BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

I'm participating in my first track day on the GT next week. In the bike prep section of my class, it states that I must disconnect the headlight and tailight. I plan to ride my bike to the track that morning, so I'll have to do this track side before the day begins. What's the quickest and easiest way for me to do this?

Any other advice from you track day veterans?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would guess pull a fuse, but that might throw a code.

Richard has done track days maybe he will chime in later.

Have fun and be smooth, delay apex, smooth on throttle at high lean angle. Okay, I am jealous.

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
The track days I have been to allow either inoperable lights or covered/taped lights. I have always used the blue painters tape and never had a problem passing inspection. The blue tape also comes off very cleanly.

·
IBR# 366
3,151 Posts
It's simpler than all that.

With the engine running and the bike stopped:
Press & Hold the Turn Signal Cancel button 5 seconds
Press & Hold the Right Turn Signal Button for 5 seconds
The low beam shuts off.

To turn the Low Beam back on, simply Turn On or Flash the High Beam switch. Note that shutting off and restarting the bike will turn the low beam on again as normal, so you'd have to do this every time.

You can easily pull the tail light bulbs, but that will throw an annoying warning light on the dash. I'd go with the painter's tape for that one. :)

As for the track day, have fun, be safe, and remember that smooth is always the fastest way around the track. The GT is plenty capable, so it's really your own comfort level that you're exploring here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
TJD said:
Hey all -

I'm participating in my first track day on the GT next week. In the bike prep section of my class, it states that I must disconnect the headlight and tailight. I plan to ride my bike to the track that morning, so I'll have to do this track side before the day begins. What's the quickest and easiest way for me to do this?

Any other advice from you track day veterans?

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,

If it's with Max and fish tail you can just tape over them so nothing shines through. Don't worry about over heating the lens mine did not when I did it last year with my GT. Have fun and watch for tire spin out of 6 into 7. The bike wants to break it loose around 7k :)

Cheers

·
Registered
498 Posts
dhanson said:
I would guess pull a fuse, but that might throw a code.

Richard has done track days maybe he will chime in later.

Have fun and be smooth, delay apex, smooth on throttle at high lean angle. Okay, I am jealous.
I'd also call and confirm, but tape would be the easiest way. I did one track day and sure had a ball:

That thread is here.

I hope you have as much fun as I did!!!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've done the Fishtail school with Max on my KGT. The tape method is supported. No problem.

If you're at NHIS the track tends to have some significant bumps and dips. Besides peg feelers I also scraped the sidestand foot enlarger from Wunderlich, but more importantly the lower, black portions of the fairing.

As a result, I would also recommend increasing rebound by selecting the driver with luggage or the two-up ESA setting. That may provide sufficient clearance to save your fairing. Some however, prefer the "badge" such markings infer. Your choice.

But most importantly remember - - - - - - delay the apex. Go deep young Skywalker and may the Force be with you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree with Chris on the suspension set up. If you set for rider only you will grind some stuff. I had mine set to rider and luggage and in sport mode and it worked great.

I need to get back on the track my self. Of the 8 times I have been I have only six laps in the dry combined :banghead: My luck just has to change soon...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

All great advice guys - Thanks. I 'am' doing Fishtails with Max's and I'll watch for that turn 6/7 issue. I cant imagine I'll be ripping out of turns at 7k during my first track day but you never know. This bike certainly breeds confidence. Goal is to simply learn a few things, have fun and push the envelope just a bit more than I would ever do on the street. I have no aspirations of being a track racer but the idea of becoming a better rider while working corners with guys who know what they're doing sounds like a boatload of fun to me.

Thanks again -
TD

·
Lieu
139 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
Besides peg feelers I also scraped the sidestand foot enlarger from Wunderlich, but more importantly the lower, black portions of the fairing.

As a result, I would also recommend increasing rebound by selecting the driver with luggage or the two-up ESA setting. That may provide sufficient clearance to save your fairing. Some however, prefer the "badge" such markings infer. Your choice.
Things I wish I knew before I went down to NC and rode the Dragon's Tail. The left side only scraped the pegs. I hit pretty hard on the right side though as evidenced by the pic. Gotta tell you, this bike is just awesome!!! :teeth

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Meese said:
It's simpler than all that.

With the engine running and the bike stopped:
Press & Hold the Turn Signal Cancel button 5 seconds
Press & Hold the Right Turn Signal Button for 5 seconds
The low beam shuts off.

To turn the Low Beam back on, simply Turn On or Flash the High Beam switch. Note that shutting off and restarting the bike will turn the low beam on again as normal, so you'd have to do this every time.

You can easily pull the tail light bulbs, but that will throw an annoying warning light on the dash. I'd go with the painter's tape for that one. :)

As for the track day, have fun, be safe, and remember that smooth is always the fastest way around the track. The GT is plenty capable, so it's really your own comfort level that you're exploring here.

VERY interesting !!

Use it all the time after finding out !!

Are there any more "tricks" like that that are NOT in the manual??

There should be more key sequences like this, that perform other interesting functions.

·
IBR# 366
3,151 Posts
I'm sure there are more tricks, but I haven't found any yet.

However, that headlight trick can save your bacon in a dense fog (if you have fog lights installed, that is).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Meese said:
I'm sure there are more tricks, but I haven't found any yet.

However, that headlight trick can save your bacon in a dense fog (if you have fog lights installed, that is).
How did you find out about that trick; Was it just trial and error or did you read about it somewhere; There might be more where that came from ;)

·
IBR# 366
3,151 Posts
K1200GT_GR said:
How did you find out about that trick; Was it just trial and error or did you read about it somewhere; There might be more where that came from ;)
I follow five different US and European forums dedicated to the GT, as well as a few other sites that cover a broader range of BMW, sport-touring, and adventure-touring bikes. Plus I travel quite frequently, so I'm in regular contact with several dealers that I trust.

I've been riding continuously for 30 years and haven't owned a car for 20, so bikes are pretty much a priority for me. Plus being an engineer and gear-head, I usually want to know what's going on in much more detail than the average rider. So I ask a lot of questions, do a lot of research, read a lot of manuals, and when something interesting and useful comes up, I tend to share it with other riders.

This site and it's sister-site BMWLT.com have made a huge difference in my overall enjoyment and understanding of the GT and BMW's in general, which is why I support them with yearly donations. I urge anyone else who has benefitted from this site to do the same. :)

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Meese said:
This site and it's sister-site BMWLT.com have made a huge difference in my overall enjoyment and understanding of the GT and BMW's in general, which is why I support them with yearly donations. I urge anyone else who has benefitted from this site to do the same. :)
+1

k-bikes.com and bmwlt.com have been so helpful to me. Thank you.

I strongly encourage everyone to pitch in with a donation. Do it now!!

It will come back to you ten-fold.

Disclaimer: Other than my participation in the forums, I have no affiliation or relationship with the fine people who make all this possible.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts