BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Kia Ora from NZ & Spline Question

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  FlyingDuck 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :)

Potentially looking at getting a K100RS soon :clap: However all the ones that I'm looking at (ie can afford) have no record of having the spline lubes done - this includes one being sold at a BMW dealer! The ones that I'm looking at are 1987 and 1988 versions. All have just over 100,000 kms on the clocks.
So how do i tell if there may be spline problems on a bike without pulling half the bike apart?
Great site btw and plenty of info on doing the splines, which i don't mind doing but no point if there already knackered or 'rooted' as we say down under!

#2 ·
I'd say you really want to do check the splines before buying the bike especially when there is no record of it having been done. There would be nothing but headaches in your future if the splines were shot. :(

Its a dealer right? They should be able to have it off in 15-20 minutes.

#3 ·
The rear splines aren't hard to check but It takes a LOT more than 15 minutes to check the clutch splines. I pulled apart a local guy's K75RT with similar mileage a few weeks ago and his clutch plate splines were pretty worn so we replaced the clutch plate while we had it opened up.

If there's no record of spline lubes then I'd definitely figure a new clutch plate and the labor to install it into the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.