BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experiance with the Laminar Lip. I have a 2002 K1200rs with the tall windshield but I still get a lot of wind noise. I thought of buying a Cee Bailey's windshield but they are 2 inches wider regardless of what hieght you buy. I put in some handelbar risers and my current windsheild has to go all the way up to park the bike because the risers raise the mirrors and the mirrors hit the winsheild when turn all the way to the left or right if in the lower position. Any Ideas

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got a laminar lip on my GT. It helped. I don't get the stellar, no noise, can ride with no earplug reviews others mention. But it does help. I'm 6'1 with standard bars.

If you can find someone nearby that has one installed, ask for a ride and see if it's worth it to you. Knowing what I know now, I don't think I would spend the money for the improvement I realized.

FWIW, the lip is still on the screen.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I dont want to be a buzz kill but........

I bought one but sold it. It DOES work but not as well as I hoped. I hate wind noise and have been working on it for a while. I'm 6-1 with a 34" inseam. I have a GT with standard bar set up. I purchased a Cee Baileys +2 windshield. It does much more than the lip and also helps with the buffeting that effected my pillion but not me. It really works well but here we go-:) It's kinda ugly and I'm not thrilled with the workmanship.

pm me if you want pics......

·
Registered
197 Posts
one other thing

I bought those er6 earplugs for my ipod. Nothing gets rid of windnoise like those ear plugs. If you like music while you ride that's the cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rocky,

I have the Laminar Lip on my KGT and have been thrilled with the results.

Prior to the "LIP", I installed the Cee Bailey's +4 windscreen. Bottom line, the CB was dog-ugly and gave my beautiful bike a sort of "Don King" look. Furthermore, the CB windscreen had a noticible flaw directly in the center. When I returned it, Cee Bailey's completely ignored my request for a refund for almost three months. I had to literally threaten them to get my money back. I found them to be very unethical in their business practices, and downright rude and arrogant when it came time to address my problems with their product. However, I will say this, the +4 CB is no wider than the stock (OEM) screen. When I placed my +4 CB on top of my OEM screen for comparison, the widths were identical. The only difference is the height. Again, I will forevermore refuse to do business with Cee Bailey's. In my opinion, they are a bunch of charlatans, with no regard for customer service.

On the other hand, the Laminar Lip folks were very pleasant, indeed. When I made my purchase I wasn't expecting much. I received it on a Thursday, the day before I was suppose to leave for the Georgia Mountain Rally. I installed the LIP (on my stock screen) the afternoon I received it, without a test ride. The next morning I loaded up my bike about 4 AM and took off to meet some friends about 5 miles down the road. Once out on the open road, I was astonished. Literally amazed. I could hear the bike motor whirring and, when the screen was in the full-up position, I was in a "cone of stillness." The turbulance and windnoise was all but gone. All I can say is the Laminar Lip worked majic for me and was well worth the $75.00 spent. Personally, I've gotten kind of used to it on my KGT and leave it on all the time. It gives the bike sort of an aggressive "air foil" look. At the very least, it looks waay better than that big ol' CeeBailey's barndoor.

By the way, I'm 5'9 1/2" tall.....5'10" if I'm stretched on a torture rack all night. The LIP, in full-up position, raises the turbulance to a level of about 4" over the top of my Shoei X-11. Oh yes, when I mounted the LIP on my bike, rather than mount it flush with the top of the OEM screen, I mounted it about 1" (on center) higher than my stock windscreen. If you decide to go with the LIP, you may want to play with the placement to see what works best for you.

I wish you the best of luck my friend............OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for your input I guess I'll try and find someone that has one and see if it works for me

·
Registered
94 Posts
rocky1200 said:
Does anyone have any experiance with the Laminar Lip. I have a 2002 K1200rs with the tall windshield but I still get a lot of wind noise. I thought of buying a Cee Bailey's windshield but they are 2 inches wider regardless of what hieght you buy. I put in some handelbar risers and my current windsheild has to go all the way up to park the bike because the risers raise the mirrors and the mirrors hit the winsheild when turn all the way to the left or right if in the lower position. Any Ideas
I switched from a Z-Technik touring screen to the Lip. The Z-Technik screen had to be in the up position or my controls would hit and it blocked too much air in the summer. I get similar wind protection from the Lip in the up position and more air in the lower position on hot days.

Neither was a "cone of silence".

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm 6'0 and have a LIP on my GT. My suspicion is that if I were 2" shorter, the reduction in wind noise would be more impressive. As is, it does make an improvement but probably not worth the purchase price. Solid ear plugs make a bigger difference.

Call it pride but there's just no way I could put one of those butt-fugly Cee Bailey fly swatters on my bike. I'd rather freeze/drown. I suppose big old baggy woolen underwear and work boots on a woman are more practical too but....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Unlike taller screens, expect a small mpg improvement with a lip. Have no further need for ear plugs. Did not know the engine sounded so good at cruise speed until the lip went on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got a lip on my 03 GT , it works good . as you see on the pic. I made it adjustable when I used 3M dual lock strips. I am six foot and put my seat up high.

·
Registered
848 Posts
yes

5'10" 32" inseam. The lip quited things down for me a lot. I placed it as high as i could on the stock GT shield.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I am 6'4", put the laminar lip on tall shield. Works great, no ear plugs, can ride with face shield up, does get a bit warm in summer. I will put on my original short shield when it gerts really hot out so I get a bit more air blast. The Lip has been great for cross country rides.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks to you, Rocky1200 and the rest of the porsters here, I too ordered and installed the Laminar Lip on my RS. I'm 6' and I have a standard screen.
Lip works really well... very impressed with service and effect. I have my doubts about the 3M mounting ...but will give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment...

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
3m

Vanguard said:
I have my doubts about the 3M mounting ...but will give it the benefit of the doubt for the moment...
Don't be scared, the stuff works great. Just follow their instructions when they say it takes like 24 hrs. for the dots to cure. Enjoy! I love mine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with you Mike. the looks of it just don't make me want to put it on the bike I have the earplugs (earific with built in speakers) and they work great. the laminar lip is just another piece of plastic to clean off

·
Registered
80 Posts
where to buy.

Hi folks,
after all the reads, I want to install a lip on my 2004 RS. Just need to find out how to get one in Australia.. Any clues.
Stay well all
Marty

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
lip install

belga1976 said:
I agree with you Mike. the looks of it just don't make me want to put it on the bike I have the earplugs (earific with built in speakers) and they work great. the laminar lip is just another piece of plastic to clean off
Check out the accessories forum for an alternate install method that looks much better.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts