BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

kinda bummer news

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  03k12RS 
#1 ·
my '04 kgt is only 10 months old and has 20k miles. i've serviced it religiously, and ride it very responsibly. noticed some weeping under the rear boot and when looking closer, saw some weeping in the clutch main area. dealer said seals will be replaced under warranty. he called yesterday, said a leak was beginning at the timing cover and wanted to keep bike and get that fixed too. bad things happen in threes? i'm kinda dissappointed, but i just love the bike so much. hope this is it, i plan to keep the bike for 250,000 miles. btw, the service dept at daytona bmw is great. what a nice bunch of guys!

#2 ·
I can only say I understand how you feel...

Same issues (and more) for my 03 K1200 RS. Good news is that it is warranty work. Suggest you make the most of it, if you want to get any additional work done now is the time when the dealer pulls panels off and strips you bike down to pull the clutch.
I had steel braided lines installed for brakes and clutch, wired my Nav II and added additional power outlet. In addition during strip down had 24k service done, a sheet full of replacement parts all found during this process (example new drive shaft). Bike will be better than new when done. Hang in there, I know it's prime riding weather in FL but at least it's warranty work.

#4 ·
all better

it's all done. rode it back from daytona this morning. they said clutch looked new, but replaced it anyway "we dont want to go back in there". without warranty, bill would have been $1200. oh boy, dodged a bullett. i guess the culprit is teflon seals. bmw insists on using them on k and r bikes. i actually expected better quality the way i treat my bike. i hope the factory gets it together. i dont want to go to the "boring reliability" of the japenese bikes...............but i will if i have to. we'll see. i'll tell u one thing, those boys at daytona bmw are the best. went about their business professionally, and were honest and upfront with me. it's 175 miles over there, but guess where i'm going to for my 24k service. u got it, daytona.

#5 ·
Glad to hear you bike is back, keep an eye on clutch slave cylinder as Ray said. I am a little surprised that you got it back so quick. Usually there is a bit of cure time for resealing. Maybe it depends on type of sealant used when resealing timing cover?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.