BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
laminar lip

I am 5'8".I put one on my 96 K1100rs,I am now in a cocoon,no wind buffiting,which was bad. I just put one on my 02 1200rs,standard windshield with the same results. Don't worry about it blowing off,I went up to 130 with no problem.Just follow the directions when installing.
Ray

·
Registered
94 Posts
Larry said:
Anyone use one of these?
I have one on my '04. I am 6'1" so I am not in a "cocoon" but well protected from the wind. What I like is being able to get some air in the summer and not in th ewinter. The Ztecknik touring screen I had could not be put in the lower position.

I am very pleased with my Lip.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
lip on RS screen

Yeah, I installed a tinted one on mine.....great in cooler weather/long rides.....used sleeve bolts and rubber grommets instead of their velcro...yep, I drilled the screen (whew!) but it turned out great..use hole plugs when it's off.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Laminar Lip vs. "Comfort" Windscreen

Hi All,

Just a bit curious if anyone has any experience with a Laminar Lip on a regular screen vs. a "Comfort" Screen (aka the screen on the GT)?

They seemsimilar in shape; I like the idea of mounting the laminar lip in the winter on an RS screen and being able to take it off in the summer and have the RS screen.

I have the GT screen that came with my bike - be kinda nice to have that flexibility w/o having to remove a windscreen....

alow

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
lip on RS screen

Yes, mine is on the RS tinted screen....check out my previous post for pic.....I like it much better than the GT screen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
milkman said:
Yes, mine is on the RS tinted screen....check out my previous post for pic.....I like it much better than the GT screen.

Hey Milkman,
I have a GT with a short tinted wind screen, I don't think it is as tinted as yours. Does the Lip really work that good? I am 5' 10" after reading your post and others got me thinking of buying one. I have the OEM on for cold weather, you still get wind noise with the OEM. The tinted one is a bit shorter, possibly like an RS screen. Not sure, it came with the GT when I purchased it. Definitely shorter than OEM. May I also ask where you purchased the Lip.

Thank you

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
lip on RS screen

magellan44 said:
Hey Milkman,
I have a GT with a short tinted wind screen, I don't think it is as tinted as yours. Does the Lip really work that good? I am 5' 10" after reading your post and others got me thinking of buying one. I have the OEM on for cold weather, you still get wind noise with the OEM. The tinted one is a bit shorter, possibly like an RS screen. Not sure, it came with the GT when I purchased it. Definitely shorter than OEM. May I also ask where you purchased the Lip.
I think our screens are the same tint....my picture is a little dark.
When you go to http://www.laminarlip.com/applications.htm click "K1200RS Standard" on the 2002-on line...you'll see another pic...you can also order from that site....I am 5'10" also....it will not eliminate buffetting....for me, in the low position, it raises the flow just above my faceshield so that my helmet vents still function, and widens the overall "tunnel" a bit.....there's still wind on my shoulders and I like it that way....up position is good for rain....if you get it I'll be glad to send more pics if you decide to mount it like I did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes... once.... just like yours with the tall windshield. I am 6' tall and the wind just shook my head over 50MPH not good. If you want it it is on Ebay under the Ebay name of Riverfurm.

Furman

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi! I'm about the same height (30-31 inseam)...I put the Laminar Lip on my GT OEM screen and it's the world of difference...much less wind noise/way smoother around the helmet...I leave the screen in the lowest position and it is heaven. I knocked it off once(the laminar lip) and had to ride with just the stock screen, I forgot how much buffeting and noise there was with just the stock screen...I'd highly recommend the Lip!
http://www.laminarlip.com/

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Laminar Lip

I have one on my 2002RS Comfort screen and it is absolutely the cats beeeehind. I too like some wind in my face. I ride with my faceshield up 95% of the time. With the screen in the down position, it still cuts alot of wind. In the up position, it's fantastic, mind you I'm coming off a KLT so I was very spoiled, still am. I have the stock screen and may try a lip on it to see. I may try to lower the Lip on my screen a bit for visibility reasons. Good Luck in your decision. If you don't like it, you'll have no problem finding someone to take it off your hands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lips

Laminarlip.com
I have one on my 04 GS Adventure and I love it. 6.1, it moves the wind just over the top of my head. Just bought one for the 03 K12GT, but have not installed it yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Near New Laminar Lip - For Sale

Bobmws said:
Anyone have one for sale for an 04 RS?
2/9/2006 @ 16:12 EST : Update, sale pending.

=====================================

Bob,

I have a near new laminar lip for sale. It size the lip which fits the 2002+ RS STANDARD screen. I use both the standard and comfort screens on my bike and meant to order the lip for the comfort screen.

I temporarily mounted the lip to the bike using rubber backed pinch clamps and took two 30 mile rides with it. New it sells for $79 + $10 shipping. I'll put it on your doorstep for $70.

Matt

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sounds good!

02k12rs said:
2/9/2006 @ 16:12 EST : Update, sale pending.

=====================================

Bob,

I have a near new laminar lip for sale. It size the lip which fits the 2002+ RS STANDARD screen. I use both the standard and comfort screens on my bike and meant to order the lip for the comfort screen.

I temporarily mounted the lip to the bike using rubber backed pinch clamps and took two 30 mile rides with it. New it sells for $79 + $10 shipping. I'll put it on your doorstep for $70.

Matt
PM sent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.