BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My seat is almost impossible to unlock. It looks like I could dremel a bit of the seat pan
to let the latch free up easier. Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, what
did you do about it?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Unlocking is OK but not easy. I've found it a right b*****d to get it to lock back on even applying a lot of pressure to the seat.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I dont have any problem with the seat on mine , have to push down firmly to get it to lock back on, but then I also remember back in the early K12RS days when getting the seat on was considered the "Secret Handshake" of the bike.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A firm push on the passenger part of the seat, while turning the key is the trick, but I also think it loosens up a bit(or I'm getting better at it) with age.

I remember when I first got it, thinking the key was going to twist off!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Same experience, I thought the key would break off in the lock as well. Owners manual says make sure the bike is in gear before pushing down and foward to release the latch. I waxed up the latch which resulted in it taking a lot less effort to operate.
I wonder what the reasoning was behind this design?

·
Registered
58 Posts
This might help.

I have been having the same problem and it has gotten worse lately. I did find a bit of a fix.

There are two rubber buttons on either side of the latch point on the underside of the seat. They rest on two points on either side of the latch and are the source of the problem. I noticed that one was scrubbing away the little label it rested upon, exposing the gum residue from the label. I scraped away the label and residue and applied a bit of grease to both rubber buttons to help them slide a bit. It helped. The buttons need to slide a bit to release the seat. It also might be a bit aggravated by cold weather, making the buttons a bit stiffer and harder to compress.

Bronston

·
Registered
107 Posts
Me too. I find this seat lock the worst-designed part of the bike, or any other brand's seat lock for that matter. I find that by pushing down at the position right on top of the lock reduce the effort a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts