BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all gradually fixing things that are breaking on the bike and hoping it will be OK soon however I have now noticed a leak on the left fork. Am I right in thinking that it's not a difficult job changing the seal? One question do I need to take the whole fork off the bike or can I undo the nut on top and pull it out? If so how do I deal with the oil in the fork?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Easy job, but it all comes apart in the downward direction. Remove front brake and wheel, undo each side individually and slide it out. kirk johnson of illinois BMW riders club has an excellent video. He rides an LT, but it's all the same. Because front suspension is paralever, fork oil is just for lubrication, so not pressurized, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guys thought id update you on the fork leaking situation. I found this plastic strip with a hook like end which you put in the seal and twist it round a few times so you take the seal dust cover off and place the plastic in between the fork and the seal and rotate it a few times. I know it sounds crazy but whats even more crazy is that it has fixed the issue. Done over 1000km so far and no oil leak! The BMW dealer wanted 370 euros to replace both fork seals and this strip from Amazon 10 euros!
Anyone else had the same experience?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yep.....seal cleaning.10,000kms/no leaks on one 2yrs ago.But the leak eventually came back so did the quick pull out the stanchion upward/seal replacement method and replaced with a $5.00(?) alternative brand.With plastics off.....15-20 minutes per side?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh Ok so I can remove it upwards leaving the lower fork intact and replace the seal and reassemble right? No need to empty oil out but maybe top up or leave as is?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Ahh Ok so I can remove it upwards leaving the lower fork intact and replace the seal and reassemble right? No need to empty oil out but maybe top up or leave as is?
Yes,very easy job...oil might need a change? Mine did not,was only a year old.
Seals are generic in size for the 99/up,used on 1000s of Japanese bikes so cheap.97/98? Not sure early bikes had different forks so seal might not be the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts