,

I spent two days riding from Malaga to Seville in Spain then west to Faro in Portugal, not direct routes but on all sorts of roads in a variety of conditions. I was swopping between the GT, the S and the R although I spent most time with the GT, probably covering around 400 miles on it.

Kevin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brahma said:
"Lacklustre" said it all to me. That's all. If that's the best he can come up with, he's obviously not the reviewer he thinks he is, and I won't bother reading it.
I thought his review was mostly fair. Many on this actual board have complained about various aspects of their K1200GT and when Ashe felt like the K1300GT addressed those, he said so. Lets face it, no bike is perfect and there have been plenty of vocal folks around here speak up with regards to their K1200GT and K1200S.

Personally, the K1200GT had problems that it shouldn't have and it is nice to see that BMW has made an effort to address them.

·
IBR# 366
3,198 Posts
Bandera said:
I think it will be several months before we really know what the K13 is really all about. Time has a funny way of exposing weaknesses.
I'm not so sure about that. The K13 is just a polish of the K12, with each change directly addressing some specific issue. So I don't expect any major new problems, because the base platform is extremely good already. If anything, maybe there will still be a few old things that they haven't quite fixed properly yet.

mmonroe said:
Personally, the K1200GT had problems that it shouldn't have and it is nice to see that BMW has made an effort to address them.
Exactly. Although I'm a little peeved that I have to buy a new model to fix all those problems that it shouldn't have had in the first place. But that's just BMW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Meese said:
Exactly. Although I'm a little peeved that I have to buy a new model to fix all those problems that it shouldn't have had in the first place. But that's just BMW.
In addition to the admission price being high, that is the part where owning a semi-exotic limited production run bike/car bites you on the ass. It can be a tough pill to swallow at times. :teeth

·
Registered
749 Posts
Meese said:
I'm not so sure about that. The K13 is just a polish of the K12, with each change directly addressing some specific issue. So I don't expect any major new problems, because the base platform is extremely good already. If anything, maybe there will still be a few old things that they haven't quite fixed properly yet.

Beta tester remember :)

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
mmonroe said:
In addition to the admission price being high, that is the part where owning a semi-exotic limited production run bike/car bites you on the ass. It can be a tough pill to swallow at times. :teeth
Or at least a very expensive one!

Gilly

·
IBR# 366
3,198 Posts
2008-K1200GT said:
Beta tester remember :)
Oh, I know. Love the bike, but I still carry tie down straps, just in case. ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
I really hope you are correct. I know the R12RT solved (at least for me) all of the deficiencies of the R1150RT; range, power, fueling, and handling. The price for all the improvements was an ugly looking bike (is there a parallel with the KGT)--still, I loved every mile I owned it.

If I can get the last bit of low speed fueling sorted out on my K12GT I am going to be one happy owner.

Here is to better times for the K13GT owners!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Bandera said:
I really hope you are correct. I know the R12RT solved (at least for me) all of the deficiencies of the R1150RT; range, power, fueling, and handling. The price for all the improvements was an ugly looking bike (is there a parallel with the KGT)--still, I loved every mile I owned it.

If I can get the last bit of low speed fueling sorted out on my K12GT I am going to be one happy owner.

Here is to better times for the K13GT owners!
Wow scary, I have the same squawk list with my R1150RT, except range, that was never an issue. In fact I'm always the last guy in the group who needed fuel. 6.6 gallons was pretty good, I'm sure I won't get that range with my GT. The GT solved the power complaint, fueling is better than my RT(I know I'm lucky with that so far) handling way better. Oh yeah I don't think it's ugly. :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Who is this Kevin Ash and why should I give a fuck what this wanker thinks? His writing appears lacklustre to me.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts