BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I really like my S and all & I can keep up with the boys in the twisty stuff & this thing is perfect on the highway, but I'm noticing more and more how poorly it handles at low speed.

Proper pressure in the (new) M1's, ESA on rider+luggage for this 205 pounder.

I especially notice it after swapping with a friends Tuono or my 600 track bike.

Seems worse than when I got it a few months ago. It's an' 06. Anybody else notice this, or is it just me? Can the damper tighten up?

I've found a temporary solution. I don't ride slow.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
BCC -

Have you set the sag in the rear. VERY important. I like about 1" of sag for quick steering. Try increasing rear preload a few turns. Turn in and steering response should be noticeably quicker.

·
Registered
431 Posts
zx9rmal said:
BCC -

Have you set the sag in the rear. VERY important. I like about 1" of sag for quick steering. Try increasing rear preload a few turns. Turn in and steering response should be noticeably quicker.
He has ESA, you cant set the preload then... And he has the bike set up for rider + luggage so shouldn't have problems.

BCC - can you explain more what you mean by "poor handling" at low speed?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Kneedragger said:
The settings for "single rider', "rider with luggage", and "rider and passenger" are the preload settings.
Yeah, I do understand that :p but preload clicks arent available and he did already mention what setting he was using "rider with luggage"

·
Registered
214 Posts
BCC said:
... I'm noticing more and more how poorly it handles at low speed.
The mighty K just isn't built to go slow and doesn't like to be in city traffic. That's what Harley's and their clones are for. I just try to keep it on the open road and if I get tied up in traffic or somewhere I'm forced to go slow, I just deal with it.
You're never going to make it into a good bike for city or slow speed driving. If you modify the KS to change it's low speed handling characteristics, you may find you've adversely effected it's high speed prowess.

No bike does everything perfect. The R1200GS is the only bike I've ever owned that comes close in most areas but lacks reaching perfection in any one. On the other hand, the KS comes close to perfection in what it was designed for with a few shortcomings in where it was not.

Accepted for what it is and ridden as intended, the positive attributes of the KS far out weigh the minor issues.

You will find inner peace and happiness accepting the KS for what it is and you'll and save a ton of cash and time other wise wasted trying to defy it's nature.

JMHO of course :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
adjustable torque arm

evoluzione said:
though i might be slightly biased, you may want to look at our adjustable torque arm. this allows you to increase rear ride height which helps turn-in.
That's what I'm trying, I just bought one last night. I'm sure the torque arm will help and has received very good reviews from everyone that's tried it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. It is the turn-in that's the issue. I mean the bike is stable as anything, it's just that I'm noticing the (relatively) poor lower speed manoeuvrability more & more, and was wondering if it was just me.

H'mmm, adjustable torque arm. I'll check it out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
long wheelbase, not that big of a deal, it's really not. You'll get used to it, practice and practice some more. I live in a pretty highly congested area, and after nearly 11,000 miles this ain't a concern. As a matter of fact, I play a little game where I see how slow I can go without putting my foot down, something I'm sure most of you have done...I don't find this bike any harder than other other bike I've had to do that with. As far as the torque arm, I have a shorter one on my 1100S that helps, but someone help me with this...I'm of the firm belief that in order to enjoy it's benefits, ya have to be moving along at something north of "low-speed" manuevering speeds. In real world stop-go suburban congestion, it's not a factor or at best, it's a slight factor. Before anyone miscontrues, after seeing the benefits on my other S, I'll probably get one for the KS...but it won't be for it's very low speed capabilities.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have to agree with the thought that the "S" is pretty good at low speed. I find that more often than not, I am able to come to a complete stop before I have to put my foot down at a stop light or stop sign. In the 2,500 miles I have put on it in the last 5 weeks, I would say this is probably the most stable bike I have owned yet...

...My 'GT on the other hand... I have 30k + miles on it and most of the time I wabble to the line instead of a solid stop.

I find that the best way to get a complete stop before I put my foot down is the be looking straight ahead and if the car in front has a nice shiny paint job, I can see my reflection and see me coming to a stop.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I rode a K12RS a couple of years ago and also felt that it was pretty awkward at slow speeds. This is compared to my '85 K100RS, which isn't all that nimble around town either. But the contrast between the remarkable stability of the K12 at speed, and it's gawky behavior going to get groceries, is more noticeable than the difference in high and low speed manners of my older bike. I stuck with my older, more comfortable baby, although all the later K's are obviously much faster in a straight line. I like to say that the perfect bike for anyone is the one who's imperfections you mind the least. It's always a trade-off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts