BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, forgive me if this is a silly question

I have a new-to-me 2003 K1200RS. Is the LCD clock/gear indicator supposed to light up when I switch the ignition on?

The clock and the indicator both work fine, but I can't read the time when riding at night as there seems to be no backlight. Is this just how they are? Just asking before I attempt to "fix" something that ain't broke, lol.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yes!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
No light directly in the clock/gear indicator.Instrument lighting is 5(?) bayonet type mini incandescent bulbs.Most were burned a couple years back so I replaced with more incandescent.And most burned within the year.
All LEDs now.
IMG_20201215_173007.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No light directly in the clock/gear indicator.Instrument lighting is 5(?) bayonet type mini incandescent bulbs.Most were burned a couple years back so I replaced with more incandescent.And most burned within the year.
All LEDs now. View attachment 27997
Oooh, I like the blue lights! And your clock is nice and bright. Mine barely gets the faintest glow from the instrument lights, although I can see the temp gauge just fine. Hmmm. I'll get inside the dash tomorrow and take a look. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I like the blue but they'd also come in Red/Green/Yellow/Pink.

Them:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yup. LED's are the way to go. I have a set of red ones as well. But the blue is very soothing and does not degrade your night vision, although arguably, the red IS better for that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I got in there today. Much to my surprise I did not find a burned out bulb. Rather I found an empty socket by the clock! Guess the PO was too cheap to buy a bulb, lol. Anyway, LEDs are on order. Thanks again!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gauges looks great- I like the lights, now yall have gotten me jealous. 😆 QUESTION: how the hell can I set the correct time on my clock?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gauges looks great- I like the lights, now yall have gotten me jealous. 😆 QUESTION: how the hell can I set the correct time on my clock?
There are two small buttons over the clock. One sets hours, the other minutes. You have to use the tip of a pen to push them, your finger will not work

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Do not replace the alternator (charge) light with an LED.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts