BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new lock cylinder for my system case on my '03 K1200GT. I followed BMW instructions to match the new lock to my existing key. Instructions end with "Performance test". The key works--lock opens and closes fine. Thought I was done, but found the key would not come out of the lock cylinder. I can't figure out how to remove the cylinder, either.
Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Could a locksmith do it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Typically key will not come out in the unlocked position.Only comes out when bag is locked.

Removing the cylinder? Key has to be in the unlocked position and if I remember the K bags are just like that:

https://youtu.be/1Ul9BjNjKQk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, H96669! The video was excellent, and it took about 10 seconds for me to get the cylinder out.
Unfortunately I still don't know what I did wrong that caused the key to get stuck in the first place. I'll probably have a locksmith make the next attempt.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Have a good look inside the barrel? There could be burrs in there that could prevent the tabs from coming out of the cylinder thus locking the key in?

I had a hard time with my ignition key a while back.Plenty of burrs,notches etc inside the barrel,had to file and smoothen that with my diamond gunsmith files.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look for burrs but probably go the locksmith route anyway. Don't want to take a chance of screwing it up again.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you put an extra plate in the lock cylinder, the key won't come out of a bag lock. Only the ignition cylinder is able to have all the plates installed. The instructions are difficult to decipher but the rear most slot on the bag cylinder has the locking plate ( the one with the open end) and the next slot forward toward outside is required to be empty as I remember. The problem is that the plate cannot move in the bag cylinder hole so the key cannot be removed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turns out I mixed the instructions for keying the ignition with those for keying the bag lock (only uses 3 wafers rather than 4 like the ignition). Works fine now. I appreciate all the help I got here AND on the MOA forum. A lot of knowledge on both sites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts