BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my K12S last night and noticed that the side case locks are different from the ignition key. I had assumed the cases would be keyed to the bike's ignition key. Anyone know if you can do this with the new K as in all the previous models from BMW?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Locks don't come with the bags. You pay extra for them. You can pay less for locks but they won't match the ignition key. You can pay more to get matched locks. Matched locks have to be ordered from Germany. Lastly if the service department is willing to spend the time they can rekey the lock to make it match but it is not easy as BMW as changed how the locks are made. I am a salesman at a BMW dealership ishow I know.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It took about three weeks for my keyed-locks to arrive from Germany when I got my K12R back in September. I think I got my plates from the State before I got working bags.

·
Registered
107 Posts
May be different regions have different selling rules? My cases did take longer to arrive than my bike, but all the BMW cases here, at least in Western Australia, are sold with matching locks/keys as standard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
peteo said:
Locks don't come with the bags. You pay extra for them. You can pay less for locks but they won't match the ignition key. You can pay more to get matched locks. Matched locks have to be ordered from Germany. Lastly if the service department is willing to spend the time they can rekey the lock to make it match but it is not easy as BMW as changed how the locks are made. I am a salesman at a BMW dealership ishow I know.

But can they rekey the top case lock? My local BMW dealer says that they can't rekey the top case on an 08 BMW K1200GT. I found this really hard to believe. Is this that they can't, or don't want to.

Cheers.
Phil

·
Registered
100 Posts
Boston Bagger said:
But can they rekey the top case lock? My local BMW dealer says that they can't rekey the top case on an 08 BMW K1200GT. I found this really hard to believe. Is this that they can't, or don't want to.
Yes, the topcase, both sizes, may be rekeyed like any other.

·
Registered
557 Posts
knutk said:
Yes, the topcase, both sizes, may be rekeyed like any other.
BMW included the removal and rekeying of the top case in one of their training videos. It's somewhat difficult to pop the lock from the case...working blind to push the tab in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought side cases for my k1200r last weekend. While one salesman was pulling the order out of the stockroom, the other was rekeying the new locks that were bought with the new bags. Both locks were matched to my ignition key before the invoice was typed up. You should be able to get your bags to match your ignition key in just a few minutes without ordering anything from Germany.

·
Registered
557 Posts
They were asking about the top case, while any of the locks can be reeked by the dealer, the top case is particularly difficult to remove the lock once it's installed for rekeying.
But there is a procedure, and it can be done. I can see why a dealer may not think so or say it can't be done.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I bought my 28L topcase last year, my goal was to get matching locks.

As mentioned, you have to order the locks separately, and you have 3 choices.

1 Get a lock with a random pattern key
2 Order a lock matched to your bike
3 Get a lock designed to be rekeyed.

In the dealers documentation, option 1 and 3 was distinguished by separate numbers, but otherwise no clear explanation (Labeled: 'Lock cylinder as per code').

Option 1 and 3 are similar priced, while option 2 is more expensive.

I went for option 3, and the lock came with 8 plates, 4 different patterns with 2 of each.

Further, the dealer had a small case (supplied by BMW) with several more patterns to be used if the 4 supplied did not match.

·
Registered
557 Posts
knutk said:
When I bought my 28L topcase last year, my goal was to get matching locks.

As mentioned, you have to order the locks separately, and you have 3 choices.

1 Get a lock with a random pattern key
2 Order a lock matched to your bike
3 Get a lock designed to be rekeyed.

In the dealers documentation, option 1 and 3 was distinguished by separate numbers, but otherwise no clear explanation (Labeled: 'Lock cylinder as per code').

Option 1 and 3 are similar priced, while option 2 is more expensive.

I went for option 3, and the lock came with 8 plates, 4 different patterns with 2 of each.

Further, the dealer had a small case (supplied by BMW) with several more patterns to be used if the 4 supplied did not match.

When the bikes first came out, the locks were not easily rekeyable. Then by a year or so, they came our with rekeyable locks. You can still order the locks in code, but at a much greater cost. It is entirely possible that used bags will come with the hard to rekey locks (they have little springs and rods and crimped top lids to remove the rods so you can remove the plates to rekey).
Again, the top case locks are hard to remove from the case...but it can be done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I rekeyed both the large and small top cases on my K1200GT after getting them off ebay

used the method here

http://www.ebbo.org/re_keying.php

You can swap around the wafers etc or (slightly less security) you can use a dremel to ensure the existing wafers sit flush when your key is in.

It's a similar process for all BMW case keys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts