BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their seat done by KonTour yet. What is your opinion? They say reshaping is totally unnecessary with their composite foam design. Attached is a picture KonTour sent me.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
I looked at them, but I am unsure what I think about their perforated fabric and what would happen when it gets wet.

Brian

·
This thing needed "K" Power
12 Posts
Sans Kontour, and my first 200 miler - short

OK spill it where does one get this "Kontour" done? Anyone else have a favored seat on the 2nd Gen K seat? I just put 200 miles on mine and I'm dreading the first "real trip".
The bike is awesome (more to follow), too bad I had to find a reason to stop and get off. You guys were right the stock seat is a freakin brick.
Joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I contacted KonTour they stated that they have done over 65 of these seats for 2006 and later K1200GT'S. Its just amazing with all those seats and all of the members here no one has anything to say. I guess no news is good news!

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
billwilsonnow said:
When I contacted KonTour they stated that they have done over 65 of these seats for 2006 and later K1200GT'S. Its just amazing with all those seats and all of the members here no one has anything to say. I guess no news is good news!
hmmm....??

Wasn't the shipment of 2006 GT's around 450 or so? That would be roughly 1 in 7 K1200GT'S has a Kontour seat?

Okay. I'm even more suspicious of their claims. :confused:

·
What, we're out of glue??
88 Posts
billwilsonnow said:
Nah, we've made 65 seats total this year - of all types. We've made a handful of new GT seats with a couple more on order. We've predominately been making seats for the LT for the past 2 years, with a few RT's, Hondas, A few Ducs and a Triumph or two. One Harley. We've been putting off orders for the past two months since we are waiting on a new supply of fabric which matches the exact 06 BMW OEM color - which is more of a dark charcoal grey than black. Since we order only a roll or two at a time (33 meters) we get to wait and wait until the mill gets around to us. Imagine that - waiting on something from Italy to be delivered. :think: The good news is that we should have it in about another 7 - 10 days. (drumming fingers on the desk...)

If you're looking for unbiased opinions on our seat versus other mass produced seats (for the LT) here's a poll that was taken a while back of 140 members: The same technology applies to any seat we build.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=307116&page=&view=&sb=&o=

·
What, we're out of glue??
88 Posts
bnblazer said:
I looked at them, but I am unsure what I think about their perforated fabric and what would happen when it gets wet.

Brian
Our perfed fabric is ideal for riding 95% of the time most American riders are out there: when its warm and sunny. For cold or wet climates we don't recommend it and indeed have turned down a lot of orders from Europe where they of course ride a lot in rain and cold.

The core of the seat is protected by a waterproofing/radiant heat barrier that is made from a spun polyester fabric with a vaporized aluminum coating - which rejects infrared heat. This protects the foam core from ever getting wet since it is glued in place - there are no needle holes for water to weep through, it drains off the sides.

One HUGE attribute of our design is how cool it keeps you during warm weather when monkey butt prevails. When it gets scorching hot you can soak the seat with water, and have air up to 30F cooler than the ambient temperature blowing on your butt.
Since your butt is full of capillaries this also helps to cool your core temperature down as well. The effect is pretty dramatic. Kind of the opposite of heated seats. :D

Water has absolutley no effect on the 100% polyester yarn or breathable mesh - it can go through thousands of cycles of wet and dry with no adverse problems.

We do have a brand new fabric that will be available within a couple of weeks that will be MUCH more suitable for year 'round riders. It is still highly breathable but is not perfed - and it looks and feels like real leather. It is made from 100% polyurethane, is absolutely beautiful and luxurious to the touch - and it won't "wet out" at all. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts