BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K100LT is producing some kind of knocking at 2k RPM and above. It seems to idle just fine, but when you give it gas, it starts running rough. A couple of times, it only felt sluggish, with less power, and I was able to keep it at 55mph with a bit of extra throttle. But once, I couldn't even get it to 25mph, and there was a knocking feeling I could feel through the handgrips and my knees, as if someone was rapping the engine with a mallet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKF83Av9Fuw

As background
  • The bike has always been cold-blooded, needing "choke" to start and idle, even at 50 degrees F (10C).
  • I did experience a"power cutting in and out" feeling on it twice last year, both times while riding in heavy rain. I had assumed there was a marginal sparkplug wire, but I pulled the plugs yesterday, and I thought they looked OK (on #2, the insulator tip was white on the sides, but black on the end... weird).
  • I suspect that my battery may be going south. This morning, it wouldn't start the bike; I put it on 1A charger, and it was reported as "full" within 3 hours (I'd expect it to need the chargr overnight). But I still have this problem immediately after charging the battery.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Spark plug wires, the resistance is marked on them, you have to add the one on the plug at the coil to the one at the spark plug, then use an Ohmmeter and see if you are within specs. :confused:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rema1000 said:
[*]I suspect that my battery may be going south. This morning, it wouldn't start the bike; I put it on 1A charger, and it was reported as "full" within 3 hours (I'd expect it to need the chargr overnight). But I still have this problem immediately after charging the battery.
I knew the battery was marginal, but could still start the bike. Before taking the tupperware off, I figured that I'd better start with a known-good battery. I put in a YIX30L-BS (only suitable battery in-stock at the shop), and had a good riding day today, with no issues. :clap:

If that was indeed the issue, that would be interesting: on my first bike, so long as you could get the bike started, you could ride it just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts